Help choosing headphones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing headphones

setekh
07-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Hi,

Im new here, so im not sure if im following all the rules (hope so though :))

Anyway, once again not sure if this is the right spot to place my question, but here it goes

Ive recently started taking bass guitar lessons (ypeee :p sure did take me long enough..) and ive borrowed an amp from a friend...but i live on a flat so the neighbours should start complaining soon :p

To prevent them from burning me alive, i need 2 start using headphones...but im not sure which model to get...:confused: im a big fan of the sennheiser models (have been meaning to get 1 of those 4 quite some time now) so this should be my opportunity :p the same friend who has lent me the amp has recommended me the EH350. What do you think of this choice? What model would you choose? Ive got a budget of +- €60, so m open to suggestions :p

Well, while were at it, id also like to ask what are your thoughts on the HD435, HD485 and the RS120...the 2 first are wired and the last one wireless...these would be for pluggin to the hi-fi and maybe some gaming...would the wireless model perform? sound quality should be great on all models right?

Thanks 4 ur help and sorry about all the questions...but im a n00b in need :D

Fergymunster
07-04-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi,

Im new here, so im not sure if im following all the rules (hope so though :))

Anyway, once again not sure if this is the right spot to place my question, but here it goes

Ive recently started taking bass guitar lessons (ypeee :p sure did take me long enough..) and ive borrowed an amp from a friend...but i live on a flat so the neighbours should start complaining soon :p

To prevent them from burning me alive, i need 2 start using headphones...but im not sure which model to get...:confused: im a big fan of the sennheiser models (have been meaning to get 1 of those 4 quite some time now) so this should be my opportunity :p the same friend who has lent me the amp has recommended me the EH350. What do you think of this choice? What model would you choose? Ive got a budget of +- €60, so m open to suggestions :p

Well, while were at it, id also like to ask what are your thoughts on the HD435, HD485 and the RS120...the 2 first are wired and the last one wireless...these would be for pluggin to the hi-fi and maybe some gaming...would the wireless model perform? sound quality should be great on all models right?

Thanks 4 ur help and sorry about all the questions...but im a n00b in need :D
Maybe the Sennhesier HD 555 or the more expensive HD 595.The HD 555 is very good and the HD 595 is outstanding.Also you can find them at a significant price reduction on the web.

audio_dude
07-04-2006, 06:23 AM
please don't get any of sennheisers lower end models...well, i've only had experience with the HD435 in the low-end stuff, the wires are REALLY thin and break easy

go out and see if you can find a pair of Grade SR-60's...probably the best headphone beating anything double its price!

if you can't find them, look for a good phone with a nice thick cord and big drivers...try AKG too

setekh
07-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Maybe the Sennhesier HD 555 or the more expensive HD 595.The HD 555 is very good and the HD 595 is outstanding.Also you can find them at a significant price reduction on the web.
Do these have thicker wires than the HD435? Guess ill have to spend $100+ to get some serious headphones right?

tks 4 ur help :)

setekh
07-04-2006, 09:31 AM
please don't get any of sennheisers lower end models...well, i've only had experience with the HD435 in the low-end stuff, the wires are REALLY thin and break easy

go out and see if you can find a pair of Grade SR-60's...probably the best headphone beating anything double its price!

if you can't find them, look for a good phone with a nice thick cord and big drivers...try AKG too
well, im not much of a fan of the design of the SR60...guess the sennheiser have made an impression on me...

ive checked the akg website, but im pretty lost...which models would you advise me?

Fergymunster
07-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Do these have thicker wires than the HD435? Guess ill have to spend $100+ to get some serious headphones right?

