Cables and Interconnects, how often do you change them? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cables and Interconnects, how often do you change them?

ninetynine
06-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Do speaker cables or interconnects expire after a long period of time, how often do you need to change them?

superpanavision70mm
06-24-2006, 08:03 PM
If they are made well enough you should not have to change them for quite a long time, however, most people change them when they upgrade.

likeitloud
06-24-2006, 11:58 PM
They should last a long time, with one exception, when I upgraded last month I pulled
out the toslink digital cable for my cd. The lens was totally burned. These were cheap
phillips cables. So even though I upgraded, I use only optical hook-ups. No more digital
cables. Good Luck

Pioneer VSX1015TX
JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub 9738802724
JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands
XBOX 360 (Just Added)

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen:5:

Geoffcin
06-25-2006, 03:45 AM
Do speaker cables or interconnects expire after a long period of time, how often do you need to change them?

I regularly remove/inspect/clean the contacts on my interconnects & speaker cables. Corrosion has a way of sneaking into contacts, and clean ones always sound better.

E-Stat
06-25-2006, 03:07 PM
I regularly remove/inspect/clean the contacts on my interconnects & speaker cables. Corrosion has a way of sneaking into contacts, and clean ones always sound better.
Amen to that. I've been using various Caig products since the 70s. I still have some of the original Cramolin from way back.

Back to the original question, cables should last decades if cared for and cleaned regularly. I have had more than one pair of bright shiny copper speaker cables, however, that oxidized over time turning into a greenish black appearance. Time to pitch!

rw

ninetynine
06-25-2006, 04:32 PM
great to hear this! I heard otherwise regarding speaker wireing , is it true that they go bad after a while?