Journey, yet another vocalist [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Journey, yet another vocalist

Mr Peabody
07-07-2006, 08:10 PM
It's true, Steve Algeri is out with a throat infection of some sort and if he didn't stop singing until better he could risk permanent damage. And there were rumors of him lip syncing during some shows and even having to leave the stage before some shows was over.

His replacement, drum roll please! Jeff Scott Soto! Who? That's what I said. I haven't been to it yet but JSS has a website www.jeffscottsoto.com

I think the first thought in everyone's mind is "why not get, or wouldn't it be cool to get, Steve Perry to step in".

Many may not even care. However, the Journey/Def Leppard show sold out here in St. Louis. From what I've heard, that's the only place. Journey hits here almost every year. I don't remember their past shows selling out. Are we just big DL fans? I don't know. I saw Journey and Foreigner a few years back. I went with some one who gave me a free ticket. I didn't know what to expect but Journey was pretty good, not impressive, but good. Cain had the Baby Grand on stage, they had the big wheel spinning during Wheel in the Sky, they just lacked that energy or hunger. However, Foreigner, who I am only luke warm on anyway, kicked some butt. I mean they still had enthusiasm, I forgot which guy, but one of the members brought out the surgeon that done his head surgery and said he saved his life and dedicated a song to him, they did a rockin' alternate version of Jukebox Hero, I was impressed.

From the material on the EP Red 13, I thought Journey, if given the chance, could make a come back. I think they may have realized they weren't getting anywhere trying to recreate the hit packed albums of the 80's.

likeitloud
07-08-2006, 03:12 AM
I saw a VH1 Behind The Music, with steve perry, and the reunion bridge is burned,
from what I heard. Neal Schon is journey, and he booted him. Steve's voice was
almost a carbon copy, that was weird, there new stuff was'nt bad, and he did the
classics very close. I've seen both versions, and one thing stays the same. No,
mistakes, and every song still holds up till this day. And lastly, Schon's playing
is way underrated, when listing rock guitar playing. I met my wife at journey/styx,
so I'm always getting dragged to there shows, when there in town(which is way
to often). We are going to the def lep show, so we'll see how good this guy is.
Pretty big shoes to fill. Thanks for the info, it was right on time.

nobody
07-08-2006, 06:50 AM
However, the Journey/Def Leppard show sold out here in St. Louis. From what I've heard, that's the only place.

Reason #32 why St. Louis gets on my nerves...

Mr Peabody
07-08-2006, 11:46 AM
If you are a Journey fan and like Santana, you should pick up Abraxas Pool. This is an album Greg Rollie and Schon done a few years back. It's very Latin with the percussion and feel of Santana. With Rollie's vocals/keyboard, Schon's guitar and the jazz/rock feel, it also has the flavor of old Journey. And, I guess that latter spice could also be said for the first couple Santana albums. When you listen to the album you can tell it has a more modern production.

Hey, don't diss my town, you are just a Nobody anyway :)

nobody
07-08-2006, 12:54 PM
my town too...saw a good band last week at the High Point and spent last night drinking 'til around 3 down on South Grand...after a stop at Vintage Vinyl...

just couldn't resist the little dig...the classic rock is king thing around here just gets a bit much for me, personally...although I don't think its as bad these days as it used to be...and at least you can finally get decent tacos now that Cherokee Street is opening up some authentic places...

Defshep
07-08-2006, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE= However, the Journey/Def Leppard show sold out here in St. Louis. From what I've heard, that's the only place.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the tour has been more successful than anyone could have predicted. Most shows have been performed for capacity/near capacity crowds. I know the Atlanta date (which I thought I'd be able to get tickets for the night of) sold out the weekend it went on sale.

Mr Peabody
07-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Pick up anything good at Vintage? I've actually never been out there. I sometimes go to Record Exchange on Hampton but the guy who owns it is bit of a shyester. If I bring an album up to the counter without a price he asks something crazy for it. Like one time he wanted $6.00 for Santana's first album, used vinyl. I bought the remastered CD for $11.00 new with additional tracks. I like vinyl but I have my limit.

