I dont know much about speakers , so someone help me out [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I dont know much about speakers , so someone help me out

xcelll
06-24-2006, 02:47 PM
my computer speakers died so i decided to just get a couple of audio speakers this time for my pc. i have a tight budget 200 - 300 so i wanted to get JBL Control Extreme 1x http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=18828 and AUDIO SOURCE Stereo Power Amplifier Amp 100 http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4021738 . Would this set up work? i can use that as computer speakers and how bad/good would that sound? also will i be able to connect a base later to that amp?

soundgarden877
06-24-2006, 03:34 PM
it would sound decent but make you when you select your speakers and amp(s) that the wattage, impedance and frequence range is the same and to hook it up make sure that you get a y cable one end needed to be looking like a headphone connector at one end and rca cable at the other to connect the amp to the computer, the headphone connector goes into your computer. I have some personal experiance in this type of setup.

xcelll
06-24-2006, 03:47 PM
the speakers are 6ohm and the amp is 8 is that a problem ? besides that are the speakers and amp compatible?

N. Abstentia
06-24-2006, 08:59 PM
I'd take these over any JBL:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03043&id=1138085354138

And at half the price to boot.

Mr_Speedy
06-24-2006, 11:04 PM
the speakers are 6ohm and the amp is 8 is that a problem ? besides that are the speakers and amp compatible?

Amplifiers can usually handle speakers with an impendance of down to 4 ohms, so your 6 ohm speakers wont be a problem for any amp.
P.S. The JBL speakers you intend to buy don't have any deep bass. They only go down to 80Hz. I personally wouldn't buy anything that doesn't go under 60Hz. However if you intend to get a subwoofer, they would be just fine.
As far as how the setup will sound... Depends on the sound card you have. If you intend to use the built in sound card on your motherboard, don't expect HiFi sound. It would be a real shame if you spent that money on a quality amp, quality speakers, only to loose quality at the source. You might want to try something from the Soundblaster X-Fi range or the Audigy 2 range. (Ask someone else about which sound card to buy, I don't have that much experience with them). However if you don't want to speand a lot of money on a high end sound card, try the Sound Blaster Live 24 bit card, it should sound better than any "built in" sound card (I have one myself). Anyway, ask around, see what other people think.

audio_dude
06-25-2006, 06:27 AM
how about checking out the paradigm atoms!!!
i have a pair and they have clean bass down to 50htz
ya, that amp is probably a good choice

and as for JBL:

J unkie
B ut
L oud

xcelll
06-25-2006, 08:16 AM
i have an audigy 2zs. also will i be able to connect a sub to that amp later? doesnt it only have 2 channels and only 65watt each .

xcelll
06-25-2006, 08:26 AM
does anyone else second the insignia speakers? i really dont know much about this so i need help. and is the amp strong enogh or will i need something stronger for them?

bubbagump
06-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I bought a pair yesterday and listened to them off and on for a couple hours. Since they have bananna plugs, it was easy to swap out and listen side by side with my Legacy Audio Studio-i's and Atoms. The Insignias sound a little warm (but not unpleasantly so) and acoustic guitar sounds more realistic with the Studio-i's and Atoms. There's also a subtle hollowness to the sound compared to the others but I have to say, the differences weren't dramatic. The Insignia's are shockingly good at this price point and even compared to speakers costing many times what the Insignia's do. This should be a wake up call for anyone that thinks they have to spend hundreds or thousands to get a good pair of speakers. Even at full price, they're still a good buy. At sales prices of about 35 bucks, they're a major league bargain. At this price point, and as computer speakers in the near field, nothing I know of will touch them. Regardless, if the Atoms or Titans are in your budget, I'd listen to those first.

xcelll
06-25-2006, 03:38 PM
i just got the amp and the speakers ,(insignia) and they sound pretty dam good to my audio virgin ears.

Mr_Speedy
06-25-2006, 09:01 PM
i have an audigy 2zs. also will i be able to connect a sub to that amp later? doesnt it only have 2 channels and only 65watt each .

Around 95% of subwoofers (for home use, not car audio) have a built in amplifier (active subwoofers). So all you have to do is connect the subwoofer directly to your sound card.