Finally....the peace of mind [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finally....the peace of mind

Florian
06-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Well hello fellow music mates.
<o =""></o><o =""></o>
I have finally finished it, and am at a state of peace of mind. I really like the finished work and this audio system has been 5 years in the building now. Yesterday i installed my new moveable wall and made some new cables, adjusted the EQ settings and sorted my music.

I am proud of my system and would like to take a moment to show some pictures of the finished results and how I designed it, what I did on the room acoustics, power filtering and setup side. <o ="">

</o> The cornerstone and the pride of this system is the beautiful and fully restored and tuned Apogee DIVA Reference, <o ="">
</o><o =""></o>
seen here. <o ="">
</o><o =""></o>
http://www.apogeeclub.de/final/system.jpg

The big power amplifier in the middle is a Usher Audio Technology 1.5 Reference (to be replaced with the 2.5 when the next paycheck comes). The power required by the DIVA is massive and the more the better. Currently it is throwing about 400 wpc in the DIVA which is ok, but to get the full enjoyment and dynamics it needs more. The Usher 1.5 is very musical and very high in resolution. It has no character but can sometimes be a bit on the dry side, which is taken care with power filters.<o ="">
</o><o =""></o>
Here is a shot of the power filter and power amp<o ="">
</o><o =""></o>
http://www.apogeeclub.de/final/filter.jpg

The Preamp is a RM Eng. RM40 Preamp which was custom designed for a Audiophile in <st1 ="">Holland<st1:city w:st="on"></st1:city></st1>. When he sadly past away, I became the new lucky owner. It is a 3 piece Preamp. It has a tube power supply, tube phono stage and the preamp itself is also tube based. The sound is very neutral, lightning fast and sometimes too detailed. But this is wonderfull, since the DIVA is only limited by the equipment and I am a detail lover.<o ="">
</o><o =""></o>
Here is a shot of the preamp.

http://www.apogeeclub.de/final/pre.jpg
<o =""> </o><o =""></o>
The CD Transport is a trusty TEAC VRDS T-1 with the VRDS disc clamping system and Philips CDM9 Laser, which is used inside the big Wadias and Krells but for a lot less money. The DAC is a Wadia 12, which is one of the smaller versions from Wadia, but a very musical one. <o ="">
</o><o =""></o>
Here is a pic of the pair.

http://www.apogeeclub.de/final/electronics.jpg
<o =""> </o><o =""></o>
The rest of the system is comprised of a modified Rega Planar 3 with Sub Chassy, Goldring 1055 System and Acrylic Platter. I also use a Pro Ject 1.2e Turntable with a basic ELAC 790HGS System. Along others are the Behringer 8024, 2496 and a Marantz DVD Player. <o ="">
</o><o =""></o>
The wall I put up yesterday is incredibly good looking, and slightly dampens the rear wall. I sit 11ft away from the DIVA’s with first reflection point absorbers. I also have stacked absorbers about 6ft tall and 4ft wide in the center behind the wall to break up the back wave. <o ="">
</o><o =""></o>
Here is a shot of the absorbers

http://www.apogeeclub.de/final/divaabsorber.jpg
<o =""></o><o =""></o><o =""></o>
<o =""></o><o =""></o>
I am really happy to have completed my beginning journey and only spin tunes and relax now. Thanks for looking J

http://www.apogeeclub.de/final/music.jpg<o =""></o><o =""></o><o ="">
</o>

ericl
06-30-2006, 01:18 PM
very nice Flo, very nice.

drseid
06-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Good stuff. Excellent looking system. I am sure it sounds even better.

Congrats,

---Dave

SlumpBuster
06-30-2006, 02:45 PM
:biggrin5: Okay, first I don't believe your truely finished. :smilewinkgrin: If any believes you I got a bridge to sell them. :D

Have you ever metered or otherwise figured how many of those 400 watts are actually being used? I ask because my amp has a fairly accurate watt meter (I cross checked it with a decible meter and the published sensitivity of my speakers) and I have only taken it past 30 watts like two times. I know people have always suggested that on most box speakers your rarely using more than a watt, but I was still surprised to see it in actual practice. But, I figure the Diva will perform differently.

Also, since I know your new to vinyl, you should be careful placing anything on your dust cover. It will get scratched to hell that way. I actually have my turntable under glass. I have to lift one piece of glass, then the dust cover. That keeps everything sharp looking.

audio_dude
06-30-2006, 03:55 PM
*looks at watch* i wonder how many hours this is gonna last?

cam
06-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Ya, but does all that gear sound better then my Paradigm speakers HA HA HA. You stated in the past that you would listen to a track with your system and you would literally cry, when I listen to mine I smile from ear to ear. Maybe when you listen to your system, your crying because you spend way too much and I'm smiling because my system sounds great and I didn't break the bank. I'm just having some fun with you there Flo.

