I'm in a jam. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm in a jam.

jlcct
07-01-2006, 01:55 AM
I just moved into a new apartment and I have a problem. Well besides the fact that it's an apartment. I have lines scrolling up my screen. I have a Mitsubishi HC-100U projector on a fairly large screen and it is annoyingly more noticable than on my other t.v.'s.

I had the screen and setup connected at another apartment without this problem. I took the electrical outlets out of the wall to check for grounds and none of the outlets in the apartment are grounded back to the panel, just to the outlet boxes themselves. The wire is old and the ground wires are severed.

I am almost certain that the ground is causing the problem. But living in an apartment, even though I would like to, running new wires doesn't fly with the landlord. My landlord is a sketchball and even though I am willing to upgrade the wiring, she doesn't seem to care that I would be bringing her house up to code.

So here I am with lines up my screen and in search of a creative way of eliminating the problem. So does anyone know of any equipment that I could buy that may cure my cancer or any suggestions that may help? Otherwise I might risk changing one circuit and hoping she doesn't notice.

- Jeff

The Tahitijack
07-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Free legal advice: Do not make any modifications without landlord's written consent. If your landlord appoves hire a licensed and insured electrician to do the work and provide her with a copy of the reciept.

Have you asked the manufacturer or local AV store what might cause the problem and a cure? There is always a chance it was caused by the move.

paul_pci
07-01-2006, 04:54 PM
This is not an immediate solution, but if you know for sure that the electrical is not up to code, you should contact a building inspector to come out, and if that's the case, they can coerce the property owner to bring the problem up to code. It won't endear you to your landlord, perhaps, but it may be a way to fix the wiring problem.

Grandpaw
07-05-2006, 09:27 AM
If all your TV sets have the same problem then it is not going to be a TV problem.

I would start out by finding out if the cable works in your neighbors apartment. If it is messed up there also call the cable company to check it out.

If it works in the next apartment ask if you could run a long extension cord from their apartment to YOUR TV with YOUR CABLE hooked up. If using their power with your TV and cable cures the problem you will know for sure very quickly it is an electrical problem. If the picture is still bad call the cable company.

Either way you should be able to determine what is causing your trouble in a matter of minutes. Hope this helps, Jeff

NOTE: be sure and use a three wire cord to check the electical with.

jlcct
07-05-2006, 10:15 AM
That was a good idea. I wish I thought of it sooner. Unfortunately / fortunately I just got transfered for work so it looks like I am already going to be moving out. Aiiyyiiyyii. I have a 2 month notice clause on my lease so it's no big deal. I'm sorry if I wasted your time but I certainly appreciate the advise. Maybe my new place will be a little more home theatre friendly.

Jeff