Cable Guy: Brilliance Overlooked? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable Guy: Brilliance Overlooked?

superpanavision70mm
07-03-2006, 10:58 PM
It's been years since I've seen Jim Carrey as 'The Cable Guy' and when I last saw the film...it was brand new. Now nearly a decade later I re-visited the film to realize that the film actually has some brilliant moments laced throughout. What appears to be a silly comedy on the outside actually has some interesting inside points.

There are some interesting moments regarding stealing cable, male companionship, friendship, loneliness, court TV (the Ben Stiller twin character sendup of the Menendez Bros.), junk TV (the Eric Roberts playing the Ben Stiller twins in a made-for-TV-movie called Brother Sweet Brother), MTV, and the future of TV....access to the internet, phone, cable, and shopping all from one medium. Was this a prediction of the future? Well, that day is certainly here, but was just a dream back in 1996.

So my 10 year later analysis is that this is one underrated film that is worthy of rediscovery on many levels. It's clearly one of Carrey's better characters, which waivers on insane and serious. Think about the scene where he is playing Adult Password with the Matthew Broderick characters parents. Or the Karaoke version of Jefferson Airplane a la Gimme Shelter Summer of Love that Jim Carrey pulls off magnificently.

Unfortunately comedies in the past 10 years aren't able to pull together wit without going to the extreme of being stupid, gross, trashy, or just another repeat of the same old song and dance we have seen over and over again.

kexodusc
07-04-2006, 04:03 AM
Brilliant? Ummm....No

But it was underrated IMO. It wasn't a typical goofy comedy really.
I think it was Jim Carrey's turning point as an actor. The guy's no Tom Hanks or anything, but he proved he can pull off more than slapstick comedy.

L.J.
07-05-2006, 05:46 AM
I've always liked that movie. I don't own it, but if it happens to be on cable.......

eisforelectronic
07-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I've always thought it was one of the saddest movies. I can't imagine having no friends.

superpanavision70mm
07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
I can certainly appreciate where the Cable Guy is coming from. It's not like he doesn't have friends for lack of trying, but everyone seems far to busy with their own life to commit to a friendship with him. He is also a good friend at that...as long as you hold up on your end of the deal. I certainly have had my share of friends come and go mainly due to their lack of commitment and only calling when it was convenient for them. Friendship works both ways and perhaps all of us are a bit guilty of taking more than we give.