Did it make the cut? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did it make the cut?

Snowbunny
06-23-2006, 02:49 PM
This is just a thread to amuse myself on slow Friday afternoons.

Here are the CD's on my desk for the week of June 18-24

Neil Diamond - 12 Songs
Lisa Germano - Geek the Girl
Chris Isaak - Heart Shaped World
Tori Amos - Scarlett's Walk
Guster - Keep it Together
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Hawksley Workman - Treeful of Starlings
Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn
Cat Power - The Covers Record
Jim Bryson - the north side benches
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

and after a week of listening...

On The Cusp:

Neil Diamond - 12 Songs -
Jim Bryson - the north side benches - Poor recording ruins a good album.

Cut From The Collection:

Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn

Experimental noodling that I had hoped would hit me the same way that Broken Social Scene did, but it just irritates me.

As does this description on their webpage:

Do Make Say Think have fashioned a fourth full-length album of tremendous beauty and depth, more loosely woven than previous records and played with careful, often wistful restraint. The songs on Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn are eerie and iridescent, composed and captured with mesmerising attention to detail, guided by the band's most intricate and intimate guitar passages to date. Many of the songs feature a newfound non-linearity in compositional structure that once again raises the DMST bar for imbuing instrumental rock with heartrending - yes, even hymnal - narrative ideas. More than any previous effort by the band, this is an album that yearns to be listened to as a whole, or at least in the triptychs defined by the 3-sided vinyl edition.

Also cut:
Guster - Keep It Together

Unfortunately, they don't keep it together for the entire CD. One or two good songs amongst some crud.

That's all. Move along now.

ForeverAutumn
06-23-2006, 03:15 PM
What happened to Jim Bryson? Thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna pull that one off the shelf for weekend listening. That's a good disk.

Snowbunny
06-27-2006, 02:24 PM
This week - June 26-30

Juliana Hatfield - Only Everything
Cat Power - Myra Lee
Elliot Brood - Tin Type
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Joe Henry - Scar
Johnny Cash - Solitary Man

Stone
06-28-2006, 09:52 AM
This week - June 26-30

Cat Power - Myra Lee
Elliot Brood - Tin Type
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Joe Henry - Scar

Are all of these part of the "cut or keep" game? I take it that Rubber Soul was a keeper last week...

ForeverAutumn
06-28-2006, 10:04 AM
This week - June 26-30

Cat Power - Myra Lee
Elliot Brood - Tin Type
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Joe Henry - Scar

Tell me more about that Elliot Brood disk. I tend to like the bands that Six Shooter signs. I've only heard Elliot Brood once, on our local morning show. It sounded like the singer was just getting over a case of larangitis (I know it's spelled wrong, but I'm to lazy to look it up), or does he always sound like that?

Snowbunny
06-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Are all of these part of the "cut or keep" game? I take it that Rubber Soul was a keeper last week...

Yes, Rubber Soul is definitely a keeper. I never owned it in the day so I was shocked to discover that along with all the songs I knew so well were some others that I didn't know, but now love.

Among others, was the one that Sloshy put on a comp, "Girl". It never got airplay here! I suspect the songs they didn't play must have been over the 2 minute song length limit. :crazy: