Denon AVR-2803 vs Yamaha RX-V1400 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVR-2803 vs Yamaha RX-V1400

madmax1
01-30-2004, 05:53 PM
please im about to purchase one of these? Cant hear a diffence between them? Any diffence that anyone whould go with one choice would help me greatly!! thanks!!

Mikereyno
01-30-2004, 06:08 PM
please im about to purchase one of these? Cant hear a diffence between them? Any diffence that anyone whould go with one choice would help me greatly!! thanks!!

I have to be up front and say that I have no experience with the Denon, however, i just purchased by third Yamaha RX-V receiver (the RX-V2400) based on reading these reviews and listening to feedback to the forum, plus the fact that the two other Yamahas I have (the RX-V470 for 10 years and the RX-V592 for almost seven years) are still going strong in other rooms in the house and have had NO problems what so ever.

TinHere
01-30-2004, 07:00 PM

IMHO the Yammie has the edge with YPAO. It's reliable and feature loaded, not to mention it makes my speakers sing.

46minaudio
01-31-2004, 06:39 AM
Hey Tin check this out...

(I really love mine. It seems like I keep finding more and more cool features on it. I recently found out you can have multiple YPAO configurations by using the Home Bank memory settings, which is great. I usually sit in different spots around the room so I can customize it for each seating area.)

(You need the extended IR codes for the RXV2400 from Yamaha's website, and AFAIK a 2nd learning remote is required.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/ir_codes.htm

On the RXv2400 remote, press the source select button (under the lcd) to select OPTN. Press and hold the learn button at the top of the remote for about 3 seconds until a hex number appears in the display. To set Home Bank A, you need to change the hex number to 7E2B, so use the up and down directional arrows to scroll to that number. Press Enter then and the receiver will save your settings to Home Bank A. All DSP modes for each input will be remembered as well, so set everything how you want it ahead of time.
To recall HBA, use the code 7E35. Repeat the steps above to get to 7E35 on the remote, then use your 2nd learning remote to learn that IR signal. Then simply transfer it back to your 2400 remote and save it to the button of your choice. There might be a way to save it to a button on your 2400 remote w/o using the 2nd remote, but I'm unaware of it, if it's possible.
After that, you just need to run YPAO and save it to Home Bank B, C, D, etc, and you now have multiple YPAO configurations for your receiver. You can do the same thing from the Receiver Editor 3.0 software as well, so it just depends whether your computer is close enough to run a cable to the receiver.)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352439

This came Fireshoes on avs.A night time setting where the sub is turned way down as not to wake anyone would be nice..

htfan14
01-31-2004, 07:30 AM
When I was upgrading it came down to the Denon 3802 and Yammy 1300. Bought the Denon and happy for it, but either way could'nt go wrong. That being said, with the all the features, especially the YPAO, I would vote for the Yammy 1400 in your case.

madmax1
01-31-2004, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Love this site, you guys help out alot! ?Its good to have somewhere to turn for honest answers! Hate getting the run around with salesmen!

TinHere
01-31-2004, 08:29 PM
Hey Tin check this out...

(I really love mine. It seems like I keep finding more and more cool features on it. I recently found out you can have multiple YPAO configurations by using the Home Bank memory settings, which is great. I usually sit in different spots around the room so I can customize it for each seating area.)

(You need the extended IR codes for the RXV2400 from Yamaha's website, and AFAIK a 2nd learning remote is required.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/ir_codes.htm

On the RXv2400 remote, press the source select button (under the lcd) to select OPTN. Press and hold the learn button at the top of the remote for about 3 seconds until a hex number appears in the display. To set Home Bank A, you need to change the hex number to 7E2B, so use the up and down directional arrows to scroll to that number. Press Enter then and the receiver will save your settings to Home Bank A. All DSP modes for each input will be remembered as well, so set everything how you want it ahead of time.
To recall HBA, use the code 7E35. Repeat the steps above to get to 7E35 on the remote, then use your 2nd learning remote to learn that IR signal. Then simply transfer it back to your 2400 remote and save it to the button of your choice. There might be a way to save it to a button on your 2400 remote w/o using the 2nd remote, but I'm unaware of it, if it's possible.
After that, you just need to run YPAO and save it to Home Bank B, C, D, etc, and you now have multiple YPAO configurations for your receiver. You can do the same thing from the Receiver Editor 3.0 software as well, so it just depends whether your computer is close enough to run a cable to the receiver.)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352439

This came Fireshoes on avs.A night time setting where the sub is turned way down as not to wake anyone would be nice..

Thanks for the info 46. I have the cable to hook up to the 232 and have downloaded the Editor, but I haven't used it yet. In my small room there really isn't need to make changes, but one of these days I might hook it up and fool around. As savvy as I am I hope I can get it to sound good again after my tampering.

kexodusc
02-01-2004, 05:04 AM
I sampled the two not too long ago...other than the YPAO thing that's a dynamite feature, I noticed 2 things. 1st, the Denon's DSP's don't compete with Yamaha's, however that being said, most DSP's aren't to my liking anyway. I can't remember the exact ones, but there were 4 or 5 I thought I'd actually use with the Yammie, particularly for movie playback, the Denon's just sounded bad or weren't noticeable at all. I don't know if they weren't properly calibrated or what, but it left a bad impression.

