Anyone here been to Niagara Falls? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here been to Niagara Falls?

ForeverAutumn
07-07-2006, 05:45 PM
I just came back from a conference there. We live about 150 kilometres away from there and usually get to that area at least once a year (usually we go for the great wineries in Niagara region). Even though I've seen The Falls dozens of times, they never cease to awe me.

I get a real kick watching the reactions of the tourists who are seeing them for the first time.

Any here ever been there?

Feanor
07-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I just came back from a conference there. We live about 150 kilometres away from there and usually get to that area at least once a year (usually we go for the great wineries in Niagara region). Even though I've seen The Falls dozens of times, they never cease to awe me.

I get a real kick watching the reactions of the tourists who are seeing them for the first time.

Any here ever been there?

We live about the same distance as you from the falls, although I lived out west for over a decade and didn't get there often.

Here is a picture I took there last winter:

GMichael
07-08-2006, 05:14 AM
but it's less than a day's drive. I have been there twice and loved it both times. We are planning a trip there later this summer. Wifey can finally leave the country and come back, so now's the time. She has never been there and has bugged me for the last 4 years to go.

bobsticks
07-08-2006, 05:53 AM
. Wifey can finally leave the country and come back, so now's the time. She has never been there and has bugged me for the last 4 years to go.

Hey G,
That sounds like some kind of progress in the area of naturalization and legal status. One small step, or perhaps congrats are in order?

And, yes, FA, Niagara is quite awe inspiring...

Cheers

Bernd
07-08-2006, 08:02 AM
Yep- it's truly awe-inspiring. I'll put in on par with the Grand Canyon, the Amazon Basin, seeing your first wild african elephant or spotting your adopted Humpback Whale (I have adopted on by the way).
As for man made things that tend to take the breath away is arriving in Las Vegas at night by car or seeing the Pyramids for the first time.
Some beautiful things on this earth I have seen during my travels.

Peace

Bernd:7:

daviethek
07-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I went there for a Valentines day bus package from Pennsylvania. Yes, Niagra Falls in the winter. It was to say the least, cold. The falls are beauiful in the winter. Tacky but fun .
Drank some very nice Canadian whiskey.

kexodusc
07-09-2006, 01:33 PM
The Falls are great - but the boat ride is better!!! What a time!

Growing up in ND, we were just a few hours from the Badlands, and drove their every summer - still my favorite natural geographic wonder. No Wile E. Coytoe though.

ForeverAutumn
07-09-2006, 02:42 PM
The Falls are great - but the boat ride is better!!! What a time!

Growing up in ND, we were just a few hours from the Badlands, and drove their every summer - still my favorite natural geographic wonder. No Wile E. Coytoe though.

Are you refering to the Maid of the Mist or the Jet boats. I've done both and the Jet boats are one of the most fun rides I've ever had. No, make that THE most fun ride I've ever had!

kexodusc
07-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Jet boats...duh! Don't remember Maid of the Mist - but - I don't remember a lot about most of my visits there....

Mission Space at Epcot is better! Not as long though.

GMichael
07-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Hey G,
That sounds like some kind of progress in the area of naturalization and legal status. One small step, or perhaps congrats are in order?

And, yes, FA, Niagara is quite awe inspiring...

Cheers

Yes, thank you. after only 4 short years she got her green card this spring. We'll be heading to Niagara for a weekend soon.

PAT.P
07-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Yes, thank you. after only 4 short years she got her green card this spring. We'll be heading to Niagara for a weekend soon.If your ever my way in Ottawa ,Ont area do drop in.:cornut:

GMichael
07-10-2006, 06:53 AM
If your ever my way in Ottawa ,Ont area do drop in.:cornut:

Deal.

PAT.P
07-10-2006, 09:39 AM
Deal.Would be great.Been cleaning all morning this basement for the boy" Party "this weekend .He wants a disco theme,strobe lights Karaoke ect ect.Still need the nerve to get rid of some audio gear for space.:7:

Kam
07-12-2006, 07:24 AM
am hoping to go to niagara falls either this or next weekend. my first time there since i was 11!! will bring all my cameras with me and look like a nice tourist :)

ForeverAutumn
07-12-2006, 11:31 AM
am hoping to go to niagara falls either this or next weekend. my first time there since i was 11!! will bring all my cameras with me and look like a nice tourist :)

One of the great things about Niagara Falls is that EVERYONE is a tourist. So you won't stand out at all. :biggrin5:

Not sure how much you want to spend on a room but I can highly recommend The Renaisance hotel. It's a Marriott hotel at about half the price (but that'll still run you about $175ish a night...Canadian $$). The Hilton is also nice, but make sure that you ask for a room in the "new" tower (not so new but a little nicer than the old tower). Most of the Days Inns there are decent too if you're looking for something a little less pricey.

Have a great time!

Kam
07-12-2006, 11:40 AM
One of the great things about Niagara Falls is that EVERYONE is a tourist. So you won't stand out at all. :biggrin5:

Not sure how much you want to spend on a room but I can highly recommend The Renaisance hotel. It's a Marriott hotel at about half the price (but that'll still run you about $175ish a night...Canadian $$). The Hilton is also nice, but make sure that you ask for a room in the "new" tower (not so new but a little nicer than the old tower). Most of the Days Inns there are decent too if you're looking for something a little less pricey.

Have a great time!

danke! hopefully i'll have a few pics worthy to post! am hoping to catch the fireworks too and the night light show, have a lil flashback to my childhood haha.

audio_dude
07-14-2006, 08:52 AM
hey PAT, what part of ottawa do you live in?

PAT.P
07-15-2006, 02:37 PM
hey PAT, what part of ottawa do you live in?In the West-End ,near the swamp ,rapid's and filtration plant:cornut:

johndownunder
07-21-2006, 03:51 PM
I believe you must see them in your lifetime.. telling the misses that I will take her there but it is a long way from here.... have not been to USA since 9/11.. Great place to visit..

jt1stcav
08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Luckily for me my younger brother and his family live about 5 minutes away from there, so the rest of the family here in Florida already have a place to stay when we visit the Falls (and it's also nice seeing my neices too, but I like the Falls better...just kidding)!

ForeverAutumn
09-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Hey GMichael, did you and your wife ever make it to Niagara Falls? I just came back from another conference there and was thinking about you (God help me!).

GMichael
09-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey GMichael, did you and your wife ever make it to Niagara Falls? I just came back from another conference there and was thinking about you (God help me!).

No, she spent all her time off to fly to the Philippines. We might have been able to work out a long weekend thing if we weren't doing so many things to get ready for the big move. If we had gotten in back in July like we were promised, we might have. Maybe next summer.

You were thinking of me? That's not such a bad thing. I'm a nice guy. :rolleyes5: