WTF? Check this out...........no really... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Check this out...........no really...

Jefferson
01-31-2004, 07:59 AM
Ok, one of the sites I started visiting lately to check out newer stuff is Monitor this.com anyway while listening to some cuts from their latest"Hellcar" compilation I stumbled across this song by Matthew Ryan entitled "little things" . The thing that got me was its weird production, the vocal and some of the tune was speed up Chipmunks style or whatever. Thing is, I kind of liked it so I did a search and found www.matthewryanonline.com , since little things is from his latest album they had it available to hear. But thats the odd thing, the offering on his website is done straight as in no chipmunks production. So now I don't know what to think, I don't think whats on monitor this is a mistake, buts its light years from his sites version.

http://www.monitorthis.com/monitor_this.html

I've shared the necessary info to listen to both songs, I'm hoping some of you will so I can read your responses. Its kinda neat, kinda strange really, I dunno. If you visit the Monitor this site just hit the Hellcar link and look for Matthew Ryan/The Little Things.

-Jar-
01-31-2004, 08:05 AM
I listened to both links and the tunes sounded identical to me.

not sure, but maybe something went wrong with the streaming?

*shrug*.. they they picked BSP's "Carrion" for their sampler.. I picked that one for my 2003 disc.

Let me know when you're ready for me to send you some stuff ;)

-jar

Jefferson
01-31-2004, 08:16 AM
I listened to both links and the tunes sounded identical to me.

not sure, but maybe something went wrong with the streaming?

*shrug*.. they they picked BSP's "Carrion" for their sampler.. I picked that one for my 2003 disc.

Let me know when you're ready for me to send you some stuff ;)

-jar

Well for crying out loud!?!

I listened to the Hellcar version 3 or 4 freaking times! Thats just strange.

Oh, besides Carrion by BSP they had someother interesting stuff too.

A Favor House Atlantic by Coheed & Cambria I liked that one enough to get the record I think.

Another one that caught my ear was Halfway by Hamell on Trial

And as far as "let me know........." oh yeah! What did you have in mind? Skip me an e-mail note and I'll give you my mailing addy.

Cheers

Jefferson
01-31-2004, 08:29 AM
I dunno, I went back to the Monitor This site and played it again, its still going chipmunk style and the thing making me sick is its freaking killer!

Is there some way to pull that track off that particular player? I'd love to have a recording of it.

-Jar-
01-31-2004, 09:00 AM
Well for crying out loud!?!

I listened to the Hellcar version 3 or 4 freaking times! Thats just strange.

Oh, besides Carrion by BSP they had someother interesting stuff too.

A Favor House Atlantic by Coheed & Cambria I liked that one enough to get the record I think.

Another one that caught my ear was Halfway by Hamell on Trial

And as far as "let me know........." oh yeah! What did you have in mind? Skip me an e-mail note and I'll give you my mailing addy.

Cheers

I have a copy of the Coheed & Cambria cd.. I just, I really like the music, but I just have a hard time with the vocals.. I know at least 2 people who love the album to death, I just.. the vocals.. sounds like a 9 year old boy..it's not playing too fast either, that's how he sounds...lol. very weird. I keep meaning to give it another try, something else always comes up. Have you heard many other "emo" bands? Check out the Hey Mercedes cut (I also put that on my 2003 comp).. have you heard them before? An associate of mine from Cleveland now plays with them..

-jar

-Jar-
01-31-2004, 09:08 AM
oh man, that SDRE, er, I mean, that Fire Theft track is sweet, it's almost as if SDRE never broke up at all .. woo hoo!!

-jar

Jefferson
01-31-2004, 09:24 AM
oh man, that SDRE, er, I mean, that Fire Theft track is sweet, it's almost as if SDRE never broke up at all .. woo hoo!!

-jar

Uh, hmmmm...............so who is SDRE?

-Jar-
01-31-2004, 09:27 AM
hehe I was testing you grasshopper.. SDRE = Sunny Day Real Estate.. familiar?

Jefferson
01-31-2004, 09:28 AM
I have a copy of the Coheed & Cambria cd.. I just, I really like the music, but I just have a hard time with the vocals.. I know at least 2 people who love the album to death, I just.. the vocals.. sounds like a 9 year old boy..it's not playing too fast either, that's how he sounds...lol. very weird. I keep meaning to give it another try, something else always comes up. Have you heard many other "emo" bands? Check out the Hey Mercedes cut (I also put that on my 2003 comp).. have you heard them before? An associate of mine from Cleveland now plays with them..

-jar

The Coheed & Cambria singer has to be Geddy Lee's kid brother! :D That song is great, in a new wave, RUSH sort of way. Its cool I like it.

Jefferson
01-31-2004, 09:46 AM
hehe I was testing you grasshopper.. SDRE = Sunny Day Real Estate.. familiar?

Sheesh, I have one album by them, and thats Diary it has its moments, seven is a great tune but the record gets repetitive after about 4 or so songs. I know they have better efforts out there, but their in the I'll buy em if I find it used catagory for me.

Speaking of raiding the used bins, I made a good haul yesterday at Hastings here in JC.

I picked up..........

the Brian Jonestown Massacre's , Strung out in heaven.

dada's , Puzzle

Lemonheads , It's a shame about Ray I was actually thinking of a different band when I grabed this, I have two other releases by these guys. :rolleyes:

The Connells , Ring . I about have everything by The Connells now, all bought used over the past 3 or 4 years.

