Who else likes Trance music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who else likes Trance music

Wireworm5
06-24-2006, 10:42 AM
I like listening to Trance music occasionally. If its a good tune then in my mind I have this picture of being on a train or subway moving fast and watching objects through the window pass by. Or sometimes I am driving a convertable down the highway and watch the center line pass by like dots.In anycase it gives me the sense of motion and I am traveling to a distant destination on a trip.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, its music very similiar to Autobaun by Kraftwerk. It's mechanical and repetitious sounding, but can be quite creative.
Paul Van Dyke has stuff I like and would be interested in knowing other artists with similar style. Thanks

nobody
06-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is really trance, not ambient, although the part 2 double disc set is ambient. If you haven't heard that one, absolutely give it a listen.

Dusty Chalk
06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Shpongle, Are You Shpongled? and Tales of the Inexpressible
L.S.G., Into Deep and The Black Album
some of Perfecto's work (Paul Oakenfold)

JoeE SP9
06-26-2006, 06:46 AM
Have you tried John Digweed, Sander Kleinenberg, Dave Seaman, Juan Sanchez or Deep Dish? I don't know if you could call all of them trance but if you like Paul VanDyke you might like these other guys also.:cool:

Feanor
06-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I like listening to Trance music occasionally. If its a good tune then in my mind I have this picture of being on a train or subway moving fast and watching objects through the window pass by. Or sometimes I am driving a convertable down the highway and watch the center line pass by like dots.In anycase it gives me the sense of motion and I am traveling to a distant destination on a trip.
For those who don't know what I'm talking about, its music very similiar to Autobaun by Kraftwerk. It's mechanical and repetitious sounding, but can be quite creative.
Paul Van Dyke has stuff I like and would be interested in knowing other artists with similar style. Thanks

What the he!! is "Trance"????? :confused5:

Woochifer
06-26-2006, 12:02 PM
I got hooked into trance when someone recommended that I check out some of Paul Oakenfold's compilations in the mid-90s. With trance, it's not necessarily the music itself, but how the DJ sequences and mixes different songs together. The compilation CDs give a glimpse of how trance does its thing, but seeing a world class DJ masterfully working the decks and totally controlling the floor at a night club can be an almost transcendent experience. The first couple of times I saw Oakie mixing in a club setting are akin to an out-of-body experience! One time he was mixing for over five hours straight, and I don't think I left the floor once -- it was that intense.

Other DJs that I recall from trance's heyday include Sasha, Sandra Collins, Christopher Lawrence, and one of my local favorites, Jerry Bonham. Lot of great stuff can now be found in the bargain used CD bins because these compilations get churned out so quickly and trance is not quite as huge as it was five or so years ago. Look for some of the early Global Underground mix compilations.

Lately, I've gotten more into deep house and nu-jazz/downtempo. I guess my raving days are behind me!

JoeE SP9
06-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Hey Woochifer, what do you think of Groove Collective, The New Deal or Brooklyn Funk Essentials?:cool:

Woochifer
06-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey Woochifer, what do you think of Groove Collective, The New Deal or Brooklyn Funk Essentials?:cool:

Love Groove Collective -- got their We The People and Declassified CDs. I've picked up on some Brooklyn Funk Essentials songs on various nu-jazz/acid jazz collections. I noticed that both of those groups have albums released on the Shanachie Records label. That label also releases the albums for another of my favorite bands along these lines, Chicago-based Liquid Soul. They're an amazing live band with a constantly evolving sound (they used to play a Sunday night residency in Chicago, and it often made for some wildly adventurous explorations -- I heard that they've started doing a weekly residency again, well worth checking into if you're visiting the Windy City).

I'm not familiar with The New Deal.

Some of the current artists in this genre that I play a lot include Jazzanova, St. Germain, Kyoto Jazz Massive, Kevin Yost, Llorca, Koop, Kruder & Dorfmeister, and Soulstice. San Francisco-based OM Records is well worth checking out as well, if you're looking for deep house with some jazzy overlays.

