The New Sony Bravia X Series Coming Soon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The New Sony Bravia X Series Coming Soon

Ken7
06-28-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi Everyone, I’m new here and this is my first post.

I am a newbie to high end audio and video. I really need to learn quite a bit more about all the new technologies. My plan is to create a Home Theater and I want to start with a really good TV and build from there.

A local dealer carries the Sony line and he is really big on their Bravia LCD TV’s. He told me that the new models will be coming out in September if I want to wait. He did not have a lot of information beyond that.

So I did some online research using Google and here are some of the links that I came up with.

How does the new X series line look to you?

Sony Bravia X Series, the 46inch looks really nice and it comes with 1080p!

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/sony-at-home-entertainment-2006.shtml

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDL46XBR2&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=hid_tv_newbravia

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6344956.html

Thanks
Ken

topspeed
06-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the board!

As far as LCD's go, Sony's Bravia's are the best I've seen. In fact, I bought my dad a 40" Bravia just a few months ago.

A couple of things about waiting for 1080p sets:
1) Unless your viewing distance is fairly close, it's going to be pretty hard to tell the difference between 1080p and 780p/1080i
2) 1080p is going to be expensive at first
3) There is scant 1080p content at the moment.

Am I saying you shouldn't buy a 1080p? Absolutely not. Just be aware of it's limitations.

It also seems you aren't in a big rush to start, which is good. If I were in the market to buy a set within the next 6 months, I'd definitely wait until I found one with the new LED light engine. Current RPTV's use halogen bulbs with estimated life spans around 4-6,000 hours (of course, both avmaster and mine lasted all of 8 months, substantially less than advertised). They also require noisy fans and take a while to cycle on and off. LED will offer near-instantaneous operation, no heat, and last something like 25,000 hours! Clearly, this is the way to go for rptv's.

*Note: I can't tell if that 46" is a direct view or rptv, but I know their direct views currently max out at 40".

Out of curiousity, why are you looking at the Bravia line? In the same store you should have seen the clear superiority of Sony's own SXRD sets, for nearly the same price. IMO, there is simply no comparison to the smoothness of SXRD/LCoS versus LCD, especially on ED content and scenes with a lot of things moving around...like football games or action movies. The shame is that most stores channel continuous HD content on all of their monitors and let's be honest, HD looks good on anything!

Edyct is our resident video guru, so hopefully he'll chime in as well. He must be on vacation...

Hope this helps.

Ken7
07-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Welcome to the board!

Out of curiousity, why are you looking at the Bravia line? In the same store you should have seen the clear superiority of Sony's own SXRD sets, for nearly the same price. IMO, there is simply no comparison to the smoothness of SXRD/LCoS versus LCD, especially on ED content and scenes with a lot of things moving around...like football games or action movies. The shame is that most stores channel continuous HD content on all of their monitors and let's be honest, HD looks good on anything!

Edyct is our resident video guru, so hopefully he'll chime in as well. He must be on vacation...

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply...I'm new at all this and learning...The guy at the store told me that the Bravia series has a better picture than the SXRD sets. He did not have one there...

I will check them out...

I have lots of learning to do!!!

Could anyone recommend a book or website with tutorials?

Thanks

HD newbie
07-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Saw the new 46" bravia the other day and all i can say is WOW !! Tv of my dreams :) They had it hooked up with the new samsung Blue ray player and it was by far the best pitcure that I have seen.

If you end up picking one up I'm sure you wont regret it for a second . :cornut:

Ken7
07-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Saw the new 46" bravia the other day and all i can say is WOW !! Tv of my dreams :) They had it hooked up with the new samsung Blue ray player and it was by far the best pitcure that I have seen.

If you end up picking one up I'm sure you wont regret it for a second . :cornut:

Where did you see the new Bravia?

AVMASTER
07-03-2006, 06:49 AM
the Sony "x" series is actually the XBR series which will be upgrade with 1080p inputs and will go back to the floating glass design. The 46" version will have a list price of $5k and since it is a XBR model do not expect much ( if any ) discounting from legitimate dealers. Release date is scheduled for early october. If you think that one looks good, its' fancier brother ( model # kdlx46xbrpiano) will be released at the same time for estimated $200.00 more.

HD newbie
07-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Saw it at a dealer here in Abbotsford B.C for 4500.00.

AVMASTER - Whats the biggest diference between this model and the kdlx46xbrpiano ??