2nd, for music playback, both were reasonably equal...in HT we shut the mains off, and I found the Yamaha to just sound better. There was only a 5 piece Energy speaker system hooked up in the room, and a switching board was used, but the difference in HT was noticeable out the centre, and 2 rears in LOTR (the demo DVD). We did our best to compensate for volume. Sounds were just a bit crisper and seemed more real, especially the swords clanging. This might be a preference thing and I realize is totally subjective, but alot of people I've spoken to since then have seconded my sentiments that the yammie was just a tad bit better when all channels were driven in HT.

That being said, if YPAO or DSP's aren't something you'd use or find much value in, the Denon 2803 is a very good receiver, and I'd put it toe-to-toe with any in this price range.
Marantz had a pretty decent receiver too (don't recall model #) that we placed in a distant third, definitely worth sampling if you come across them.

I don't think you can go wrong with either model, on account of features, reliability, and prices, I'd give the RX-V1400 the clear edge, and I intend to purchase one myself shortly.

madmax1
02-01-2004, 07:46 AM
I sampled the two not too long ago...other than the YPAO thing that's a dynamite feature, I noticed 2 things. 1st, the Denon's DSP's don't compete with Yamaha's, however that being said, most DSP's aren't to my liking anyway. I can't remember the exact ones, but there were 4 or 5 I thought I'd actually use with the Yammie, particularly for movie playback, the Denon's just sounded bad or weren't noticeable at all. I don't know if they weren't properly calibrated or what, but it left a bad impression.

2nd, for music playback, both were reasonably equal...in HT we shut the mains off, and I found the Yamaha to just sound better. There was only a 5 piece Energy speaker system hooked up in the room, and a switching board was used, but the difference in HT was noticeable out the centre, and 2 rears in LOTR (the demo DVD). We did our best to compensate for volume. Sounds were just a bit crisper and seemed more real, especially the swords clanging. This might be a preference thing and I realize is totally subjective, but alot of people I've spoken to since then have seconded my sentiments that the yammie was just a tad bit better when all channels were driven in HT.

That being said, if YPAO or DSP's aren't something you'd use or find much value in, the Denon 2803 is a very good receiver, and I'd put it toe-to-toe with any in this price range.
Marantz had a pretty decent receiver too (don't recall model #) that we placed in a distant third, definitely worth sampling if you come across them.

I don't think you can go wrong with either model, on account of features, reliability, and prices, I'd give the RX-V1400 the clear edge, and I intend to purchase one myself shortly.
Thank you very much for the helpp! Think im gonna get the yammie :)

kfalls
02-02-2004, 06:03 AM
They appear to be the same except the 2400 has the RS232 interface, a few more program options and rated at 10W/ch more than the 1400. The extra wattage doesn't equate to much more loudness and with the unit weights are the same, so I can't believe its power supply is any better unless it just uses higher rated output devices. Any comments on sound or setup advantages?

kexodusc
02-02-2004, 06:08 AM
If you really don't expect to use that RS232 interface, or you understand that the 10 extra watts per channel isn't going to accomplish much, I'd argue that the 1400 is the better buy.
The last time I checked the prices were as much as 100-150 difference.

However, my local dealer has offered me the 2400 for the same price he quoted me the 1400 just because he's got a few extra in stock he isn't moving...so why not?
I've heard there's a few other nominal features in the 2400, but I'm not terribly familiar with it.

If you follow the forums here or anywhere else though, you'll see the 1400 is the one that's most often talked about, I think it's safe to assume it offeres most of the popular bells and whistles that most people would really need and use. I can only assume that if there was something dynamite on the 2400 model, it would be talked about a bit more.

Taro
02-02-2004, 09:26 AM
I just purchased the Yamaha last week because I received a lot of information from this site and read a lot. Anyway, you can't compare the Yamaha RXV1400 to Denon AVR2803 but to AVR3803 because Yamaha is so good and powerfull. I had a deposit on a denon 3803 and decided not to go with it but with Yamaha. I think that I took a very good decision.

JSE
02-02-2004, 09:58 AM
I looked at these same two receivers a few moths ago. They both sounded very good and it finally came down to the Yamaha's YPAO and superior DSP modes. I also went with Yamaha 1400 based on reviews concerning their great customer service and reliability. If you want to most future proof receiver out there under $2K, then go with the Yamaha 1400/2400. I have been using it for a little over a month now and could not be happier.

Good luck,

JSE

htfan14
02-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Totally agree the Yammy is the better buy, but as for choosing a reciever based on DSP's??? Eyes rolling here...lol.

brisa_da_praia
02-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Hi,

I have also to decide for a new A/V receiver and the 2803 or the 1400 are the favourites. Resuming all previous opinions everybody advise to buy the Yamaha but evrybody based on the features only (DSP etc.). But I am not too much interested in the additional features but in the sound quality - especially in stereo mode.

I know that personal preferences are to be considered in first place but has anybody opinions regarding sound quality of the two canidates???

Thanks a lot for your opinions!

kexodusc
02-03-2004, 05:22 AM
Sound quality is far more subjective for these two brands of receivers. A few years back, I bought an RX-V795 a and my cousin bought a Denon 15-something or other....about the equivalent to the Yammie. The deciding factor was sound quality in both purchases. I prefered the Yamaha to the Denon, he peferred the Denon.
Both are quality machines. In 2-channel stereo, based on my experience, I'll give the edge to this Yamaha, but the differences were minimal if in fact they were real.

To be perfectly honest, your decision to buy either of these 2 receivers SHOULDN'T come down to how they perform in 2-channel stereo, otherwise you are likely better off going with a stereo receiver or separate components altogether. And I doubt sound quality is substantial enough between the Denon and Yamaha's to be the decision breaker.
It was for me, but deep down inside, I think the features have skewed my opinion enough to make me believe the Yamaha sounded better. Who knows.

JSE
02-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi,

I have also to decide for a new A/V receiver and the 2803 or the 1400 are the favourites. Resuming all previous opinions everybody advise to buy the Yamaha but evrybody based on the features only (DSP etc.). But I am not too much interested in the additional features but in the sound quality - especially in stereo mode.

I know that personal preferences are to be considered in first place but has anybody opinions regarding sound quality of the two canidates???

Thanks a lot for your opinions!

I have read that the Yamaha's are a little brighter sounding and the Denon's are warmer. After listening to both, I really could not tell the difference. They both sounded great. It really came down to features for me as the deciding factor on the 1400. As mentioned above, if 2 channel sound is your main goal, then maybe seperates are your best bet.

JSE

w9cw
02-05-2004, 07:30 AM
I have read that the Yamaha's are a little brighter sounding and the Denon's are warmer. After listening to both, I really could not tell the difference. They both sounded great. It really came down to features for me as the deciding factor on the 1400. As mentioned above, if 2 channel sound is your main goal, then maybe seperates are your best bet.

JSE

Yamaha's certainly used to be bright sounding, but I'm not sure this applies so much with the new receivers, RX-V740, -V1400, and -V2400. If anything, the new Yamaha receivers are more neutral at the very least.

Also, the new Denon AVR-2804 (should be available sometime late first quarter this year) will add to the confusion for the buyer trying to decided between the RX-V1400 and the Denon AVR-2803 or new -2804. Yes, the -V1400 actually competes on specs with the AVR-3803 (and, soon to be the new AVR-3805), but on price the AVR-2803 is a match for the Yamaha.

It's really a hard call on both. Either are fine receivers. Personally, I prefer the electronics and versatility of the RX-V1400, but the aesthetics leave me a bit stale as compared to the Denon. So, I guess it comes down your own individual tastes and subjectives. You can't go wrong with either receiver.

alcamaya
02-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Love this site, you guys help out alot! ?Its good to have somewhere to turn for honest answers! Hate getting the run around with salesmen!

Hi! I have owned various models of Denon & Yamaha receivers. I used to work as an audio associate for a big electronics store that I was able to get myself familiar with the different sound characteristics of each receiver brand. Yamaha has a lot of features which you'd probably not even gonna use but sound wise I think Denon has the edge. That includes much tighter bass, better highs and more dynamics in general. A list of the receivers i have owned and have played in the past: 1) Denon AVR-3801, very good receiver. 2) Denon AVR-4800, 2-channel music for me was better on the AVR-3801.
3) Yamaha RXV-3300, nice but not as good sounding as the Denon AVR-3801 and lastly
before I went with separates 4) Yamaha RXV-1 BIG AND HEAVY BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT. I gave you this list to justify my claim that I think you'd be more happy with the Denon.
Goodluck!

Woochifer
02-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Hi! I have owned various models of Denon & Yamaha receivers. I used to work as an audio associate for a big electronics store that I was able to get myself familiar with the different sound characteristics of each receiver brand. Yamaha has a lot of features which you'd probably not even gonna use but sound wise I think Denon has the edge. That includes much tighter bass, better highs and more dynamics in general. A list of the receivers i have owned and have played in the past: 1) Denon AVR-3801, very good receiver. 2) Denon AVR-4800, 2-channel music for me was better on the AVR-3801.
3) Yamaha RXV-3300, nice but not as good sounding as the Denon AVR-3801 and lastly
before I went with separates 4) Yamaha RXV-1 BIG AND HEAVY BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT. I gave you this list to justify my claim that I think you'd be more happy with the Denon.
Goodluck!

Well, to each their own. I did numerous speaker auditions using both lines of receivers and never noticed much of a sound difference between them when running with the DSP modes turned off. To me, the main advantage that the RX-V1400 has going over any comparable Denon model is the YPAO parametric room calibration feature. Unlike DSP modes, the YPAO directly addresses issues with room acoustics, which are generally far more significant than the more subtle differences between electronic components. Denon's upcoming AVR-3805 will have a similar room calibration feature, but that receiver will also cost $400 more than the 1400.