someone recommend good quality speakers floorstanding /bookshelfe+base [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : someone recommend good quality speakers floorstanding /bookshelfe+base

xcelll
06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
power is not important at all , but quality is very important. well as important as it can be for about $400 budget. this is for a small dorm room and i have a audisource amp 100 about 70watt a chnl. and i dont think i can speakers and a sub to it so it must be speakers to sub sub to amp.

xcelll
06-27-2006, 07:01 PM
i would prefer floorstanding i guess , btw this is to be hooked up to my pc for mostly music with some games.

xcelll
06-27-2006, 07:15 PM
how about JBL E 80 or 100? does anyone know how good/bad they sound?

superpanavision70mm
06-27-2006, 09:27 PM
You could get some nice polk floorstanders for about that price or even the new PSB Alpha towers that they just brought out....

http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=68&sId=4

They list for $600, but you could easily get them for something inside your price range. Definitely! Oh and they will rock your world for that price too...rock it mang!

drseid
06-28-2006, 12:12 AM
power is not important at all , but quality is very important. well as important as it can be for about $400 budget. this is for a small dorm room and i have a audisource amp 100 about 70watt a chnl. and i dont think i can speakers and a sub to it so it must be speakers to sub sub to amp.

To my ears at least, I have never heard any floorstanders new or used in that price range I can really recommend, all of them having rather large deficiencies. Mini-monitors would definitely be my recommendation in that price range, as you can get some good ones, especially if you buy used.

One possible combo of a standmount and a sub for $400 new (before shipping) called the X-Series can be found here (for the sub) http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=subwoofers&brand=57 and here (for the mini-monitors) http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55 . Both of these are sold by AV123.com. The mini-monitors are on backorder until mid-July, but there is a reason, as they are an exceptional design and value. Their designer is somewhat of legend for the small group of audiophiles that know his work.

---Dave

JohnMichael
06-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Check out www.audioadvisor.com for the Athena Technologies Audition AS-F2.2. They sell for $399.95 and are dual 8 inch woofer floor standing speakers. They are efficient. They have received some good reviews.

emack27
06-28-2006, 10:01 AM
For your budget I'de reccomend Polk. Get a pair of their better ones. Tweeter's usually got a nice pair.

guaje
06-28-2006, 11:56 AM
I've got the B&W 600 Series S3, and they sound great!! I recomend them to you.

xcelll
06-29-2006, 09:11 AM
so how about POLK AUDIO R50 Floorstanding Speaker, i sow them 125$ a piece so thats 250 both

Hyfi
06-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Check out www.audioadvisor.com for the Athena Technologies Audition AS-F2.2. They sell for $399.95 and are dual 8 inch woofer floor standing speakers. They are efficient. They have received some good reviews.

I have not heard these yet but last year I bought a pair of their Indoor Outdoor speakers and they were great for $160. More than I thought they would be.

xcelll
06-29-2006, 01:25 PM
my budget might stretch to 400 if i really like what i hear but i would rather it be under 300. thats why i'm aiming for < $150 a speaker . and i'm only buying them in a store or first need to hear them in a store then i can get then online. I live in nyc so if anyone knows any good cheap audio stores in manhattan/brooklyn area.

audio_dude
06-29-2006, 02:35 PM
check out the paradigm mini monitors!

Mr_Speedy
06-29-2006, 10:00 PM
I've heard good things about the DALI Concept 6 speakers. I'm getting a pair around 15th July, along with a NAD C 320BEE amp.

shokhead
06-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Axioms m3's for under 400 or a bit more for some m22's.

jtgofish
06-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Sometimes the answer is right in front of your face.
The Ed Frias designed A.R.com kit is a superb sounding speaker [read the reviews].This sits within your budget but any commercial speaker of equivelent quality would probably cost at least three times as much.I have built two pairs of these for friends and they are delighted with them.
They might be budget priced but they offer true high end refinement that you normaly only find in the likes of Spendor or Proac small monitors.

JT

emack27
07-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Sometimes the answer is right in front of your face.
The Ed Frias designed A.R.com kit is a superb sounding speaker [read the reviews].This sits within your budget but any commercial speaker of equivelent quality would probably cost at least three times as much.I have built two pairs of these for friends and they are delighted with them.
They might be budget priced but they offer true high end refinement that you normaly only find in the likes of Spendor or Proac small monitors.

JT
I would definitely reccomend a DIY kit over manufactured speakers any day even if it is a relatively easy kit to build. Here are just about all the kits you'll want to build: www.madisound.com and www.zalytron.com .
You can find the A R kit noted above at www.madisound.com , the first kit listed uder kit section. http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125043_1594crx.aspx

accastil
07-03-2006, 03:15 PM
at your budget, try looking for bookshelf speakers from B&W600 series, paradigm atom, wharfedale diamond series.