I'm a sennheiser fan myself.The HD 555 is very durable and should last a long time.Go to Headphone.com and there you'll find all the headphones available.You can also punch the photo of the headphone and see for your self how durable they are.Also Sennhieser are now on sale

setekh
07-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm a sennheiser fan myself.The HD 555 is very durable and should last a long time.Go to Headphone.com and there you'll find all the headphones available.You can also punch the photo of the headphone and see for your self how durable they are.Also Sennhieser are now on sale
Ive checked prices, and I can get the HD555 for around €90 back here in Portugal...the HD595 should be a bit more expensive - at €135. Is it worth it to pay 50% more for the headphones, or will the HD555 be all I need? :)

Fergymunster
07-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Ive checked prices, and I can get the HD555 for around €90 back here in Portugal...the HD595 should be a bit more expensive - at €135. Is it worth it to pay 50% more for the headphones, or will the HD555 be all I need? :)
Te HD 555 is a good headphone.However, the HD 595 is definitely a step above.Is it 50% better than the HD 555 it depends.If your in it for the long haul the HD 595 will last a life time if you take care of them.Also some say you might need a headphone amp to get the most out of them but it not essentail.If I were you and you take headphone listening seriously I would get the HD 595.Some say it's in the same league as the HD650.Hope this helps

setekh
07-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Te HD 555 is a good headphone.However, the HD 595 is definitely a step above.Is it 50% better than the HD 555 it depends.If your in it for the long haul the HD 595 will last a life time if you take care of them.Also some say you might need a headphone amp to get the most out of them but it not essentail.If I were you and you take headphone listening seriously I would get the HD 595.Some say it's in the same league as the HD650.Hope this helps
OK then..guess its pretty much settled...just need to do some research to find the best deal I can get on the HD595 (€135 is a bit more than the €20 I used to spend on this kind of thing :P) and itll be party time :4: hehe

Anyway, im really grateful for the help you gave me :)

Fergymunster
07-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Just a last thought the HD 595 is not 50% better than the HD 555.IMO

Fergymunster
07-04-2006, 03:00 PM
It's still a great headphone though

Fergymunster
07-04-2006, 03:28 PM
It's still a great headphone though
Sorry if I"m wishy washy ,I look at the price of the HD595 it can be had over here for about $170.For that price or near it,It's is a bargain.

setekh
07-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Sure it cant be 50% better....the HD555 seems to be great itself..and the folks from Sennheiser wouldnt sell a model that much better for a few more bucks :nono: (which is just too bad :arf:)

Im sure that if i kept looking id find some interesting deals on other models (n other brands) but im turning into a Sennheiser fanboy :biggrin5: so the HD595 is as good as mine already :smilewinkgrin:

Also, for some more relaxed use, like TV n some mp3, im considering a wireless solution (the tv is like 4mts away from the sofa so wired isnt an option :arf:). Im more inclined to get the RS120 instead of the higher-end models...it should prove good enough for its purpose...

Fergymunster
07-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Sure it cant be 50% better....the HD555 seems to be great itself..and the folks from Sennheiser wouldnt sell a model that much better for a few more bucks :nono: (which is just too bad :arf:)

Im sure that if i kept looking id find some interesting deals on other models (n other brands) but im turning into a Sennheiser fanboy :biggrin5: so the HD595 is as good as mine already :smilewinkgrin:

Also, for some more relaxed use, like TV n some mp3, im considering a wireless solution (the tv is like 4mts away from the sofa so wired isnt an option :arf:). Im more inclined to get the RS120 instead of the higher-end models...it should prove good enough for its purpose...
Great, you won't be disappointed with the HD 595. ENJOY

audio_dude
07-05-2006, 05:31 AM
ya, those are good phones too, good luck with 'em :D

Spiritboxer
07-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Hey, I played upright bass and bass guitar back in the day. You might want to look into the AKG K81 DJ. Haven't heard them myself but they're being talked up quite a bit on head-fi. I've used headphones with keyboards but I never thought of using them for bass. Wonder how they'd hold up as I've blown amp speakers myself including an Ampeg B15N Portaflex. Let us know how you make out, I'm really curious.

CookieFactory
08-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Oh god, not Grados!