Going Wireless.....Where Can I Get Some Hardware? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Going Wireless.....Where Can I Get Some Hardware?

ColeJustesen
06-25-2006, 06:29 AM
I just moved into my new house and I am wanting to mount the surround speakers of my setup on the wall. I really don't want to have speaker wire going up the wall and I am a little timid to do any kind of cutting in my walls or drilling. So I thought why not a wireless setup? Could you guys tell me a little about the systems available and any pros/cons? Thanks for any help!

Cole

markw
06-25-2006, 06:40 AM
...that wireless speakers need two components. A transmitter and a receiver with a built in power amp. Both require AC power.

The amp in the receiver will be noisy, low powered and not up to audio standards, even to those of the most budget system on the market.

Even if you DO find a receiver/amp with no speakers, you're back to running wires from the receiver/amp to the speakers anyway.

As for another big consideration, the sound of wireless speakers tend to suck.

There are other considerations, such as noise and interference, that would tend to dissuade most people from considering wireless speakers, but these are the main ones to consider

So, since you're gonna have to run AC for them anyway, why not do it right and just consider having wires run in the first place. Since you indicate it's a nice new house, you may want to consider hiring a pro to do the two wire runs for you. It'll be worth it in the long run.

ColeJustesen
06-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the reply, I was a little worried about underpowering the speakers. I guess I will have to devise something so that mount my speakers on the wall and hide speaker wire at the same time. I appreciate the input!

Cole