Interconnects , $100 range? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interconnects , $100 range?

ninetynine
06-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Any suggestions for interconnects that are in the $100 range or lower? I was considering Kimber Timbre or Tonik. What do you guys suggest?

superpanavision70mm
06-24-2006, 08:02 PM
I have used all sorts and would recommend several. If you are looking for a pair I would certainly suggest looking into AudioQuest, which make a variety for all price ranges. Also, if you want to check out the really sweet BetterCables BlueTruth interconnects, they are in that price range, plus they are really flexible. I also liked the Cobalt Cables, which are even less than $100 last time I checked for interconnects of a reasonable length. I am currently using WHITE ZOMBIE, which I got 3 pair for $150, but they typically would be about $500.

Good luck and happy listening! Best bet is to try a variety until settling on some.

jrhymeammo
06-24-2006, 08:13 PM
I have never played with Kimber Kable ICs, but I am very happy with Alpha Core Micropurl Copper and especially Silver. There is definitely a difference in sound between Copper and Silver. I really love the clarity the Silver offer. Copper is $52 for 0.5m and $85 for the Silver. These are great cables and do not grip da hell outta your RCA terminals like Monsters.
Have you considered other IC powerplayers such as Audioquest?
http://audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=AQICA2%2E5&product_name=Blue%20Racer%20Audio%20Interconnect%2 0Cable

Have fun

-JRA

Fergymunster
06-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Any suggestions for interconnects that are in the $100 range or lower? I was considering Kimber Timbre or Tonik. What do you guys suggest?
It would help to know what length.

Mtbrider
06-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Audio Art Cable IC-3's are $89 for 1m and very good, or the IC-1's are only $45 for the same length.

http://www.audioartcable.com

E-Stat
06-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I would recommend auditioning (preferably in your own system) the DH Labs cables. I found them to offer great bang for your buck.

rw

ninetynine
06-25-2006, 04:33 PM
i'm looking for 1m length, my system is a cambridge azur 640c v2, nad c320bee integrated with b&w dm601 s3 bookshelf speaker and van den hul cs122 speaker wire.

jrhymeammo
06-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Let me get off the topic here. Can you believe Roger Waters tickets cost $200 a piece? I LOVE his solo stuff more than PF(except for TFC), but......... As Superpanavision suggested, Better Cable is well respected around here.

Hey SPV, did you send me an Email?

Fergymunster
06-26-2006, 07:35 AM
i'm looking for 1m length, my system is a cambridge azur 640c v2, nad c320bee integrated with b&w dm601 s3 bookshelf speaker and van den hul cs122 speaker wire.
I would recommend the Audioquest King Cobra.It's on sale at Legacy Audio and Video.com for $127 in 1 meter lengh.

Florian
06-26-2006, 11:31 AM
My vote goes for Audioquest too :-)

And if you ever see some unguarded "Magnan" cable around....take it....and run like hell!!!!!!!

-Flo

teledynepost
06-26-2006, 10:24 PM
they all sound the same

superpanavision70mm
06-27-2006, 01:42 PM
They certainly DO NOT all sound the same....this person only hears them the same either because they are incapable of hearing or recognizing differences or they simply do not have the gear or the gear finely tuned to appreciate the difference.

Florian
06-27-2006, 05:59 PM
They certainly DO NOT all sound the same....this person only hears them the same either because they are incapable of hearing or recognizing differences or they simply do not have the gear or the gear finely tuned to appreciate the difference.

Not long ago, when i said this i was labeld a snob and a Equipmentphile on this site....

Fergymunster
06-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Let me get off the topic here. Can you believe Roger Waters tickets cost $200 a piece? I LOVE his solo stuff more than PF(except for TFC), but......... As Superpanavision suggested, Better Cable is well respected around here.

Hey SPV, did you send me an Email?
Roger Walters?"where just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" or "the lunitic is in the hall" and "just a little pin prick"What a great contribution to man kind,he should be put on trail for heresy.However,he would plead insanity.

jrhymeammo
06-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Roger Walters?"where just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" or "the lunitic is in the hall" and "just a little pin prick"What a great contribution to man kind,he should be put on trail for heresy.However,he would plead insanity.