AVMASTER
07-04-2006, 01:27 PM
the 46" LCD you saw is Sonys' basic model ( KDL46S2000 ), two new 46" XBR models ( one with "floating glass design, the other has a glossy black bezel) are outfitted with the best of Sony technology. The basic 46" Sony is one of the best LCDs i've seen recently with better off-axis viewing than most. Colors seem oversaturated- even toned down, and excessive edge enhancements ( unrealistic sharpness). Whites are so bright it almost crushes but an Iris control could compensate with the brightness toned down. Overall an excellent choice in its' size range

Ken7
07-04-2006, 04:18 PM
LCD...Plasma...DLP...etc...

To say the least, I am totally confused as to what technology I should zero in on...

Glad I'm not in any rush :)

topspeed
07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
They all have their pros and cons, you just have to decide which works best for your situation. LCD's have the screen door effect (SDE), DLP's have rainbows and spinning wheels, Plasma's can't do 1080p, LCoS has black level issues, yadayadayada...

Just like in audio, you need to pick what looks best to you. I like LCoS, but that's mainly because I notice SDE really easily and it drives me nuts. DLP's are a close second, but my viewing room is almost all glass so ambient light is a real issue. Therefore, LCoS' retina seering brightness made the most sense. If I had a darker room, I could easily see going DLP. Plasma sucks up too much energy and throws off too much heat for me. It's 105 degrees outside, the last thing I need is to make my A/C work any harder than it already is!

Listen to Avmaster, he's a dealer and knows his stuff. You may also want to check into the video forums at avsforums.com. A lot of industry wags hang out there.

Bob L
04-26-2007, 01:32 PM
We just completely remolded our Den, (13x13), and decided we now have the perfect wall to mount an HD TV...Removed old paneling from original owners and all new sheetrock. Wired my surround sound wires, DISH hook up, etc...Now to find an HDTV....I'm finding it so darn frustration...I upgraded my reciever for my surround sound about 3yrs ago....it has components, not HDMI compatible...if I upgrade my DVD, my HDMI cable will go direct to my TV for a better 780p, but no surround sound....:(....I just can't justify buying a new receiver already.....UGH!! Totally frustred in CT and I haven't even purchase the TV yet!!

pixelthis
04-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Saw a sony 1080p direct view for 2200 bucks today at circuit city, and it made my mouth drop open (I think it was a 42in)
Dont know if it was a bravia or not, but if not dont imagine how the bravia could be better, the picture was amazing.
I didnt even think a 1080p direct view lcd was around, but there it was, a gold label stating "1080p". They convinced me.
Now of course they werent watching 1080p material, which is the most exciting thing, this thing must have some amazing upconversion/pic processing ever

spf
04-27-2007, 03:48 AM
I believe the entire Sony line is labeled Bravia for LCD flat panels. The model line consists of the S-Series, V-Series and XBR (Although it may also have a 2 or 3 after XBR for the model version).

And Ken, always you will find salesmen that will tell you what they think looks the best, and as long as they are not bashing other technologies needlessly, this is fine. Just remember that you have to watch the TV in your living room so it better look good to #1. Take your time (which it sounds like you're already doing :) ) and throw on your kind of movies and TV programming and make the choice for yourself. To be honest, things have come ahead so much in the last few years that you will be happy with most any technology that you pick whether it be LCD, Plasma, DLP, LCoS or CRT for that matter. Cheers

Shane

pixelthis
04-29-2007, 01:16 AM
I believe the entire Sony line is labeled Bravia for LCD flat panels. The model line consists of the S-Series, V-Series and XBR (Although it may also have a 2 or 3 after XBR for the model version).

And Ken, always you will find salesmen that will tell you what they think looks the best, and as long as they are not bashing other technologies needlessly, this is fine. Just remember that you have to watch the TV in your living room so it better look good to #1. Take your time (which it sounds like you're already doing :) ) and throw on your kind of movies and TV programming and make the choice for yourself. To be honest, things have come ahead so much in the last few years that you will be happy with most any technology that you pick whether it be LCD, Plasma, DLP, LCoS or CRT for that matter. Cheers

Shane

Sorry but you dont get it.
These new sony sets are a FUNDAMENTAL improvement.
Imagine a whole rack of sets, various manufacturers, all playing the same thing, and the whole world is a shade of grey.
And there it sits, with stunning color, rock solid images, amazing depth
of field, that old 3d illusion you get on good HD.
People walk through the store, gazing at the sets, never stopping till they get to this one, then their eyes widen, its really amazing.
Too bad, at my age I cant get enough for a kidney to buy one:(

pixelthis
04-30-2007, 12:56 AM
AND if you are still sure that 1080p will be "expensive" for awhile check out vizios new 46in LCD for 1700 BUCKS.
Will it be as good as the sony? probably not, but it will be 2 grand cheaper, and you know the panel will be from the same source

edtyct
04-30-2007, 04:08 AM
AND if you are still sure that 1080p will be "expensive" for awhile check out vizios new 46in LCD for 1700 BUCKS.
Will it be as good as the sony? probably not, but it will be 2 grand cheaper, and you know the panel will be from the same source