Yeah, StL is probably the capital of obscure and classic rock. I give the program directors grief regularly trying to get them to enhance the variety they play. I'm not a big Alternative fan, if that's your bag, have you listened to 93.3?

I'm glad to see bands sell well, I'm just curious as to why Journey is. Has their extensive touring every year paid off or with Def Leppard, they make a good value ticket?

ForeverAutumn
07-08-2006, 02:10 PM
I saw Journey's Escape tour, with Steve Perry. It was a great show. Very tight. Then I saw Journey a couple of years ago with Steve Augeri. Still a good show, but without Perry it just felt like a really good cover band to me.

With yet another singer, it'll be like a cover band of a cover band. :lol:

bobsticks
07-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I saw Jeff Scott Soto years ago as the lead for Yngwie Malmsteen's outfit Rising Force. He certainly had vocal chops for that brand of neoclassical metal--but based on recollections I can't imagine this combo working...

Defshep
07-08-2006, 02:37 PM
So far reviews have been favorable for the tour. Many of them have leaned more favorably in Def Leppard's direction, with some calling Journey an "adult contemporary" alternative to the rockin' Leps. Maybe the reviews will improve now that Journey have gotten the whole lip-syncing controversy behind them and moved on with a new singer. I'd still like to see Journey at least once.
By the way, is it just me, or does St. Louis love 'em some Sammy Hagar?

nobody
07-09-2006, 05:22 AM
Pick up anything good at Vintage? I've actually never been out there. I sometimes go to Record Exchange on Hampton but the guy who owns it is bit of a shyester. If I bring an album up to the counter without a price he asks something crazy for it. Like one time he wanted $6.00 for Santana's first album, used vinyl. I bought the remastered CD for $11.00 new with additional tracks. I like vinyl but I have my limit.

I picked up the new Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson albums...both are fantastic.

For vinyl, I personally avoid Record Exchange because I think their prices are too high and the condition of the records is often crap. Mybe its changed in the many years since I've been there; I hear people still go there and like it. Vintage Vinyl and Euclid Redords are the places to get vinyl around St. Louis, and the record shows at the Czech Hall off Kingshighway that go like every other month or so for bargain hunting...one today actually, but I gotta World Cup thing to go to so gotta miss this one.

Vintage Vinyl is best for newer stuff and rock in general...they're also better for electronic music, although neither is really good for that. If you're a jazz buff, you MUST visit Euclid Records. Its not on Euclid anymore, moved out to Webster Groves long ago, but kept the name. Its got one of the best jazz vinyl sections anywhere. They've got tons of rare items, original blue notes and all that kind of thing for big bucks as well as audiophile reissues and suck, but also plenty of good deals to be found on more run of the mill stuff and used reissues.

Swish
07-09-2006, 05:52 AM
I picked up the new Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson albums...both are fantastic.

I knew it was being released but just read a rave review on it this morning in my local Sunday rag, not my first choice for cd advice, but it at least reminded me that it was available.. I never got into Willie Nelson though, something about his voice that bothers me. I find it thin and uninspiring. a polar opposite from Johnny.

Your dig on the classic rock scene in St. Louis was appreciated. I would be the first to admit that Journey had some talented people in their band, but I found their music to be rather bland and unimaginative, going for the cheap thrills like most top 40 pop/rock bands. They were sold out in Hershey as well, and the review in that same local rag mentioned the lead vocalist's voice (is that redundant?) being rather bad that night, so it figures that he's having some health problems that explained the problem. That may have been the last gig he did before taking time off to recover.

Swish

shokhead
07-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Steve Perry is Journey.

Mr Peabody
07-09-2006, 12:13 PM
By the way, is it just me, or does St. Louis love 'em some Sammy Hagar?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, StL and Sammy have had a thing for a long time. He supposed to be putting one of his Canteenas here.

Nobody, I didn't kow Euclid was in Webster, I'll have to check them out.