LOL. That is pretty funny, though I would be highly offended by that comment on my bad days. Other line that gets me is "Yeah, that guy Floyd, isnt he locked up in a looney bin and still writing songs?"

"There is no great genius without a mixture of madness" --Arisotle

Fergymunster
06-29-2006, 07:05 AM
LOL. That is pretty funny, though I would be highly offended by that comment on my bad days. Other line that gets me is "Yeah, that guy Floyd, isnt he locked up in a looney bin and still writing songs?"

"There is no great genius without a mixture of madness" --Arisotle
Hey ammo,Maybe we should discuss this further in the non-topic section.I'm not just knocking PF in general as music has come a long way since the days of Mozart,etc....It also seems alot of the music from the 60's and 70's is drug induced songs and the current music of today is at least "incomprehensible".i.e rock,rap,etc...Just a thought.

Fergymunster
06-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey ammo,Maybe we should discuss this further in the non-topic section.I'm not just knocking PF in general as music has come a long way since the days of Mozart,etc....It also seems alot of the music from the 60's and 70's is drug induced songs and the current music of today is at least "incomprehensible".i.e rock,rap,etc...Just a thought.
I just watched some of motley crew on cable tv in a concert.I can't beleive what I was witnessing.The music is out right aweful and the audience has lost their minds,it's complete mayhem is what it is.

Fergymunster
06-29-2006, 11:07 AM
I just watched some of motley crew on cable tv in a concert.I can't beleive what I was witnessing.The music is out right aweful and the audience has lost their minds,it's complete mayhem is what it is.
Come to think of it,MC is the devil himself and the audience is the out of control fire.

Pat D
06-29-2006, 02:22 PM
they all sound the same

Yeah, I'd have to see proof that 1 or 2 meter interconnects meant for high fidelity use at line level sound different. I've certainly done fine with inexpensive interconnnects.

Phono cables are a little different matter as many phono cartridges are sensitive to capacitance.

likeitloud
06-29-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm still kinda new myself, but I Can't get enough of theses IC/SPEAKER WIRE throw
downs. One of the first treads I ever read was about how much to spend on ic's. Man
it was classic, I think wooch, shokhead, sir terrance and some others were "discussing"
issues. Had to be there I guess. But I did learn 2 things, don't go crazy on ic's and
use optical when poosible, vice toslink. It has served me well, so far. I use ar ic's,
manly because I can drive about 10 minutes and get what I need. The pro series work
well and I did'nt go broke. I borrowed a friends monster componet cable (over $115)
and saw or heard no difference. Use your cash on source upgrades, buy some cd's,
or get into anti-vibration. Good luck.

superpanavision70mm
06-29-2006, 05:21 PM
I guess my summary would be that a $500 cable is not going to make $500 speakers sound like they are $1000+ speakers, but they will make them sound like incredibly good $500 speakers AND sound way better than if you just used cheap $10 cables. I hate to assess a dollar value to that of cables, but what I mean is that $500 cables we are to assume that they are far superior to just $10 cables.

Mr Peabody
06-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Brands of cables are limited in my area but I've had good luck and experience with Transparent ic's and speaker connects. Their basic RCA cable beat a more expensive Audioquest when I compared the two. This comparison was in MY system and according to MY preference. I heard the Transparent better the Audioquest by revealing slightly more detail and definitely better bass control. I did the comparison in both a Krell and an Adcom system.

I compared the same Transparent RCA to an Audio Note costing twice as much. I preferred the AN, it some how sounded more natural. I also found Siltech to be better but it again costed much more than the Transparent. I have found Transparent to be a top contender in it's price point, the ones I'm talking about cost under $80.00. They've recently revamped the line, so I'm not sure what their entry level with a network runs.