KaiWinters
07-01-2006, 01:46 AM
Wow nice looking and I'll bet sounding system.
I agree that it is not over...it is never over.
Thanks for showing and telling us what you have done.

likeitloud
07-01-2006, 02:05 AM
Great Job Flo, Beautiful set-up, workmanship, and all the pieces well thought out. Also
nice room acoustics added. I would love to hear ERUPTION on that. Heaven. One
day I hope to get were you are, I'm studying, paying attention, and always putting away
$, when possible. Thanks for the show.:3:

Florian
07-01-2006, 06:04 AM
To Eric: Thanks, it took a lot of work and dedication and i am happy its finally at this state

To Dave: Thanks Dave, the electronics is something that will continue to grow but in a slow rate. It doesnt really sound, it shows the music in a visual way and its impossible to describe the sound since it adepts to the musc.

To SlumpBuster: I know, i know but everything will slow down now. We have metered it with a Accuphase P500 and the DIVA sucked down 350 watts *BIG EYES*... Yeeks! The DIVA is strange, as you can use a 50 watt amp and get close to 100db in the room, but the speaker changes and becomes much more open, almost limitless dynamics with SPL's up to 114 *measured in my room on Krell MDA500's. The cover is in ok shape, but i will take your tip and remove the struff from it :-)

To audio_dude: I dont know either.

To cam: Hehe, i once cried on the Phantom of the Opera, the DIVA can do that to you.

To Kai: Thanks and i agree its never over, but it will slow down considerably. The system is exeptional and simply breathes and lives...

To likeitloud: Thanks! You are welcome to come on over with your disc ;-) It takes a LOT of work and time and i have had no life for the past 5 years :-)

bobsticks
07-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Gorgeous, Flo. Obviously, the electronics are first rate and the new dividers make what had once been a visually busy room very serene. Hats off to you for perservering on the long road. Iwish you many hours of enjoyment--though I'm sure that's already underway :)

Cheers to ya,
M

Florian
07-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Gorgeous, Flo. Obviously, the electronics are first rate and the new dividers make what had once been a visually busy room very serene. Hats off to you for perservering on the long road. Iwish you many hours of enjoyment--though I'm sure that's already underway :)

Cheers to ya,
M

Thank you very much. Yes, everything is first rate. The room is fantastic and i am so relaxed and calm that it is almost scary. I am currently playing Divox Antiqua- Concerto Stravagante and i am speechless. Its .....stunning.

:16:

basite
07-01-2006, 11:22 AM
that is possibly the most impressive setup i've ever seen!! congratgulations!! u must be the proudest person on earth!

audio_dude
07-01-2006, 11:55 AM
that is possibly the most impressive setup i've ever seen!! congratgulations!! u must be the proudest person on earth!

depends on who you are comparing the stereo to, all my other 14 year old friends stare at my stereo cause all they have is cheap mini systems and boomboxes...

i've got about $400 - $500 in stuff, only the speakers are new, the other stuff (amp and tuner) are circa 70's...

my next upgrade will be the amp to a denon DRA-295 receiver, then soon after a trade-up with the speakers to the paradigm mini monitors...

Feanor
07-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Florian,

Looks great and no doubt sounds that way. Yes, I'm envious. Speaking of which, I did pass up the chance to listen to and buy some low end Apoges when I bought my Magneplanars -- I regret I didn't listen to them.

One thing though: your equipment is all on very low shelves. Is that on purpose? An old guy like me couldn't stand all that bending over. :(

Now you have to think some more about computer play back. Why not when everything else is pretty much perfect.

Feanor
07-01-2006, 12:14 PM

Florian's is great for sure, but there are other nice ones. Here, for example ...
http://homepage.mac.com/mberard2/PhotoAlbum1.html

Flo, get some of those stands!!

Feanor
07-01-2006, 12:34 PM

This from Mike Lavigne at Positive Feedback ...
http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html

Even Flo might be eating his heart out on this one. I seem to recall he spent something like $150 grand on the room, never mind the system

JohnMichael
07-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Florian, an excellent job by any measure.

basite
07-01-2006, 12:46 PM
indeed, guess i'll be seeing alot of impressive setups here (quite new to this forum) but @audio_dude: i've got the same effect with my friends (i'm 15 -nearly 16 years old) and all my friends got a little kitchen radio to do with and when you see my advents then it might get you a little jalous (for my friends) so i know what you're talking about. for the rest, i'll be upgrading to a denon DRA-455 in a short time because my crappy yamaha broke again.:( i hope the denon will do better.

basite
07-01-2006, 12:59 PM
too bad none of my friends (possebly my whole school) doesn't understands the power and essence of music, especcially things like a decent setup and decent music (like jazz, lounge, alternative, world and so on) seem to be forgotten these days.(at least by the average teenager)

Florian
07-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Thank you all, and yes there are some very good systems out there! Equipment wise there is still a whole other range that is better then mine. But i am willing to put up the speakers against any other system in the world! I get my ideas and designs from statement systems and have learned a lot from people with better systems then me. But most other are twice my age and over, and with 23 years old i still have a lot of room left.

