Plasma 42' & 50" nothing in between [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Plasma 42' & 50" nothing in between

The Tahitijack
06-25-2006, 02:13 PM
I just realized that there are a boat load of plasma's at 42" but they jump to 50" with nothing in between.

While LCD screens have been limited to under 42" for several years they have moved up to over 42 and Sony and Samsung offer 46" flat panel LCD screens now. While the 46" is dramaticly larger side by side with the 42" I have read that dead pixals are a major drawback the the LCD.

Two questions
1. Are there any plama screens between 42 and 50"?
2. Are dead pixals on LCD a common problem and what are the other negatives of LCD?

Thanks

edtyct
06-25-2006, 05:40 PM
1. No (except for the occasional 43", which doesn't really count).

2. When LCDs first appeared on the market, the likelihood of finding one with a stuck or dead pixel was a lot greater than it is now. No, it isn't terribly common. The largest negative with LCDs is that they can't reach a convincing black level in subdued room lighting. Night, deep space, and shadows can look grey and foggy rather than truly black on LCD screens when the lights are dim. The best of them can give moderately good plasmas a run for their money in this context. Most come up short. However, LCDs light up (pun intended) when the room isn't dark, holding their own even in a bright, sunny room--something that CRTs can't do half as well. Also, LCD color can be a little more garrish than some people like, particularly the greens. Again, not all sets behave the same way, but the inclination is fairly common. Let's put it this way: LCDs tend to be better for sporting events and programming with lots of bright scenes than for film noir or deep-space sci fi. But, even as I write, I realize that many people will barely blink at an LCD's weaknesses, given their strengths.

edtyct
06-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Edit: I should add that LCDs with LED backlighting, which are just around the corner, will have a broader color gamut than those that rely on a fluorescent bulb.

The Tahitijack
06-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks Ed, you are on my board of trusted advisors.