Fry an egg on my HT Amp...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fry an egg on my HT Amp......

swwdts
06-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Ok,My HT Amp built into its box gets so hot it is like touching a hot stove cover.The amps fuse has not blown yet & my q. is do all amps for a powered subwoofer get that hot???? Oh,it gets that hot after only 30min. of being turned on. :confused5:

SlumpBuster
06-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Amps can get very hot indeed. Class A amps can get hot enough to burn you if the protective cage is not in place. However, powered subs usually use much more efficient amps that should not really get that hot to the touch. My powered sub at best gets warm. However, if you are giving it a brutal workout, it could get rather hot. I would not worry about it, other than making sure the amp has plenty of ventilation room. Any name brand amp will be UL listed, which means there should be no risk of fire if used as intended. Fuses will shut the thing down before anything goes too haywire.

emorphien
06-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Amps can get very hot indeed. Class A amps can get hot enough to burn you if the protective cage is not in place. However, powered subs usually use much more efficient amps that should not really get that hot to the touch. My powered sub at best gets warm. However, if you are giving it a brutal workout, it could get rather hot. I would not worry about it, other than making sure the amp has plenty of ventilation room. Any name brand amp will be UL listed, which means there should be no risk of fire if used as intended. Fuses will shut the thing down before anything goes too haywire.
I'd want to know for sure that any given device is supposed to get that hot before assuming it's ok just because it's UL listed. Any individual unit could be defective, and if it seems unreasonably hot I'd double check whether it really is or isn't unusual.

swwdts
06-30-2006, 09:37 PM
thank you to the both of you !

JohnMichael
07-01-2006, 12:13 PM
If the amp is operating properly and you would like it to run cooler Parasound makes a small fan unit designed to increase ventilation for power amps. It is available at www.audioadvisor.com and is called the Zbreeze fan.

The Tahitijack
07-01-2006, 01:48 PM
I would take it back to the place of purchase and ask them to check it out. If you don't please make certain your fire insurance is paid up and your policy has no exclusions or deductable.

swwdts
07-01-2006, 04:55 PM
If the amp is operating properly and you would like it to run cooler Parasound makes a small fan unit designed to increase ventilation for power amps. It is available at www.audioadvisor.com and is called the Zbreeze fan. Thanks ! I will go to that site .:)

shokhead
07-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Ok,My HT Amp built into its box gets so hot it is like touching a hot stove cover.The amps fuse has not blown yet & my q. is do all amps for a powered subwoofer get that hot???? Oh,it gets that hot after only 30min. of being turned on. :confused5:

What's your amp running?

kexodusc
07-07-2006, 07:08 AM
If you're using a stereo amplifier to power a subwoofer (which is what I think I'm reading), it's not surprising your amp is getting warm.
The woofer is most likely 4 ohm nominal, with imedance drops at 3 ohms or lower - and I wouldn't be shocked if it went below 2 ohms at one point....that's at on of current that amp is being asked to deliver.
What's worse, subs like power for so many reasons I won't even get into. A lot of amps might be rated to handle 4 ohm nominal speakers, but truth be told, a 4 ohm nominal speaker is often much easier to drive than a real 4 ohm nominal woofer with no crossover etc..
Might want to consider getting a bigger, stronger amp, or a dedicated subwoofer plate amp.