Speaker kit. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker kit.

jrhymeammo
06-25-2006, 10:10 PM
So, I dont know anything about building speakers, but this site has got me real curious. I hope to build speakers in my future retirement as a hobby, that's if I'll be able to afford sitting around. So, my first step to this upcoming hobby, I probably need to start with something that is extremely easy. I was wondering if this is a decent start. http://www.mavin.com/index.php?crn=201&rn=366&action=show_detail
I will probably use Kimber Kable KWIK 12 I got laying around for internal wiring.

This company can be a shaddy, how can I check their company info.
At this price, I figured disappointment will not be great, if at all.
Does anyone have any other option I can exercise? I was thinking something that are under $100.

Thanks,
-JRA

kexodusc
06-26-2006, 03:45 AM
Speaker kits under $100 are usually rare. Most DIY-ers already have owned decent speakers and don't want to build a kit that will sound worse than what they already have, so usually you have to spend a bit more to outperforma commercial offering.

I'd avoid this kit like herpes. It doesn't even have a crossover, has a rather cheap looking cabinet, and uses pretty cheap drivers. If they're making money on this speaker kit, that's a good indication this stuff is just too cheap to be worthwhile. The terminal is a good 30 cents, and I bet the tweeter isn't much more. There's much better budget speakers you can build without a huge cabinet later on once you get some experience.

The best starter kit I've heard with cabinets is still the BR-1 Kit from parts express for about $140.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640

It's a real speaker kit, with crossover components, good cabinet, and instructions. I've personally compared it side by side with $400-$500 Boston Acoustics and Paradigm bookshelf models, and it's at least as good those. And it'll wipe the floor with this cheap kit. If you're going to do this, do it right. You'll want a product you're happy to listen to when you're finished with it. Not something that just sits in the back of your garage somewhere.

Florian
06-26-2006, 04:55 AM
There are kits from Audio Note UK that you can build for a let less money that they charge for the glue which hold them.

***- Sorry RGA, but i just couldnt hold myself back. Forgive me.....

To the original poster:\ Are there some Magazines in your area for the DIY Audio Fan? I know a few here in germany, and they have good instructions and blueprints too.

Good luck!

Feanor
06-26-2006, 05:05 AM
So, I dont know anything about building speakers, but this site has got me real curious. I hope to build speakers in my future retirement as a hobby, that's if I'll be able to afford sitting around. So, my first step to this upcoming hobby, I probably need to start with something that is extremely easy. I was wondering if this is a decent start. http://www.mavin.com/index.php?crn=201&rn=366&action=show_detail
I will probably use Kimber Kable KWIK 12 I got laying around for internal wiring.

This company can be a shaddy, how can I check their company info.
At this price, I figured disappointment will not be great, if at all.
Does anyone have any other option I can exercise? I was thinking something that are under $100.

Thanks,
-JRA

Regardless of the business integrity of Mavin, you just aren't going to get a decent pair of 2-way tower speakers for 50 bucks.:frown2:

kexodusc
06-26-2006, 09:18 AM
There are kits from Audio Note UK that you can build for a let less money that they charge for the glue which hold them.

***- Sorry RGA, but i just couldnt hold myself back. Forgive me.....

To be fair to RGA (who I've had my share of battles with), the only kits I know of aren't that bad. The Birch Ply alone costs a good chunk of coin, the Foster/Seas combo of drivers are respectable, and they use quality (IMO excessively expensive) crossover components.

I think one could do better designing their own, but for kits that offer the "Audio Note sound (if that's what you're into), they aren't bad.

As Flo suggested magazines aren't a bad source either - in the USA and Canada today though, the internet has pretty much stolen DIY Magazine's business, so I'm not aware of any, but maybe you could find some. NorthCreek Music Systems, Parts Express, Madisound, are good places too look for kits if you can't build cabinets yourself. If you can, the door opens to far better possibilities.

Feanor
06-26-2006, 10:25 AM
To be fair to RGA (who I've had my share of battles with), the only kits I know of aren't that bad. The Birch Ply alone costs a good chunk of coin, the Foster/Seas combo of drivers are respectable, and they use quality (IMO excessively expensive) crossover components.

I think one could do better designing their own, but for kits that offer the "Audio Note sound (if that's what you're into), they aren't bad.

Since AN designs rely on cabinet resonances, how can a kit builder be assured that they can duplicate the effect? Seems to me that there are too many variables.

kexodusc
06-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Since AN designs rely on cabinet resonances, how can a kit builder be assured that they can duplicate the effect? Seems to me that there are too many variables.

The only kits I've seen offered come pre-cut with pre-approved grades of plywood. You just put it together.
Personally, I think they're a bit overpriced and I'm not a big fan of AN like RGA, but if you wanted to own an AN speaker, from what I'm told they're a step up from the AN AN K's or AN J's, an d close to the basic AN E.... for the money they beat paying retail or even used prices, IMO.

Not something I'd recommend to the aspiring DIY-er, but the price isn't horrible compared to a lot of speakers out there...that's all.

emack27
06-26-2006, 04:19 PM
If you're going to build a speaker kit use these resources http://www.zalytron.com/ and http://www.madisound.com/ .

jrhymeammo
06-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Very cool stuff, thanks much. I bet Mavin kit is as useful and satisfying as 1 piece jigsaw puzzle. I'm not looking to replace my current speakers, but probably wanna listen to them more than once. I should do alot more reaserch beginng with info you guys provided. Seems like cabinet to driver manufacture ratio is about 1:50. I may be better off looking for a shop that will allow people to use tools. That way I can build 2.5 way floorstander. Thanks again.

givendale
07-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Try here

http://www.vaf.com.au