help with rear ported speakers and HT receiver please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help with rear ported speakers and HT receiver please

steveandlisa123
07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Hello,

We moved into a house that forced me to relegate my listening setup to the basement. Since we mostly live on the main floor, I purchased some Boston CR77s running through a Yamaha RV 1105 receiver with the whole system on a built in shelf in our family room. The way our room is set up, the only logical place for my speakers is on this shelf which is less than ideal. The Bostons have a 6 1/2" woofer, 1" tweeter and are rear ported. They sit on an adjustable shelf (solid wood, I think) and are approximately 30" apart and 15" from the back wall.

My question is two fold: can I use some baffling to reduce the bass rumble from the shelf or would front ported speakers do better? Secondly, will this setup benefit much from a dedicated stereo amp (Cambridge, Rotel or similar) rather than the Yamaha HT or am I stuck with poor logistics?

I would describe the sound as decent. A bit boomy on the bass, a bit harsh on the highs. My basement setup of Boston T930 towers and a yamaha receiver is far superior iun richness and clarity.

I've listened to B&Ws and Paradigms and was taken by the Paradigm reference 20s, but wonder if I'd be "putting a gold ring in a pig" by placing some paradigms on the shelf....

any advice appreciated,

thanks

Steve

audio_dude
07-08-2006, 08:32 AM
well, i won't go into the speaker stuff...cause i'm the budget low-end guy for that stuff...LOL

for the receiver, a dedicated stereo receiver will not really make a big difference, right now i'm listening to some Mission tower speakers, (M3i i think, big tower with 2 bass drivers, one midrange, and a tweeter) on a yamaha HTR-5890 7.1 receiver, stick it in stereo mode and its sounds beautiful.

you want non harsh highs? get a speaker with a silk dome tweeter, the ceramic tweeter in my atoms also seems to have a similar sound, (I cant stand harsh highs)

but ya, for your situation, try to find some front ported speakers