Going back a decade, some of the artists I had on heavy play from the acid jazz heyday included Brand New Heavies, Incognito, Count Basic, Solsonics, and a slew of local bands in the Bay Area (one of the strongest acid jazz scenes was in San Francisco) like the Broun Fellinis, Alphabet Soup, Vinyl, Slide Five, Anibide, Charlie Hunter (and his side project T.J. Kirk), Mingus Amungus, and Papa's Culture.

dean_martin
06-27-2006, 07:37 AM

I like Kraftwerk. When I listen to Kraftwerk, I inevitably end up with Young American Primitive s/t. It's great for late night driving, either figuratively as you describe or literally. Last time I checked, this album was still out of print, but it's worth the effort if you can track it down. I've seen a few tracks from this album show up on trance/ambient/techno comps and as covers by others. Look it up on your favorite music site. Amazon may not be that deep, but it's convenient. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002HMKVS/qid=1151421955/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-0142306-7937570?n=5174

If interested, I'll burn a copy (or copies). I haven't contributed to the comp sharing around here even though I've received some nice comps and copies because I'm always a step behind the regs it seems. This might be my chance to contribute.

Wireworm5
06-27-2006, 08:13 AM
I am always interested in comps, I've picked up some pretty good tunes from other members that I wouldn' have been exposed to.
I began listening to electronic new age in 81, Kraftwerk was unique and cool music at this time. But I had alot of Kraftwerk on my hard drive and I've gotten tired of it. I still play Autobaun occasionally as it still a great album.
I am mostly a Tangerine Dream fan but my taste in electronic music has evolved to Trance or what I call trip music. However there isn't alot of this type of music around that I am aware of. Klause Shulze 'X' remastered edition has become my favorite electronic album and I think its a masterpiece. I want to write my own electronic music based on this style but I lack the discipline to sit and try and compose on my synth. and computer.
I will look for the album suggested above. I am not interested in downloading as I want a good recording. Mp3 lack resolution and I need good resolutio to get my audiophile fix.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. :)

dean_martin
06-27-2006, 08:43 AM
In the mid 90s I picked up a video called Planetary Traveler. It had a soundtrack by someone affiliated with Tangerine Dream which was kinda trippy. I let a friend of mine borrow it. This guy was heavily into Scorn. Not only did he return my original video, but he made me a copy with his own soundtrack mix from some of his favorite Scorn tracks. Anyhow, your post reminded me of that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157252152X/ref=pd_bbs_null_1/104-0142306-7937570?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

Mike
06-27-2006, 09:25 AM
I am mostly a Tangerine Dream fan but my taste in electronic music has evolved to Trance or what I call trip music. However there isn't alot of this type of music around that I am aware of.

I like Kraftwerk and T Dream but would never consider them trance, maybe they are the godfathers of trance, I don't know, but trance for me is more about bpm and the mixing. Trance has maybe had its day now unless you still do the clubs, but there's still plenty of sounds and advocates about. Try anything from Oakenfold, Deep Dish, Euphoria to get your trance fix or like Woochifer says check the used bins you'll find tons of trance comps.

My own personal favouritea which I often come back to for a late night drive is Sasha and Digweed - Northern Exposure, a 2 disc collection, great mixing, production, it's fast it's slow, it's a complete 2 hour trance experience in one go.

Also try BT- ESCM, or Chicane - Behind the Sun

Cheers
Mike

dean_martin
06-27-2006, 09:40 AM
My own personal favouritea which I often come back to for a late night drive is Sasha and Digweed - Northern Exposure, a 2 disc collection, great mixing, production, it's fast it's slow, it's a complete 2 hour trance experience in one go.

Also try BT- ESCM, or Chicane - Behind the Sun

Cheers
Mike
Hey Mike -
I think one of the Northern Exposure cds has "These Waves" from Young American Primitive's s/t album I mentioned above.

Mike
06-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey Mike -
I think one of the Northern Exposure cds has "These Waves" from Young American Primitive's s/t album I mentioned above.

Well if it's as good as you say there's no wonder Sasha and Digweed used it. Actually looking on Amazon I didn't realise they had so many Northern Exposure albums out, the one I like is Northern Exposure - Expeditions, but I guess they are all good. I'll dig it out tonight and give it another listen.