FLZapped
06-30-2006, 07:49 AM
I guess my summary would be that a $500 cable is not going to make $500 speakers sound like they are $1000+ speakers, but they will make them sound like incredibly good $500 speakers AND sound way better than if you just used cheap $10 cables. I hate to assess a dollar value to that of cables, but what I mean is that $500 cables we are to assume that they are far superior to just $10 cables.

And that's the problem, we ASSUME, often incorrectly, that because they cost SOOOOO much more that they MUST be better; yet there is absolutely no reliable, repeatable evidence this is the case, which means you've most likely been taken in by clever marketing schemes.

-Bruce
(Assume = Makes an ASS outta U and Me)

musicoverall
06-30-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm still kinda new myself, but I Can't get enough of theses IC/SPEAKER WIRE throw
downs. One of the first treads I ever read was about how much to spend on ic's. Man
it was classic, I think wooch, shokhead, sir terrance and some others were "discussing"
issues. Had to be there I guess. But I did learn 2 things, don't go crazy on ic's and
use optical when poosible, vice toslink. .

Toslink? I'm curious what the theory is behind that vs coax. I use a coax digital interconnect because the toslink connectors were so flimsy I was afraid they lose contact. I heard no sonic differences between ANY 2 digital cables I tried.

Did they say why toslink should be used?

musicoverall
06-30-2006, 09:27 AM
And that's the problem, we ASSUME, often incorrectly, that because they cost SOOOOO much more that they MUST be better; yet there is absolutely no reliable, repeatable evidence this is the case, which means you've most likely been taken in by clever marketing schemes.

-Bruce
(Assume = Makes an ASS outta U and Me)

Does it make a PRES outta U and Me? That doesn't sound so bad! :)

Mr Peabody
06-30-2006, 04:20 PM
The high end shops in my area always told me to use coaxial digital over Toslink whenever possible. I've never tried to see if there is any difference and had to use Toslink because that's all Denon had on the 1600 DVD player I have. I do use coaxial on my CD to DAC. There again the DAC only accepts coaxial. Well, I take that back my DAC only accepts XLR or BNC, I had to get a BNC to RCA adaptor. I think Toslink is better on longer stretches. But it was my understanding that coaxial is the better way to transfer digital. Why, I have no idea. I know if I use coaxial on anything else, the WBT, or locking ends, is the way to go. On coaxial I had some problems occationally and I found it was from the connection loosening. Once I went to a cable with the WBT, no more problems. The Toslink clicks in and I've not had any problems with it.

likeitloud
07-01-2006, 01:18 AM
Musicoverall:Toslink? I'm curious what the theory is behind that vs coax. I use a coax digital interconnect because the toslink connectors were so flimsy I was afraid they lose contact. I heard no sonic differences between ANY 2 digital cables I tried.

Not sue it was one of those guys, but in that thread there was opinions on the flexibility
of the toslink cable, and how fragile it is, verses the build quality of a decent optical
cable. For me, when I upgraded, the old digital toslink lens was compleatly burned,
which being a rookie, surprised me. It was a very cheap cable, that may have been
the problem, but if my source units have a choice, I personnally will use optical
from now on. Like you said, I can't tell a difference either way.

Pioneer VSX1015TX
JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands
XBOX 360 (Just Added)

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen

Fergymunster
07-05-2006, 10:56 AM
We must have scared off Ninetynine

superpanavision70mm
07-05-2006, 02:53 PM
For the longest time I was using the Optical cables b/c I heard that they were better than Coaxial. I never tested them side by side, but just thought it was common knowledge that the optical would perform better. However, after numerous changes to my system over the years I grew tired of just how delicate the optical cable was. So I decided to do an A/B comparison with a Dig. Coax and an Optical of equal price-range. The difference: no immediate difference, althought the Optical seemed a tad faster with the processing, but that's hardly a concern after the first millisecond of listening begins. I then upgraded to a Tara Labs Dig. Coax that blew away all the optical cables that I had in A/B tests. I have thus stayed with the Dig. Coax since then.