sub in series with speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sub in series with speakers?

taigovinda
01-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi,
I'm using a NAD C370 to power Paradigm Monitor 7's, and it seems like the bass gets pretty distorted at high volumes; like it just doesn't have enough power.
I have a Paradigm PDR-10 sitting around, and I'm wondering how/whether I should hook it up to the amp in order to relieve the amp from some of the bass.
I was thinking I could use the pre-amp output to the sub. That doesn't change the way the speakers are powered, though; they still draw just as heavily. So I'd have to disconnect the bottom of the two inputs on each of the monitor 7's. That would cause them to draw less power, but I couldn't control the frequency cutoff, and I don't know what that cutoff would be.
Is there a way that I can connect the speakers in parallel with the sub, so that the frequency cutoff I choose on the sub passes all the higher frequencies on to the speakers? The PDR-10 does have speaker level inputs, but not matching outputs, and I don't understand how to do what I want to do.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Tai

This Guy
01-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Get a Y adapter to connect to the receivers pre-outs so it's one rca cord. Connect that cord to the subwoofer's line level input and adjust the crossover on the sub that sounds the best. Otherwise Connect the speakers from the receiver to the subwoofers input jacks, then use the output jacks to go to the receiver. Then set the crossover to your liking. Hope this helps.

F1
01-31-2004, 01:55 AM
....... The PDR-10 does have speaker level inputs, but not matching outputs, and I don't understand how to do what I want to do.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Tai

Very strange. What's the use of speaker level input but no output. Sell the subwoofer and get one that has speaker level input and output, and you are set. You can adjust the crossover freq the way you like. Good luck