Unlikely, to say the least. Vizio, which has been called a "virtual" company, originated as a consulting firm for PC manufacturers and has only 55 employees. It was founded by a Chinese American, gets its panels (last I heard) from Chinese AmTRAN, and has no manufacturing capability of its own. Sony, on the other hand, is a major researcher and manufacturer with a huge workforce. Most of its panels were built in facilities jointly owned with Samsung, under the title of S-LCD Corp. However, Sony has found this manufacturing plant to be too limiting and has been looking for ways to ramp up production.

Rich-n-Texas
04-30-2007, 05:39 AM
YES!!! ed the educator lives!!!

I'd be very wary of doing business with a company that doesn't have a firm footing in the HD market. Especially one with such a small employee base. I'd trust a Sony display before an AmTRAN.

OTOH, I'm a DLP fanboy anyway. ;)

edtyct
04-30-2007, 05:56 AM
A fanboy you may be, but at least you are an openly self-professed one, with the working papers to justify your loyalty, for whom facts don't constitute an unnecessary inconvenience.

Personally, I admire Vizio. The company has never let performance slide in the way that the usual no-name, or leased-name, fly-by-night buyers' club, big-box bottom feeders often do. It was the first company to market with a digital output on a standard DVD player, which had pros and hobbyists all a-twitter, and its plasmas and LCDs, though not top drawer, have offered considerable quality for the money. They have allowed many consumers who otherwise might have had to wait on the sidelines to enter the hi def sweepstakes, without selling them short.

spf
04-30-2007, 07:49 AM
These new sony sets are a FUNDAMENTAL improvement.
Imagine a whole rack of sets, various manufacturers, all playing the same thing, and the whole world is a shade of grey.
And there it sits, with stunning color, rock solid images, amazing depth
of field, that old 3d illusion you get on good HD.
People walk through the store, gazing at the sets, never stopping till they get to this one, then their eyes widen, its really amazing.
Too bad, at my age I cant get enough for a kidney to buy one:(

Hehehe, well said pixel and your description is exactly what happened to me when I saw the Sony SXRD among the other TVs in the display area. For me it just stood out as a vibrant and yet deep picture. Price, although always a factor for most including myself, wasn't the real dealmaker or breaker.

Hehehe, saw the LG 52" DLP for sale at Future Shop (one of Best Buy's Canadian groups) for under a grand Cdn. Consumers are winning with prices like that. :) And don't worry pixel, if you can wait a year, you can get that rig for half the price. Cheers

Shane

pixelthis
05-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Hehehe, well said pixel and your description is exactly what happened to me when I saw the Sony SXRD among the other TVs in the display area. For me it just stood out as a vibrant and yet deep picture. Price, although always a factor for most including myself, wasn't the real dealmaker or breaker.

Hehehe, saw the LG 52" DLP for sale at Future Shop (one of Best Buy's Canadian groups) for under a grand Cdn. Consumers are winning with prices like that. :) And don't worry pixel, if you can wait a year, you can get that rig for half the price. Cheers

Shane
Those sxrd sets are nice, with none of the limitations of DLP, excepting
the bulb of course. When is texas instruments going to break down and let feasible 3 chip dlps be made?
One thing that has me so excited about the LCD flat panels is that
they have about an equal picture in a more convienent form factor.
As for vizios' they are made in tawain, a big plus for me as I have
seen nothing but exelent build quality coming from that country.
Of course a sony would be better, question is, 2000 better?

spf
05-02-2007, 03:31 AM
As for vizios' they are made in tawain, a big plus for me as I have
seen nothing but exelent build quality coming from that country.
Of course a sony would be better, question is, 2000 better?

Umm, I would probably have to say no .... not $2000 better, that's a lot of scratch in the difference (Really you could buy another display and have two :) ) Of course, it's always up to the person and what they feel they can afford. Cheers!

Shane

pixelthis
05-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm going to set up a friends 46in 1080p vizio tommorrow hopefully, and will report back.
If all things are equal I always prefer sony, but my wallet is NEVER equal, hence my 37in vizio. I did pay 800 bucks for a 20in sony xbr once (the first xbr) which is about 2400 in todays dollars, but I am no longet that young and stupid.
(BOY, it sure was a great tv, though):cornut: