HT Advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT Advice

tossurboss2002
07-06-2006, 01:51 PM
I want to spend around 1500$ on building a HT system(Speakers+Sub). The use is for both music and movies 50% of each. Which is the ideal speakers with subwoofer and receiver that may give me some very good sound quality.

Please gurus and experts kindly give me your advice and suggestions that will be very help full.
I have couple of options.
1) SVS SBS-01 5.1 Set with PB10-NSD - $999 + 300-400( on a HK or Onkyo receiver)
2) Klipsch - Synergy Series Quintet III 5-1 with 12" Sub ( I heard music, but was not so much satisfied) approx $1000 + 300-400 for Receiver.
3) Bose - Acoustimass® Home Theater Speakers - Silver AM10 IIIS - $850.00 + 300-400(on receiver)
I know if we go for floor standing speaker that will give good for both music and movies, i had listned on klipsch at best buy, with Floor standing speaker budget is going lil high, Any advice which will be the nearest to floor standing, will book shlef work and give the nearest quality of sound on music and movies please advice.

Thanks in advance.

elapsed
07-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Here's a review on the Bose Acoustimass, hope this narrows down your selection!

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Woochifer
07-07-2006, 06:07 PM
You got some very different sounding systems on your short list, so it should be fairly easy to differentiate between them. Have you actually heard any of them?

With your budget, I would suggest that you choose the receiver and then take your time choosing the speakers. When I started putting my system together, I spent about three months auditioning speakers. I started auditioning floorstanding speakers, but then I noticed that I liked the sound of the standmounts better, so I focused more on those as the process went on.

As I've said many times before, you don't have to buy the entire speaker package at the same time. $1,000-$1,200 is a fairly minimal budget to get a decent set of speakers plus a legitimate subwoofer. It's doable, but you should explore other options before buying.

The approach that I would suggest that you look into would be to select a pair of speakers and then gradually add on as your budget allows. Receivers all have virtual surround features that work with two, three, and four speakers. So, why not make use of that feature since it already comes with your system.

With your budget, I would put at least $500 into the receiver, and with the speaker budget, you should start listening to speakers in that $1,000 a pair price range and compare that with speakers at the $500 price point. If you decide that the $500 speakers are good enough, then you can allocate the remaining $500 towards either a subwoofer, a matching center speaker, or another pair of speakers to use as surround. If you decide that the $1,000 speakers are worth building around and waiting for, then you can go with just the first pair and then add on.

Between the systems that you've already selected, the SVS setup will likely give you a more subdued high end, whereas the Klipsch Synergy systems tend to blare the highs a bit more. Also, SVS is known for making excellent subwoofers for their price points.

Bose, well, their Acoustimass systems are way overpriced for the performance that they deliver, and their bass is tweaked with a boost in the midbass to compensate for the lack of low end extension that their bass module provides.

But, like I said, don't limit yourself to the 5.1 speaker packages. In the long run, you'll get much better performance by buying part of the system up front and adding on as funds allow.

Mr Peabody
07-07-2006, 09:14 PM
I agree with Wooch. Hopefully, you have other stores besides Best Buy to check out. Most of the mass market stores carry brands like Polk, Infinity and now Mirage. If you can find some to audition Acoustic Energy gives a good bang for the buck. Brands like Paradigm and B&W also carry affordable entry lines which in comparison you may decide to take the stretch.

I personally favor the 2 brands of receivers you mentioned. It may take you out of your budget slightly but you might want to look at Cambridge Audio and NAD receivers for that extra something.

Take your time and have fun, looking is almost as fun as being in your easy chair listening to what you bagged.

tossurboss2002
07-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Thank q so much for your time and suggestions i really appreciate it. Well i will definitely consider the way you guys have suggested.

Thanks

accastil
07-09-2006, 02:46 AM
klipsch is a good choice for both music and ht. however im not sure what receiver would go along well with it. personally, i would recommend marantz for your receiver...i hope this goes well with klipsch. i agree also that paradigm is another good company for speakers but it may not fit into your budget for now.

bobsticks
07-09-2006, 05:26 AM
I agree with Wooch's reasonings behind his suggested course of action, and, I also agree with Mr. P's recommendations. I would only add KEF speakers as perhaps a line of affordable speakers you might want to audition. I have a pair in my second system that I am quite fond of. As a sidenote, I agree with your assessment of the Synergy series...not to my liking either...

Cheers and happy hunting