-Jar-
01-31-2004, 10:03 AM
Sheesh, I have one album by them, and thats Diary it has its moments, seven is a great tune but the record gets repetitive after about 4 or so songs. I know they have better efforts out there, but their in the I'll buy em if I find it used catagory for me.

Speaking of raiding the used bins, I made a good haul yesterday at Hastings here in JC.

I picked up..........

the Brian Jonestown Massacre's , Strung out in heaven.

dada's , Puzzle

Lemonheads , It's a shame about Ray I was actually thinking of a different band when I grabed this, I have two other releases by these guys. :rolleyes:

The Connells , Ring . I about have everything by The Connells now, all bought used over the past 3 or 4 years.

I was supposed to go see Guided by Voices and the Brian Jonestown Massacre last weekend in Columbus, but Bob Pollard hurt his back, so we decided it wasn't worth the trip to just see BJM.. I have STRUNG OUT IN HEAVEN too, nice album if you're into that neo-Byrds thing. They're a weird band, they started out as a shoegazer band, then moved over to this Stones thing, now they're kind of neo-British Invasion in general.. They're very focused on that one era of music, some might say a little too focused, but they do it well.

Were you thinking you were picking up a Mighty Lemon Drops album instead of the Lemonheads? :D

SDRE's DIARY took me a while to warm up to.. I got it when it first came out to write a review for.. I probably fukced that up because I really had no idea that the album would become such a classic, though I think the review was favorable. Definately keep your eye out for their last two albums HOW IT FEELS TO BE SOMETHING ON and THE RISING TIDE. Both are quite popular with a few of us around here :-)

-jar

Jefferson
01-31-2004, 12:23 PM
I was supposed to go see Guided by Voices and the Brian Jonestown Massacre last weekend in Columbus, but Bob Pollard hurt his back, so we decided it wasn't worth the trip to just see BJM.. I have STRUNG OUT IN HEAVEN too, nice album if you're into that neo-Byrds thing. They're a weird band, they started out as a shoegazer band, then moved over to this Stones thing, now they're kind of neo-British Invasion in general.. They're very focused on that one era of music, some might say a little too focused, but they do it well.

Were you thinking you were picking up a Mighty Lemon Drops album instead of the Lemonheads? :D

SDRE's DIARY took me a while to warm up to.. I got it when it first came out to write a review for.. I probably fukced that up because I really had no idea that the album would become such a classic, though I think the review was favorable. Definately keep your eye out for their last two albums HOW IT FEELS TO BE SOMETHING ON and THE RISING TIDE. Both are quite popular with a few of us around here :-)

-jar

Interesting, who do you do reviews for Jar?

Lemon Drops/Lemonheads........yeah, thats where I screwed the pooch! I now have 3 albums by a group I find utterly mediocre. :rolleyes:

As for BJM, I was thinking it would be Stone'sy but no..........I'll have to give it some time.

Speaking of flaming retro freaks, do you have anything by Supergrass ? I have Life on other planets , its good. I came within $16 of buying the latest by The Darkness yesterday. I've not heard anything by em yet, but I'm intrigued none the less.

Stone
01-31-2004, 12:44 PM

I don't know, man. I think Diary is a great one, but Jar's right: try (especially) How It Feels to Be Something On for something slightly different. Oh, and the Fire Theft album did nothing for me (but I'm not a big fan of The Rising Tide either).

Regarding the Connells, I've been a fan for quite some time. I really like Ring quite a bit, but to me, nothing they've done compares to Boylan Heights. It has great songwriting, and the Mitch Easter production really puts it into the "excellent" category for me. I know they put out an album a couple years ago - I wonder if they're still together.

-Jar-
01-31-2004, 12:57 PM
Interesting, who do you do reviews for Jar?

it was a local Cleveland rag called US Rocker.. it was a metal paper at first but a bunch of us joined on and started writing about all the Amphetamine Reptile, Skin Graft and Touch & Go bands that were big with my crew at the time.. then the magazine really started to branch out into all different directions, electronica, stoner rock, etc.. We were sort of Alternative Press Jr. or something.. I think the best thing I did was an interview with Duane Dennison of the Jesus Lizard. That was fun talking to him. I also talked to Mark Calahan of Moonshake, he wasn't very fun at all. It's not around anymore, but it was fun while it lasted. Got into a bunch of shows for free which was cool too.. I dug up and posted a few of the reviews to the old site, but it's been a few years since I did that.

-jar

Davey.
01-31-2004, 01:03 PM
It has great songwriting, and the Mitch Easter production really puts it into the "excellent" category for me.
Hey, speaking of power pop and Mitch Easter production, did you ever hear anything from The Mockers album I was raving about a couple years ago? Living In The Holland Tunnel. Pretty cool stuff. Got some good press at the time, I think. Lots of info at their site. Not that you have time for any more new music (or even much old music from the sound of it :)), but if I send you something in the near future, I'll try to include some. It's even HDCD for those suitably equipped.

http://www.themockers.net/press.html

Finch Platte
01-31-2004, 01:44 PM
dada's , Puzzle

I've got a dada comp, if you're a fan. They've got a live disc out, too- I should be getting that any day.

Let me know if you're interested.

fp