Cheers

Flo

To Feanor: I can use my laptop for testing that. Maybe ill buy one of those SB's next month for the fun of it. But i has to be wireless. I cant stand cables anymore :-)

Florian
07-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Florian,

Looks great and no doubt sounds that way. Yes, I'm envious. Speaking of which, I did pass up the chance to listen to and buy some low end Apoges when I bought my Magneplanars -- I regret I didn't listen to them.

Well, you still have the chance everynow and then to buy one. If there is one for sale near you, then i suggest you check them out. Even the smallest Apogee (Stage) has a resolution thats better then the MG20.1.

One thing though: your equipment is all on very low shelves. Is that on purpose? An old guy like me couldn't stand all that bending over. :(
Well, i dont mind since the electronics are permanently on (exept for the big power amp) and i listen to my music cd's all the way through. But i am saving money for a new rack from Lovan, but the darn thing is 600 bucks :-(

Now you have to think some more about computer play back. Why not when everything else is pretty much perfect.
I will give that a try, next month. I am going to buy the big power amp for the Apogees. Maybe i get lucky and find a Accuphase P500 too.

emack27
07-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Florian's is great for sure, but there are other nice ones. Here, for example ...
http://homepage.mac.com/mberard2/PhotoAlbum1.html

Flo, get some of those stands!!
Is that a hardwood floor I see. Might need some rugs eh? Let's say on the floor on the walls on the ceiling on the widows on the doors. Just giving ya crap. No looks good but is it a little bright sounding?

Florian
07-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Well, the picture shows a bit of the floor. But Apogees exhibit very little floor and ceeling reflections and also load the room equally (thanks to the fullrange dipole radiation pattern and the linesource height). The room is pretty darn good (exept the size), not overdamped and not too light. Also the system is EQ'd to pretty flat.

Cheers

Flo

PS: Let me know when your in Germany, then stop on by for a listen. A forum member is visiting me from Holland today ;-)

PHiX
07-04-2006, 09:28 AM
and with 23 years old i still have a lot of room left.

Holy crap, did you win a lottery, full time pimp or deal drugs being able to afford all that?? :idea:

Either way, it looks great.... and expensive.

I hope you wont marry a girl who wants to replace it with a bose system. ;)

kexodusc
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Flo, you have struck that balance between proper audio setup and modern decor, to a tee..
Very nice system. You are proof to everyone that a good sounding system can look as good as it sounds - and let's face it, looks ARE important.

JoeE SP9
07-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Where's a picture of your chair Flo?:ihih: Do you listen standing up?:ciappa: All that great gear in that nice room and not one picture of your chair.:confused: What's the matter, are you ashamed of your chair?:sad: Your rig looks wonderful! I'm sure it sounds better than it looks.:cool:

Feanor
07-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Thank you all, and yes there are some very good systems out there!
To Feanor: I can use my laptop for testing that. Maybe ill buy one of those SB's next month for the fun of it. But i has to be wireless. I cant stand cables anymore :-)

Good for you, Florian, and I mean that sincerely. I'm one of those guys more than twice your age, but I'll never own a system as good as yours.

Try the SB, even if you don't think the sound is up to much, you'll be better for knowing about it. On the other hand, you might be pleasantly surprised. Of course, try it through your fancy DAC as well as with the build-in one. Wireless seems to be OK for most people, though I had quite a few drop outs when I accessed my HD with the music files that way.

Feanor
07-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Flo, you have struck that balance between proper audio setup and modern decor, to a tee..
Very nice system. You are proof to everyone that a good sounding system can look as good as it sounds - and let's face it, looks ARE important.

I'm still waiting for my second new preamp to arrive, the McIntosh C712 -- getting really PO'd with Canada Post; should have gone UPS despite the exhorbidant brokerage fees. Think I'm going to love the Mac look; I'm already thinking of getting one their power amps. You know, with the big, blue glowing meters. :cornut:

kexodusc
07-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I love the glass faces on the McIntosh gear...big ol' VU meters...and no remotes...they still haven't abandonned that approach....congrats on your purchase.

GMichael
07-05-2006, 05:52 AM
Great job Flo. I won't even entertain the idea that you are done. So I ask, what will be next?

Florian
07-05-2006, 06:28 AM
Holy crap, did you win a lottery, full time pimp or deal drugs being able to afford all that?? :idea:

I pimped out computer systems with watercooling, LED's, Liquid Nitrogen cooling and went on shows and made some money. Currently i design, build and plan computer networks up to 150 clients. So most of my money comes from that. Now i work in a Hotel and study on the side.

