Bought a new Turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new Turntable

Florian
07-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Hurray, the next frontier is here :-) It is a Michell Gyrose TT with modded RB300 (pure silver wire). It will be here by the end of July. Hurray! :-)

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/pic/tur/michell_gyrose.jpg

basite
07-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Nice turntable man, i bet that sounds like it looks (which is very good):)

JohnMichael
07-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Very nice turntable! I know you will enjoy it and I will be looking forward to reading your impressions. What cartridge are you going to use with the Mitchell table?

JoeE SP9
07-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Nice Gyrodeck Flo! You'll love it. BTW there are several tweaks you can do that will improve its performance. Of course you'll give some vinyl a spin first.:cool:

BRANDONH
07-07-2006, 08:33 AM
A thing of beauty.
Happy spinning :)

Florian
07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Nice turntable man, i bet that sounds like it looks (which is very good):)

Yep, lovely :-)

Florian
07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Very nice turntable! I know you will enjoy it and I will be looking forward to reading your impressions. What cartridge are you going to use with the Mitchell table?

Thanks, i am going to use the Goldring 1055 for it and later on a small Koetsu.

:-)

Florian
07-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Nice Gyrodeck Flo! You'll love it. BTW there are several tweaks you can do that will improve its performance. Of course you'll give some vinyl a spin first.:cool:

Its been rewired by my friend Allen Wreight (Vacuumstate Electronics) with pure Silver. :-)

Florian
07-07-2006, 01:51 PM
A thing of beauty.
Happy spinning :)

superpanavision70mm
07-08-2006, 12:00 AM
How much does that baby go for? How much does it weigh?

Florian
07-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Thats a good question, i dont know how much it weighs. They usually sell here for around 2800$ used with the modded RB300 arm and alignment tools. I pay 1600$ for it, since a friend upgraded.

-Flo

superpanavision70mm
07-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Looks heavy, solid, and awesome!

basite
07-09-2006, 04:49 AM
yep, looks awsome, *still impressed by turntable* *wish i had more money*
happy spinning flo!! :cornut:

squeegy200
08-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I've always liked the Michell engineering and appearance. Reminds me of the old Oracle Delphi turntables of the past. The more I spin vinyl, the more I'm enjoying it.

I'm now frequenting thrift shops and garage sales in search of old collections. Many are still in excellent shape.

A friend of mine who owns an audio shop tells me there seems to be a renaissance in the analog arena of late. I seem to have noticed a sizeable increase in deck and cartridge prices as well. Previously owned tables on eBay seemed to have increased in price too.

Congrats Flo on your new turntable. When do we get to come over and have a listen? ;)

Please give us a review of your impressions

nightflier
08-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Very nice table and great price too, considering.

Say, I have some cousins visiting from Europe and they were surprised by how "dark" most components are here in the US. Apparently the "silver" look is much more desired on the other side of the pond and black is reserved for the cheaper stuff. Is that true?

Just wondering 'cause everything I have, except one preamp (from down-under, ironically) is black and they said it looks a bit dated and cheap. After the uncomfortable silence that followed I re-educated them - but anyhow I was just wondering....

basite
08-05-2006, 01:11 AM
black = cheap, well, interesting theory, i do have to say, if i had my amp in silver, it would look more like a expensive boom box so i don't think that's true, i guess some things look more expensive in silver and other things look more expensive in black.

nightflier
08-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Flo, Basite,

I was only asking about the silver because even for a turntable, that's not too common unless you're a DJ. This table (the large pic does help) has a very nice silver build. Most tables I see are wood or have darker tones.

Just wondering what the sentiment was like in Germany.

emorphien
08-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Very nice table and great price too, considering.

Say, I have some cousins visiting from Europe and they were surprised by how "dark" most components are here in the US. Apparently the "silver" look is much more desired on the other side of the pond and black is reserved for the cheaper stuff. Is that true?

Just wondering 'cause everything I have, except one preamp (from down-under, ironically) is black and they said it looks a bit dated and cheap. After the uncomfortable silence that followed I re-educated them - but anyhow I was just wondering....
I've noticed a bit of the same. To be honest I find a lot of the silver/chrome/metal components too flashy, I prefer a dull, dark and understated look. It's not there for me to look it, I'll quite often listen with the lights off anyway.

hifitommy
08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
no TECHNICS rant?