How much amp ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How much amp ?

s dog
07-04-2006, 12:16 PM
I would like to hook up a pair of EX speakers, my receiver has 125x5 watts it also has NON powerd out puts for EX speakers,how much amp do i need to run a pair of klipsch surround speakers , i see all kind of power amps on ebay and audiogon, c city has a onkyo 282 amp 100x2 for $299.00 you can buy a 50 x2 for 199.00 at best buy,im just not sure what to do, i dont think EX speakers get that much info from a dvd to need a really $$$ amp, does anyone have any ideas what i could use.

Geoffcin
07-04-2006, 02:40 PM
I would like to hook up a pair of EX speakers, my receiver has 125x5 watts it also has NON powerd out puts for EX speakers,how much amp do i need to run a pair of klipsch surround speakers , i see all kind of power amps on ebay and audiogon, c city has a onkyo 282 amp 100x2 for $299.00 you can buy a 50 x2 for 199.00 at best buy,im just not sure what to do, i dont think EX speakers get that much info from a dvd to need a really $$$ amp, does anyone have any ideas what i could use.

Exactly right. The rear surrounds are used sparingly. Klipsh speakers are usually of a very high efficiancy, so even a 50wpc amp would be plenty.

s dog
07-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Exactly right. The rear surrounds are used sparingly. Klipsh speakers are usually of a very high efficiancy, so even a 50wpc amp would be plenty.
Yea, i think i will keep a eye open for a nice 50 or 60 watt amp on ebay should be able to find one fairly cheap. thanks for the help

paul_pci
07-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Yea, i think i will keep a eye open for a nice 50 or 60 watt amp on ebay should be able to find one fairly cheap. thanks for the help

Have you visited Audiogon? That might be a better place to pick up a good used amp. I drool over the classifieds on that site quite often.

s dog
07-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Have you visited Audiogon? That might be a better place to pick up a good used amp. I drool over the classifieds on that site quite often.
I look at audiogon all the time, they have a lot of amps on there i would love to have, but i dont have a lot of extra money at this time, going to have to wait on a good deal.

paul_pci
07-09-2006, 11:53 AM
I look at audiogon all the time, they have a lot of amps on there i would love to have, but i dont have a lot of extra money at this time, going to have to wait on a good deal.

We're passengers in the same boat.

Woochifer
07-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Before even getting to the question of how to hook up a set of back surround speakers, the first question to ask is CAN or SHOULD you hook up a set of back surrounds? I ask simply because most typical rooms are not very well setup for the back surround speakers. Basically, if your sofa is pushed up against the back wall, forget about EX/ES -- you don't have enough room and any efforts to squeeze the back surround speakers into that kind of an alignment will make your system sound worse.

If you have enough space behind your listening position to accommodate the back surrounds, then you should make sure that those speakers timbre match the L/R side surround speakers. Again, if you plan to use mismatching speakers, then this too stands a good chance of making things sound worse.

If you have enough space behind your listening position and plan to use timbre matched speakers, THEN you can get at the question of how much amp power is needed. And Geoffcin already correctly answered that question for you.

The back surround tracks are typically not mixed with the most demanding sound information, and if you're already using efficient speakers like Klipsch, then it's unlikely you'll need more than 50 watts/channel. For one thing, most HT receivers can't output more than about 40-80 watts/channel when driving all channels simultaneously anyway, even if they are rated at 100+ watts/channel. (These specs only say that a receiver can output that wattage into ONE channel at a time) Just make sure that after you hook up an external amp you use a SPL meter to make sure that the levels for all speakers are equal.

s dog
07-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Before even getting to the question of how to hook up a set of back surround speakers, the first question to ask is CAN or SHOULD you hook up a set of back surrounds? I ask simply because most typical rooms are not very well setup for the back surround speakers. Basically, if your sofa is pushed up against the back wall, forget about EX/ES -- you don't have enough room and any efforts to squeeze the back surround speakers into that kind of an alignment will make your system sound worse.

If you have enough space behind your listening position to accommodate the back surrounds, then you should make sure that those speakers timbre match the L/R side surround speakers. Again, if you plan to use mismatching speakers, then this too stands a good chance of making things sound worse.

If you have enough space behind your listening position and plan to use timbre matched speakers, THEN you can get at the question of how much amp power is needed. And Geoffcin already correctly answered that question for you.

The back surround tracks are typically not mixed with the most demanding sound information, and if you're already using efficient speakers like Klipsch, then it's unlikely you'll need more than 50 watts/channel. For one thing, most HT receivers can't output more than about 40-80 watts/channel when driving all channels simultaneously anyway, even if they are rated at 100+ watts/channel. (These specs only say that a receiver can output that wattage into ONE channel at a time) Just make sure that after you hook up an external amp you use a SPL meter to make sure that the levels for all speakers are equal. I have about 6ft behind the sofa to the wall, and i will be useing klipsch ss1s for the sides surrounds and the backs, i do have a spl meter to get everything equal so i should be ok there. think i will just take my time and look for a nice 50 or 60 watt amp and hope everything works out , thanks for the help.