Cables: wiring the lodspeakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cables: wiring the lodspeakers

guaje
06-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi, mates.
I want to improve my setup, and I thinking in upgrade the speakers cables, actually I've got a OFC Cable, single wired and without conectors. I have seen a set by MIT with filtering to bi-wire the speakers. Here are my questions: Do you think that those cables will improve my system? In wich way? Do the cables last so long? Or do they fade with normal use?.
Another question that is going around my head, is that maybe is better to buy a subwoofer (probably B&W ASW 650) than upgrade the wires. Or just bi-wire the speakers with another couple of OFC cables, like the ones I've got.
My setup is:
CD NAD 542
AVR Harman Kardon 5500
Speakers: Front B&W 600 S3, and Central B&W LCR60 S3
No subwoofer (yet...)

Thanks a lot guys.

:16: and the band played on!

JoeE SP9
06-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Get the subwoofer. No doubt about it.:cool:

audio_dude
06-28-2006, 12:42 PM
the sub! the sub!

JohnMichael
06-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I vote for the sub and I usually vote for wires. I think this time you would notice the biggest sonic improvement with extended bass.

superpanavision70mm
06-28-2006, 01:16 PM
I would go with getting the sub as well, although if you do both that would be cool too. I had my towers bi-wired in order to get a slightly better improvement from high to low. I noticed some improvement for sure, but then went with the PS Audio xstreams and they do the same thing only without being bi-wired because they are better cables for handling that type of detail.

paul_pci
06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Go with the sub, but don't limit yourself to just B&W subs, which aren't too shabby in themselves Also consider Velodyne, SVS, and Hsu, the latter two being online only retailers.

Woochifer
06-28-2006, 05:29 PM
The cables will make no measurable difference in your audio playback, whereas a subwoofer will extend your bass by about a half-octave. The cable upgrade will make an improvement that will sound very subtle at best, whereas the subwoofer upgrade will make a clear cut and very obvious difference in how your bass (AND midrange, if you use a high pass crossover like the bass management on your receiver) sounds.

That B&W is a sealed design, and so are the Martin Logan subs. Other sealed models to consider include the Rocket, REL, and ACI subwoofers. Sealed subs are often considered more "musical" sounding because of their quicker transient response and more gradual rolloff at the low end. However, if you have a large room, you might be better off going with the higher efficiency and output of a good ported sub. Keep in mind that ported subs have more variation in their sound quality. The brands that paul_pci mentioned are all very well regarded.

The setup is the key to getting the most out of a subwoofer. Remember that a subwoofer is more influenced by how it interacts with your room than the other speakers. So, in addition to the crossover settings and level matching, the placement, room treatments, and equalization are all considerations when setting up the subwoofer.

slbenz
06-28-2006, 10:09 PM
I agree with everyone else, get the subwoofer. You won't regret it. Biwiring B&W speakers are marginal at best for improved sound. I had B&W CDM7SEs and couldn't really hear any difference when I biwired them. In regards to using MITs (T3s), that is what I had used originally on my B&Ws but replaced them with Cobalt Cables which had a mellower sound that was more airy. Recently I replaced the Cobalt Cables with Synergistic Research cables which really bring out the detail and depth out of my system. Now instead of having a full B&W home theater, I now have a full Magnepan IIIa system. Hope this helps.

Slbenz

basite
07-03-2006, 11:41 AM
we have a b&w asw600 sub which gives quite alot of BOOOM when he has to, only the receiver's effects for music suck so we play music in stereo (which is better anyway) so we only use the sub for movies, nevertheless, the thing booms very hard

Woochifer
07-03-2006, 09:18 PM
we have a b&w asw600 sub which gives quite alot of BOOOM when he has to, only the receiver's effects for music suck so we play music in stereo (which is better anyway) so we only use the sub for movies, nevertheless, the thing booms very hard

Boominess in a subwoofer is typically caused by the room acoustics more than anything else. Try repositioning the subwoofer and you'll likely hear a very different sounding bass. Reducing the boominess will require a combination of placement, equalization, and/or room treatments.