maybe a stupid question... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : maybe a stupid question...

HD newbie
06-30-2006, 04:05 PM
How does everyone wire up there tv's ??? Do you go straight from the cable or satellite box component or HDMI up to the tv or do you go coax to the back of your TV or both... I was thinking that with the TV tuners it would make the picture a bit better but maybe I'm wrong ?

THanks in advance

topspeed
07-05-2006, 12:42 PM
It depends on your rig. Newer AVR's have hdmi switching allowing you to plug all of your hdmi capable source components into the avr and then use one hdmi output to the monitor.

If you don't have this capability, it may simply come down to what kind of inputs your set has. I use hdmi from my dvd player (for vid only, audio is via optical and 6 analog ic's to the avr) directly to the set while all other source equip. is connected to my avr via component or s-vid, which in turn feeds a component lead to the set.

Coax sucks ass, avoid at all costs.

Geoffcin
07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Coax sucks ass, avoid at all costs.

I think you missed you calling as a Hallmark Card writer.

bubslewis
07-13-2006, 03:44 PM
OK, since the original title of this thread referred to stupid question, I'll ask one that has nothing to do with original subject matter.

How do you do a partial quote when doing a reply (as the Site Moderator did in his last reply)? Often I don't want to put the whole quote (especially if it's 3 miles long) but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do a partial. If I highlite a certain section and hit quote, it still brings up the whole thing.

Geoffcin
07-13-2006, 04:48 PM
How do you do a partial quote when doing a reply (as the Site Moderator did in his last reply)? Often I don't want to put the whole quote (especially if it's 3 miles long) but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do a partial. If I highlite a certain section and hit quote, it still brings up the whole thing.

It's as easy as cut, copy, and paste. You can even add little smilies where you want. :thumbsup:

Using Vb code you can change the text looks;

this text is bold
this text is italic
this text is underlined

Add some color

this text is blue

Change the size

this text is two sizes larger than normal

Highlight the text

this text is highlighted

or do any number of things including adding PICS, and links too.

bubslewis
07-13-2006, 06:24 PM
:13: or do any number of things including adding PICS, and links too.

Thanks,

Bill :smilewinkgrin:

superpanavision70mm
07-17-2006, 04:33 AM
I swear that Comcast is almost purposeful now in making their basic cable signal delivery poor picture just so people upgrade to HD. They send out old boxes for customers with the composite-only outs, which usually give even worse quality than the coaxial, which is also borderline terrible. Of course playing this on a HD set of any kind is going to magnify the problem. Anyone else want to complain?

edtyct
07-17-2006, 05:42 AM
While we're on the subject, what annoys me about Comcast is that its On Demand still carries the dreaded message, "This movie has been altered from the original. It has been formatted to fit your screen." Whose bloody screen would that be? At this stage of the game, there is absolutely no excuse that I can imagine for not delivering a widescreen film in its true format. If Comcast feels duty-bound to satisfy the 4:3 crowd, whose standards are obviously not terribly high (pace those who can't afford a 16:9 set), let them offer a cropped version as an option. I don't order many films this way. Did I miss something?

And another thing: Why aren't more of these new films in HD? I seem to recall a greater selection some time ago when I accessed this service. Is Comcast saving bandwidth?

ericl
07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
While we're on the subject, what annoys me about Comcast is that its On Demand still carries the dreaded message, "This movie has been altered from the original. It has been formatted to fit your screen." Whose bloody screen would that be? At this stage of the game, there is absolutely no excuse that I can imagine for not delivering a widescreen film in its true format. If Comcast feels duty-bound to satisfy the 4:3 crowd, whose standards are obviously not terribly high (pace those who can't afford a 16:9 set), let them offer a cropped version as an option. I don't order many films this way. Did I miss something?

And another thing: Why aren't more of these new films in HD? I seem to recall a greater selection some time ago when I accessed this service. Is Comcast saving bandwidth?

Amen brother. Bring on the widescreen! I wish the SD HBO stations would do the same. .

There was an article a few weeks ago about Comcast wanting to add more HD on demand, I posted it in the News & Rumors forum. I can't remember the reason for the hold up (the movie studios probably).