Either way, it looks great.... and expensive.

Thanks, i am happy with the result too. And sonically its exeptional.

I hope you wont marry a girl who wants to replace it with a bose system. ;)

Over my dead body ;-)

Florian
07-05-2006, 06:38 AM

Thank you Kex! I agree that the optical presentation is a major factor in the enjoyment of music. I will make some more pictures of how i listen (different light setting) and try to capture that.

Cheers

Flo

PAT.P
07-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Very nice set-up and man your clean.The only thing I could say is the plants "If you cant smoke it dont grow it":ihih: Cheers

Florian
07-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Where's a picture of your chair Flo?:ihih: Do you listen standing up?:ciappa: All that great gear in that nice room and not one picture of your chair.:confused: What's the matter, are you ashamed of your chair?:sad: Your rig looks wonderful! I'm sure it sounds better than it looks.:cool:

Hehe, actually i could listen standing up and the sound wont change a bit ;-) But i made a picture of my seating just for you :ihih: Thanks for the compliments, it took a lot of work too.

Cheers

Flo

http://www.apogeeclub.de/final/chair.jpg

Florian
07-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Very nice set-up and man your clean.The only thing I could say is the plants "If you cant smoke it dont grow it":ihih: Cheers

Thank you Pat, my secret stash is behind the dividers ;-)

Florian
07-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Good for you, Florian, and I mean that sincerely. I'm one of those guys more than twice your age, but I'll never own a system as good as yours.

Thanks you Feanor. I am very overwhelmed at this system and i sometimes do not understand how i got so lucky.

Try the SB, even if you don't think the sound is up to much, you'll be better for knowing about it. On the other hand, you might be pleasantly surprised. Of course, try it through your fancy DAC as well as with the build-in one. Wireless seems to be OK for most people, though I had quite a few drop outs when I accessed my HD with the music files that way.

I will give that device a try. I need to find a dealer for it in Germany.

Cheers

Flo

Florian
07-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Great job Flo. I won't even entertain the idea that you are done. So I ask, what will be next?

Thanks GM!

My next step will be the bigger Class A model from my current Amplifier in the next month. After that, the Lyngdorf Audio TDA2200 (real digital room correction). The Behringer is a fine toy and helpfull but the real devices are the next level. And thats what i am saving up too. Other then that, a new Turntable, most likely a used Goldmund T3F-Studio and of course a bigger room :-)

But i am not in a state where i have to rush with it, but can gradually step up-

Cheers

Flo

Florian
07-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Update

Thank you all for the (to me) supresinly lively outcome of comments and Greetings! I am really happy about that! My visitor from Holland (a forum member) will write about his trip to my little place in bavaria with some more pictures. Also he stumbled upon something that i am sure he will share here ;-)

In the meantime here is one more picture of the updated equipment layout and a picture of myself.

Cheers to all

-Flo

http://www.apogeeclub.de/final/me.jpg

http://www.apogeeclub.de/final/equip2.jpg

JoeE SP9
07-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Once again Flo, KILLER SYSTEM! A pair of killer chairs to match and support that killer sound is all you need. You do realize you have brought out a little green in all of us. It is however, good green.:cool:

basite
07-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Over my dead body ;-)

who on earth is still stupid enough to choose some crappy bose system over that??

and btw: creative interpretation of a chair, i'm using my bed as a chair

Florian
07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
who on earth is still stupid enough to choose some crappy bose system over that??

and btw: creative interpretation of a chair, i'm using my bed as a chair

Well, the customer who wants a small and functional music system should definetly not buy something like i have. I dont think there is a person who would pic a BOSE system over any High End company based on sonics.

Cheers

Flo

jt1stcav
07-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Flo, your system is a work of art as well. I've always believed in aesthetics, even if I sit in my sweet spot and listen to my music with my eyes closed. But no matter the gear, it can still look just as impressive as it sounds if laid out correctly in your room, and you have definately achieved that!

Wish I was stationed in Ludwigsburg now instead of the early '80s...would love to pay you a visit and hear what this great system is capable of.

Enjoy.

Florian
07-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Flo, your system is a work of art as well. I've always believed in aesthetics, even if I sit in my sweet spot and listen to my music with my eyes closed. But no matter the gear, it can still look just as impressive as it sounds if laid out correctly in your room, and you have definately achieved that!

Wish I was stationed in Ludwigsburg now instead of the early '80s...would love to pay you a visit and hear what this great system is capable of.

Enjoy.

Thanks! I am moving very soon with my new speakers so maybe you have to make the tip ;-) I have many reservations already incl. 15 visitors from Holland :idea:

audio_dude
07-23-2006, 12:24 PM
some day when i'm outta high school, i'm gonna buy a plane ticket and scoot on over there to drool over your system...well, i'll bring a bucket so i don't short anything out