Magic Eraser [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magic Eraser

jrhymeammo
06-24-2006, 09:19 PM
How do you guys use Magic Eraser for your Stylis? Do you moisten then simply lower it down with counter weight off? I even hate using a LAST stylus brush, makes me nervous everytime. Or should I just go ahead and buy this http://www.extremephono.com/Stylus_Cleaner.htm

Thanks
-JRA

jrhymeammo
06-25-2006, 01:43 PM
I was thinking that if you take the counter weight off, you would snap the cantilever. I should look for a pair of steady hands, thank goodness for black market.

hifitommy
06-25-2006, 06:44 PM
to take the counterweight off. you just allow the tonearm to be free and set the stylus down on the brush, eraser or gel. it only touches the surface with the force it touches the record with.

with the eraser, you just allow the stylus to set down, them raise it again. same with the gel. with the brush, you set the stylus down and draw the brush toward you. i do this with the volume on so i can hear it.

the eraser is the most effective of them all, and i always follow the eraser with the brush. the stylus comes VERY clean using this method. the gel is too damned expensive.

jrhymeammo
06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks Tommy, it got me really curious after reading your equipment list on AA. i think I will really try it. I should be able to see how dirty my stylus is, since the Eraser is white. If I dont like it then I think I'll finally clean inside of a fridge and my shower.

Peace
-JRA

hifitommy
07-03-2006, 07:20 AM
there is no reason to moisten the eraser. dry is the way to use it. still one of my favorite ways to clean a stylus.

royphil345
07-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the tip hifitommy. Always worry about liquid stylus cleaners weakening any glue that might be holding the diamond in. Although... Nothing bad has ever happened... yet.

jrhymeammo
07-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Under a microscope, I could not believe how dirty my cantilever was. Foreign substance was caked on top and bottom of the cantilever. But now, my canti and stylus is shining brightly.
I prefer Magic Eraser or a store brand to be slightly moist for cantilever, but it works well dry to clean stylus.
Thanks for the tip Tommy. Now, I can bid farewell to expensive stylus cleaner.

emorphien
08-07-2006, 08:17 PM
By Magic Eraser are you guys referring to the Mr. Clean things? I just stumbled across this as I'm looking for an affordable cleaning solution and it sounds like there's a lot of talk of this on the net. I just want to verify before I dunk my expensive (to me at $130) MC cartridge in to a Magic Eraser (which worked wonders on my walls!).

jrhymeammo
08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
By Magic Eraser are you guys referring to the Mr. Clean things? I just stumbled across this as I'm looking for an affordable cleaning solution and it sounds like there's a lot of talk of this on the net. I just want to verify before I dunk my expensive (to me at $130) MC cartridge in to a Magic Eraser (which worked wonders on my walls!).

Yes sir, but you can save money by buying store brand. I get mine from Safeway Grocery store. Works just as well. Unlike HifiTommy, I prefer to use it slightly damp.
From my experience, cleaning vinyl with it should be avoided. It increases background noise SOOOOOOOOOOO much. Maybe I need to experiment more with $1 records. If anyone has had better luck with it, please let us know. Thanks

-JRA

squeegy200
08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I've been using the Stylus treatments and traditional brushes. I've seen this discussion on several other forums and have been curious.

So I went out and bought some today and I'll try it this weekend.

Keep up the great discussions.