HT Receiver with 4 or more HDMI inputs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT Receiver with 4 or more HDMI inputs

mbovaird
07-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Other than the super-sized HT Receivers (like the Denon AVR-5805MK2), does anyone know of any non-bohemath sized HT Receivers with four or more HDMI inputs? Ideally, I am looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 Receiver with at least 85 watts/channel with 4 HDMI inputs. I might be able to get by with three....but four gives me room for a Blu-Ray Player in the future.

Thanks,

Mike

superpanavision70mm
07-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Doubtful! I have not seen anything like that at all. I am guessing that if they are putting 4 or so HDMI inputs on the sucker that it's going to be packed to the teeth.

N. Abstentia
07-05-2006, 04:08 PM
And the kicker is...by the time you get a Blu-Ray player it will be time to upgrade your HDMI since it's in it's infancy and the final spec isn't even nailed down yet. In other words...forget about it.

musicman1999
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
You wont find that for a while.Just curious,what will you fill those holes up with.
Also,thats an outstanding 2 channel set up you have there.Very nice.

bill

elapsed
07-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Other than the super-sized HT Receivers (like the Denon AVR-5805MK2), does anyone know of any non-bohemath sized HT Receivers with four or more HDMI inputs? Ideally, I am looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 Receiver with at least 85 watts/channel with 4 HDMI inputs. I might be able to get by with three....but four gives me room for a Blu-Ray Player in the future.
You could get yourself a TV with two HDMI inputs, and a receiver with 3 HDMI inputs such as a Denon AVR-4306. Use the two HDMI inputs on the TV for Cable Box and receiver. That leaves you with 3 HDMI inputs on the receiver for Upconverting DVD Player, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray/PS3.

And the kicker is...by the time you get a Blu-Ray player it will be time to upgrade your HDMI since it's in it's infancy and the final spec isn't even nailed down yet. In other words...forget about it.
HDMI 1.3 was is in fact nailed down two weeks ago: http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060622.asp

HDMI will continue to evolve every year, so I don't expect there will be a "final spec" in the next few years. But don't worry if your reciever is HDMI 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 compliant. Here is what the Marketing Group at HDMI Licensing said in an interview last week:

CD: Should consumers pay attention to the different versions of HDMI?

SV: It is true that many consumers are confused by different versions of HDMI, but this is something that consumers should really not worry about. I advise consumers to never focus on the specific version of HDMI, but rather, on the feature set of the device, such as 1080p capability, DVD-Audio support, etc.

In fact, looking for the version of HDMI supported in a product does not mean that all the latest features possible from the specification are actually implemented in the product. So again, the key is for consumers to seek the feature, not the specification.

Since we are in a stage of incredible technical innovation in home theater equipment, HDMI also evolves to support new technologies. HDMI 1.0 was launched in December 2002, and since then, HDMI has added capabilities ahead of the market so that when components come out with specific new functionalities, the HDMI connection can support that new functionality.

Source: http://www.electronichouse.com/info/specials/hdmi_basics.html

AVMASTER
07-06-2006, 10:07 AM
you can come out cheaper by using a switcher:
Key Digital
Sherwood Newcastle
SCP
Gefen
Parasound

elapsed
07-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Found a receiver with 4 HDMI inputs! Check out the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi, which was released last month. MSRP is $1,500.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/PioneerVSX84TXSireceivers.php

superpanavision70mm
07-11-2006, 04:58 PM
That Pioneer Elite player is insane!!!

As if the 4 HDMI inputs aren't enough it also has...

4 S-Video
2 Composite
3 Component

Making a grand total of 13 inputs!!! Dang!

I guess this is for people who want to hook up ...

Their HD cable
HD-DVD player
Blu-ray player
DVD player
SACD player
VCR
LaserDisc player
Beta player
Playstation 2
GameCube
Nintendo 64
Xbox 360
and one to spare.

HAHA!

evil__betty
07-15-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm sure some of those inputs are assignable so that once "DVD" is assigned to HDMI 1, HD sat to HDMI 2, Video 1 to HDMI 3 and Video 2 to HDMI 4, it would render the matching component video and some S-Video/composite video inputs useless. Regardless, that is one mean receiver that I might just have to save my pennies for!

superpanavision70mm
07-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Yes, assignable, but you could have all that hooked up and then use your remote to change the inputs around if you were so inclined. I am still happy with my Pioneer Elite for now and will most likely not upgrade for quite some time as my next investment will probably be the Parasound Controller.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=PARHC1&product_name=Halo%20C1%20Controller

BadAssJazz
07-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Found a receiver with 4 HDMI inputs! Check out the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi, which was released last month. MSRP is $1,500.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/PioneerVSX84TXSireceivers.php

Wow, I think I know what I want for Christmas this year. Let's hope the Elite lives up to it's rep of some of the best receivers ever built.