MMG vs MG1.6QR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MMG vs MG1.6QR

newbsterv2
01-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi all. I currently own a set of MMG's and love them. My only gripes are their limited bass extension and slight midbass boost. My question is this. Is the larger brother to the MMG only an MMG with deeper and tighter bass? Or does the speaker pretty much have the same sound to it as the MMG except for more bass? Thanks.

ryewoods
01-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Hi all. I currently own a set of MMG's and love them. My only gripes are their limited bass extension and slight midbass boost. My question is this. Is the larger brother to the MMG only an MMG with deeper and tighter bass? Or does the speaker pretty much have the same sound to it as the MMG except for more bass? Thanks.

I have never heard the MMG, but I have heard the 1.6 and it is phenominal. Many people have compared them at http://audioasylum.com. The general consensus seems to be that the 1.6 is a far superior speaker. The bass goes deeper into the low 40's. The 1.6 is also larger than the MMG contributing to an overall better sound.

This Guy
01-30-2004, 07:07 PM
yeh the audioasylum's planar forum is basically a Maggie forum, about 95% of the posts are on all magnepan speakers, they'll give you good answers.

-Joey

tullymars
01-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Ive heard the 1.6's,and their in my near future...simply awsome i thought

RGA
02-01-2004, 01:41 PM

I agree withgoing to Audio Asylum...but be sure to get commentary OUTSIDE of the planar forum as well so you have different commentary. For instance going to the Tube forum will get tube lovers bashing all non tube amps and vinyl forums will have people bashing cd and and digital forums bashing vinyl and on and on. Contrary to popular belief there are people who have heard panels and bought other speakers. And, I would be hesitant to simply buy from the same manufacturer simply because they make a higher end unit...so does everyone when the price goes up. Luckily though you can hear the 1.6 before you buy as retail outlets carry them. If bass is all you require you can add a subwoofer or two. Planars and stats have certain advantages and dissadvantages and it's going to depend where on the continuum you feel is more important. For the ~$1500.00US price range I wouldbe auditioning as much as possible.