mainstream web article on vintage gear [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : mainstream web article on vintage gear

dean_martin
07-05-2006, 01:05 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13297212/wid/11915829?GT1=8394

DaHaq
07-25-2006, 03:51 AM
Although, if they sounded good, I'm sure I could grow to love them. Might even redecorate the house to match! I must say, I listened to a pair of modern QUADs (forget the exact model #) at a local dealer and didn't like the sound too much, maybe there's something horribly wrong with me. They seemed very harsh to my ears, maybe I'm just used to an inferior colored sound or something.

JoeE SP9
07-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Although, if they sounded good, I'm sure I could grow to love them. Might even redecorate the house to match! I must say, I listened to a pair of modern QUADs (forget the exact model #) at a local dealer and didn't like the sound too much, maybe there's something horribly wrong with me. They seemed very harsh to my ears, maybe I'm just used to an inferior colored sound or something.

Were the Quads you heard electrostatics or ordinary boxes? Those old (ESL57's) Quads are considered by many to have the best midrange ever in a speaker.

DaHaq
07-25-2006, 09:12 PM
They were electrostats, gray colored, vertically oriented instead of horizontally like the ESL 57s but still rectangular. I believe all the amplifiers etc. were Naim, sourced from a Pro-Ject turntable. I probably just needed more time with them to appreciate the sound, I think my expectations were just unreasonably high (they sounded great, just didn't blow me away)

JoeE SP9
07-26-2006, 02:40 PM
From what I've heard on the web and in person the newer Quad ESL's don't have the midrange magic the old ESL 57's have. They are ESL's and like Magneplaners, Apogees or any ESL have a sound that is unlike any box. I can't say much for Naim gear, it's never impressed me.:cool:

dean_martin
07-26-2006, 07:55 PM
The article (which was also posted in the speaker section by one of our moderators) refers to an upcoming article discussing vintage amplification, both tube and solid state, for the ESL 57s. I haven't followed up to see which amps are discussed. Does anyone know if the follow-up article has appeared yet?