Bi-Wire Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Wire Question

jlcct
06-30-2006, 04:54 AM
O.K. so I recently purchased some speakers and the towers in the front have the option to bi-wire. My HK AVR-7000 starts choking with these 4ohm towers while in a single wire configuration. What I want to know is if I bi-wire them, will that lighten the load at all? I wouldn't think it would make a difference but I'm not sure what effect the bi-wire setup has on my receiver. Would I connect 2 sets of wires to one set of terminals on the receiver?

I have an HK PA-5800 that is 4 ohm stable but the receiver amp is reciculously louder and I think the 5800 may be starving these hungry speakers so if there's a way to use the AVR-7000 then that's the route I'd like to take.

I have 4 Axiom QS8 V2 speakers, 1 Axiom VP150 V2, 2 M80 V2's and a Dayton Titanic 15" sub. So I have the capability for a 7.1 system but my receiver is only 5.1. I would like to put an end to my frivolous spending habbits but my hunger may not be cured until I have the 7.1 setup. Any ideas that may suggest a limited budget yet result in 7.1 (this won't happen in the next 2 or 3 months but I'd like to get my wheels spinning)?

Jeff

FLZapped
06-30-2006, 07:35 AM
O.K. so I recently purchased some speakers and the towers in the front have the option to bi-wire. My HK AVR-7000 starts choking with these 4ohm towers while in a single wire configuration. What I want to know is if I bi-wire them, will that lighten the load at all?

No, your receiver's amplifier still does exactly the same work.

I wouldn't think it would make a difference but I'm not sure what effect the bi-wire setup has on my receiver. Would I connect 2 sets of wires to one set of terminals on the receiver?

It won't do anything different to your receiver as I stated above.

Yes, you connect two sets of wire to one set of receiver terminals, there is probably a jumper you have to take off the speakers and then the free end of the two wire sets connect to individual terminal sets on the speaker. In the end, all you have done is taken the crossover connection out between the two parts(low frequency and high frequency) of the speaker and moved that connection to the output terminals of the amplifier.

So if your receiver's amp was having trouble before, it will have trouble after.

-Bruce

JohnMichael
06-30-2006, 07:48 AM
I have a question about the wire you are currently using. What guage is your speaker wire? Too small a guage and the resistance of the wire could be a problem. You might be better off buying a larger guage wire if your wires are thin and a single larger cable would be better then two thin wires.

Florian
06-30-2006, 11:49 AM
I had an AVR7000 myself and it had no problems driving 3ohm Maggies.....maybe something wrong on your amp?

jlcct
06-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Well I have 12awg monster cables so they will be large enough I should think.

My receiver is fine with all the other 6ohm Axioms, it's just the two 4ohm towers. I guess I will need to try a new / larger amp.

Florian
07-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Well I have 12awg monster cables so they will be large enough I should think.

My receiver is fine with all the other 6ohm Axioms, it's just the two 4ohm towers. I guess I will need to try a new / larger amp.

I know that that AMP works flawlessly on 3ohm speakers. Can you get a technician to check it out?