Ah Seen It!!!! ELDORADO!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ah Seen It!!!! ELDORADO!!!!

Worf101
06-26-2006, 05:54 AM
I spent Sunday afternoon helping my guitar player move an organ and upgright Piano into his new house. One of the organs we had to move was a vintage 1956 Hammond B-3 Organ with tone generator AND Leslie Box. I mean for a 50 year old piece of furniture grade instrument this thing was meticulously kept. Not a speck of rust on a single screw. Now that was drool inducing enough but then I noticed walls and walls of record albums all catalogued and index... I followed this crumb trail to a door... The owner appeared, picure a cross between John Lovitts and Don Knotts (I'm serious, you can't make this stuff up). He appears at my elbow and mutters "would you like to see my stereo collection".

I swallowed, expecting Vincent Price to appear... "sure" I murmered. He spun a combination lock (no ****) and opened the door. The first thing that greated me was 30 YES 30 matched pairs of monoblocs. I'm talking stuff from the early days of "Hi Fidelity". I can't even begin to tell you all the gear I saw... but it was all name brand, hi end swag of the highest order. My legs felt weak, my eyes couldn't focus. He was treating me pretty patronizingly untill I mentioned out loud how my Ohm Walsh F's might sound with some of them old MacIntosh Mono's... A huge grin appeared on his face and he muttered (kinda creepily) that "yes you must come over sometime and bring some things to play with"....

Creeped out??? Yeah... Going back HELLL YEAH.. I'm gonna be this guys best friend untill he's 2 steps from the dog track. When his widow wants to clean house I'm gonna be right their with my son's college fund in my hand... I've seen it fellahs..... The Lost Dutchman's Mine, Eldorado... Xanadu.... Ah seen it!!!

Da Worfster

Florian
06-26-2006, 06:00 AM
That is EXACTLY how i felt when i entered my friends house with 8500 records, walls of Audio Research, Krells, Goldmund, Forsell, Conrad Johnson, Jadis, Power Filters etc....

Time to tell your son that Highschool is enough?

;-)

Feanor
06-26-2006, 08:46 AM
... He was treating me pretty patronizingly untill I mentioned out loud how my Ohm Walsh F's might sound with some of them old MacIntosh Mono's... A huge grin appeared on his face and he muttered (kinda creepily) that "yes you must come over sometime and bring some things to play with"....
Da Worfster

Worfster, you've got Ohm F's!! Big nostalgia for me: I sold mine circa 1980 but always regretted it. :sad:

How are they holding up? Ohm can not longer repair them, so they say.

Florian
06-26-2006, 11:16 AM
It rully sucks to have a wonderfull speaker, that noone can repair. Myself and MANY others can relate since they had troubles with Apogee. When they died, they left Thousands of owners of speakers costing tens of thousands to die of foam rot, untensioned and buzzing ribbons. Thanks to Graz in Australia for making replacement ribbons and carrying on the legacy!

topspeed
06-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Pics Worfster.

Now.

Worf101
06-27-2006, 06:18 AM
Worfster, you've got Ohm F's!! Big nostalgia for me: I sold mine circa 1980 but always regretted it. :sad:

How are they holding up? Ohm can not longer repair them, so they say.
The one I went to is out in Buffalo. I had to DRIVE them there and pick them up. But it was worth it, they wouldn't ship. Don't blame em myself. Great speaker but idiosyncratic. You got to set em up jussssst right...

Da Worfster

dean_martin
06-27-2006, 09:32 AM
I spent Sunday afternoon helping my guitar player move an organ and upgright Piano into his new house. One of the organs we had to move was a vintage 1956 Hammond B-3 Organ with tone generator AND Leslie Box. I mean for a 50 year old piece of furniture grade instrument this thing was meticulously kept. Not a speck of rust on a single screw. Da Worfster

Speaking of the Hammond (a 1956 no less), I found this 1956 release at a thrift shop, flea market or yard sale about 10 yrs ago: