Yes once again takes our $ big time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yes once again takes our $ big time

Dave_G
01-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Yes is doing some gigs in April and May here this year to celebrate their 35th anniversary.

I just looked at seats and ticket prices.

$79 bucks each.

I can't afford that.

I hate it, I want to see my favorites again, but I simply cannot afford that price point anymore.

It's really gotten out of hand, I guess. But it probably costs a fortune to tour these days with a big production.

Plus also recently they have re-re-re-re-reissued/remastered their cd's, another scam.

And their dvd's, except 1 of them, suck.

This old Yesfan is really getting pushed out of the dedicated fanbase of old.

Seems to me that Yes is trying to fatten their retirement funds 1 more time...I guess I can't blame them, but 80 bucks for 1 ticket is real high.

Dave

jasn
01-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Just curious Dave, but which DVD are you saying doesn't suck? I have the House of Blues one, and don't think its too bad.

Troy
01-30-2004, 08:13 AM
So, show them you're annoyed by not buying an $80 ticket.

If the sales are sluggish, they will get the message.

And who the hell wants to see them do a ludicrous lounge version of Roundabout?

Yeah, I thought the "House of Yes" DVD was good. Is it that one recorded at the Shoreline Amphitheater that you think is the one keeper?

Dave_G
01-30-2004, 09:00 AM
House of Yes is pretty good, it's the Ladder tour, but there is a bunch of those dvd's that are defective out there. They don't play.

Keys to Ascension is great musically but they ruin it with the artsy fartsy stuff added. But I can still enjoy it.

Yessymphonic live is real good, if you can take Yes with an orchestra.

But ya, the best is the ABWH gig recorded at Shoreline. Darn near impossible to find on dvd anymore, Ebay gets about $100 and up for that dvd, it's way out of print.

The Yes in Phildelphia, Yessongs, QPR, and 1 other one are horrible, horrible.

Guess I will not see them this year, too rich for my blood.

Unless I win the lottery.

Dave

newtrix1
01-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Sorry about your predicament Dave, I've passed on several big name tours because I felt the cost was beyond reasonable. Just pop that good Yes dvd in the night of the show, pour yourself a cold beer (that didn't cost over $4) and enjoy! ;)

By the way, I was recently looking at Yes' Keys To Ascention 2 and Keystudio releases (2 albums from their catalogue which I've never picked up). You (or anyone) have a rec/preference on these? Thanks

jasn
01-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Dave, would you please post the actual title of the Shoreline show? There are so many Yes DVD shows its hard to figure out which is which

thx

Troy
01-30-2004, 09:39 AM
By the way, I was recently looking at Yes' Keys To Ascention 2 and Keystudio releases (2 albums from their catalogue which I've never picked up). You (or anyone) have a rec/preference on these? Thanks

Welcome newtrix.

Pretty good live stuff on the 2 "Keys to Ascension" sets. Interesting song selection like "Awaken" and "Turn of the Century' that don't appear on live albums very often. Both Keys releases have a bit of studio stuff on them and "Keystudio" compiles those songs in one place.

These studio tracks are actually quite good, especially when compared to the other Yes studion releases of the last 15 years.

Dave_G
01-30-2004, 09:39 AM
The dvd is called "An Evening of Yesmusic Plus" and is Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe. It's not a "Yes" title per se but is killer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305075387/qid=1075484247/sr=1-24/ref=sr_1_24/102-4509322-2135337?v=glance&s=dvd

Newtrix, KTA2 and Keysstudio are about the same, KTA2 has some decent stuff and Keysstudio is remixes and/or outtakes which is weak stuff.

I'd go for KTA2 if I were you, but there are lots more way better yes titles to get unless you have all the other stuff already.

Dave

Zomby
01-30-2004, 09:40 AM
We live in a world of experiences. It may seem expensive, but go to any pro sports event, broadway show, good symphony, etc. and you will find similar prices. A good dinner will easily cost you $75-$100 each for several hours of entertainment.

Rent a boat or jet ski for a couple of hours? $75-$100

Gentlemans club? Easily that.

Why should a Yes concert be any different?

Zomby

Troy
01-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Gentlemans club? Easily that.

Why should a Yes concert be any different?

Because Steve Howe doesn't do lap-dances.

jasn
01-30-2004, 09:59 AM
Because Steve Howe doesn't do lap-dances.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Thank God for that, cause thats not something I'd want to see.

Troy
01-30-2004, 10:02 AM
Thank God for that, cause thats not something I'd want to see.

Yeah, he could rub that giant fleshy facial mole on your . . . oh, never mind.

Dave_G
01-30-2004, 10:31 AM
I think he got that nasty thing removed.

Dave

Troy
01-30-2004, 11:12 AM
I think he got that nasty thing removed.

Bet it woulda fetched big bucks on ebay.

BarryL
01-30-2004, 12:03 PM

I agree with Troy. They snuck out both of those Keys to Ascention albums as if they were outtakes or something. That was just bad marketing in my opinion.

Your question implies that you have Keys To Ascention 1. If you do, then pick up Keys 2 and forget Keystudio because all of the tracks are repeats of the studio tracks on the Keys to Ascention disks. These tracks aren't the best they ever did, but they're head over heals better than almost anything else since 90125 with the exception of Talk.

newtrix1
01-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Partially because I'd prefer to check out some quality new material (vs. more live stuff), and partially because it was cheaper :) .

tentoze
01-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Yes is doing some gigs in April and May here this year to celebrate their 35th anniversary.

I just looked at seats and ticket prices.

$79 bucks each.

I can't afford that.

Dave
Not to sound too simplistic, but unless you pull the money out of yr pocket and let go of it, they ain't going to get a nickel out of you.