toshiba closed captions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : toshiba closed captions

tonydsmith
06-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I am on my second brand new toshiba LCD TV and I have had the same problem with both units. The closed captions come on periodically even though they are off in the closed caption menu. I am using an aerial and not cable. I have rebooted both TV's. reset the remotes and still they come on. It is weird but I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

edtyct
06-24-2006, 05:09 AM
The TV probably has closed captioning on mute, which means that whenever you push the "mute" button, closed captioning will appear, thereby ensuring that you won't miss any dialogue if you're on the phone or otherwise engaged. It also may mean that closed captioning will appear whenever the audio drops out, even if you didn't actively choose for it to do so. Since, as you say, your broadcasts come via antenna, some of your stations may suffer from interruptions to the audio because of poor reception. If your tuner has a numerical read-out of signal strength, you may well find that your periodic closed captioning derives from audio dropouts due to weak signals OTA. Without moving your antenna, or placing a rotor on it, you'll probably keep having this problem.

tonydsmith
06-24-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm afraid that this issue doesn't fall under those parameters. The captions come on and go off whenever the mood grabs them. We are on a ravine in the city with premium signal reception. In fact once on, if the mute button is selected, quite often the captions will go off. They seem to lead a life of their own independent of reason! I found someone else on line yesterday, also on their second new Toshiba, also with the same recurring problem.
I have lived here for over ten years, had Sony's and Samsungs all the recent ones with closed captions and none with this unique feature. We can select one of the obsure caption languages and the problem goes away (because no one is broadcasting in those languages in our area). However this is a ridiculous. The newer manual on the replacemet set hints at problems with the captions, but more about not being able to receive them rather than getting them when you don't want them.
So re the mute point, I'm afraid that doesn't trigger the appearance of the captions. It has to be either a software glitch, a defective component (used in last years model too), or a million to one coincidence that should motivate me to buy a lottery ticket!
Thanks for responding though!

edtyct
06-25-2006, 03:26 AM
What a shame. I guess you live with it, try one more Toshiba, or choose another brand. If you chanced into a million to one coincidence, you've probably used up your quota. The lottery would have been a better win. I'm still curious, however, about the source of the problem. If you conncect to a cable or satellite source, does the problem still occur? How did the other online victim get his reception?