Cheers
Mike

Dusty Chalk
06-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Sweet! Another Klaus Schulze fan. I have >100 CD's by him. Indeed, X is one of my favourites as well. I also enjoy the Body Love soundtracks (Vol. 1 & 2) and Mirage is definitely proto-trance.

And TaDream! One of my top three favourite bands/artists/acts ever. Tangram and Ricochet in particular, contain many proto-trance elements.

On a completely unrelated note: I like New Deal a lot. Have you heard of Lake Trout? I dig them both, but we're definitely straying into non-trance territory here.

nobody
06-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Anybody else like Plastikman?

Not really sure where'd he fit in with the chaos of subgenres of electronic music, but I've really liked what I've heard of him.

JoeE SP9
06-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Love Groove Collective -- got their We The People and Declassified CDs. I've picked up on some Brooklyn Funk Essentials songs on various nu-jazz/acid jazz collections. I noticed that both of those groups have albums released on the Shanachie Records label. That label also releases the albums for another of my favorite bands along these lines, Chicago-based Liquid Soul. They're an amazing live band with a constantly evolving sound (they used to play a Sunday night residency in Chicago, and it often made for some wildly adventurous explorations -- I heard that they've started doing a weekly residency again, well worth checking into if you're visiting the Windy City).

I'm not familiar with The New Deal.

Some of the current artists in this genre that I play a lot include Jazzanova, St. Germain, Kyoto Jazz Massive, Kevin Yost, Llorca, Koop, Kruder & Dorfmeister, and Soulstice. San Francisco-based OM Records is well worth checking out as well, if you're looking for deep house with some jazzy overlays.

Going back a decade, some of the artists I had on heavy play from the acid jazz heyday included Brand New Heavies, Incognito, Count Basic, Solsonics, and a slew of local bands in the Bay Area (one of the strongest acid jazz scenes was in San Francisco) like the Broun Fellinis, Alphabet Soup, Vinyl, Slide Five, Anibide, Charlie Hunter (and his side project T.J. Kirk), Mingus Amungus, and Papa's Culture.

I saw The New Deal at the Berks Music Festival In VT. several years ago. They came on late saturday night when the crowd was heavily tranquilized with various substances. Within 10 minutes the crowd was on its feet and stayed that way for their entire set. I highly recommend their CD titled The New Deal. There is a song on it titled I'm Calling. It is the greatest you're fired song I've ever heard. I'm going to check out the artists you mentioned that I haven't heard. Thanks for the 411.:cool:

audio amateur
04-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Although I haven't heard a huge amount of trance, my personal favorite is Xpander by Sasha. Check out the radio edit. Apparently one of the best ever. Some people say it's progressive trance, but we're not being picky here.

bobsticks
05-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Anybody else like Plastikman?

Not really sure where'd he fit in with the chaos of subgenres of electronic music, but I've really liked what I've heard of him.

I'm diggin' him the most. Problem is that I'm basically getting sick of the same old rock/hip-hop/r&b bullsh*t. You know there's just this big upsurge from a new style coming out of Europe but I can't find any. I wish the regular members of this board were more helpful. Mebbe someone new will come along---a knight in shining armor coming to my emotional rescue and to lead me to the musical promised land....

filecat13
06-07-2008, 09:24 AM
In answer to the OP: I like trance.

It plays pretty much all day in my office, and I've converted my executive assistant to it. I just get so much more work done in that atmosphere.

Recent favorites are mixes from DJ Serhan out of Istanbul and the dance/trance stylings of Suzy Solar from Florida.

filecat13
06-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Okay, here's a link. I'll get the other in a minute.

http://www.suzysolar.com/

filecat13
06-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Hmm. New site, still under construction.

http://www.djserhan.com/

bobsticks
06-07-2008, 04:55 PM
For Trance I like Matt Darey whos down in Miami 'bout now. http://www.trancef.com/paul-oakenfold/nocturnal-142.2008-04-27.html, but reall I'm a little more old-school. If it's DJ's yr talkin' Razormaid and Blake Baxter will always be tops in my book.

Okay, here's a link. I'll get the other in a minute.

http://www.suzysolar.com/

I think I'm in love. No, I'm sure of it.