Guess what I'm listening to? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I'm listening to?

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
06-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Just hooked up a pair of 9 year old Signet SL60's monitors on lead-filled Target stands to a 13 year old Sony boom box with even more ancient Monster Powerline 2 speaker cables. And I'm enjoying it!? Must be the music - Roy Gaines - 'cause there ain't nothin' special about this system.

topspeed
06-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Does the SL60 have those funky tweeters that the SL100 used to have? IIRC, they fired rearward into a concave reflection thingie. It was kind of like the Bose Direct/Reflecting idea, just in a more controlled manner.

FWIW, I enjoy my 20yr old Missions on a daily basis :)

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
06-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Nope, just a 2/way. Tweeter and mid-bass. My main rig is a little more up to speed on the technology front.

Resident Loser
06-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Just hooked up a pair of 9 year old Signet SL60's monitors on lead-filled Target stands to a 13 year old Sony boom box with even more ancient Monster Powerline 2 speaker cables. And I'm enjoying it!? Must be the music - Roy Gaines - 'cause there ain't nothin' special about this system.

...gee, where have I heard that before?

Sorta' OT...I'd rather listen to my old GE mono AM/FM e/w it's full-range 2.5 in. driver than the stock/standard internet cr@p...

jimHJJ(...good listening...)

thepogue
06-26-2006, 03:43 PM
listening to some ole gear....both are refreshin'...lol

Peace and nice to see ya'll

Pogue

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
06-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Same to you!

topspeed
06-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Pogue!

Good to see ya brudda!

audio_dude
06-27-2006, 11:49 AM
who cares if its old!!! my stereo is a 70's sony tuner, and a vintage sansui of the same time period

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
06-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Typo: The Signet's are SL 260's, not SL 60's.

audio_dude: I'm aware that people enjoy vintage gear. My post wasn't a commentary about the use of such gear, instead I was just surprized that A>. I even bothered to hook it up. B>. How much I enjoyed music played through this modest system. Nothing more.

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Just yanked the Sony boombox out of the loop. The heavy Monster speaker cables were shorting out on the plastic spring loaded connectors.So I put in my '80's NAD 7130 receiver and 1st generation Sony spl-70 CDP connecting them with Silverline Audio [copper] patch cords. Actually, it sounded worse than the boombox but both components have been on the shelf for more than a decade and seems to be sounding a little less harsh after a few hours of spinning.

thepogue
07-14-2006, 03:16 AM
Mike you cut me up!......BTW speaking for older equipment....I'm picking up and old Sansui G-8000 which has been fluffed and buffed (clean pods and all) for 200 bucks...just for a "C" system. Also a friend of mine is thinking about a Bottle Head pre and amp...one of the lower end jobs....any suggestions for an alternitve?

Once again geart to see you guys.

Pogue

Florian
07-14-2006, 03:20 AM
Hehe my speakers are 19 years old! And there is nothing i would rather have ;-)

-Flo

Grandpaw
07-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Mike you cut me up!......BTW speaking for older equipment....I'm picking up and old Sansui G-8000 which has been fluffed and buffed (clean pods and all) for 200 bucks...just for a "C" system. Also a friend of mine is thinking about a Bottle Head pre and amp...one of the lower end jobs....any suggestions for an alternitve?

Pogue

I have some old equipment myself.... This fluffed and buffed thing sounds like something I need to check out, Jeff

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
07-14-2006, 04:59 AM

Happy to entertain! The Ella kit has gotten good reviews. Is your friend interested in a push-pull or single-ended amp?

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_ella.htm

MikE

thepogue
07-14-2006, 06:11 AM
i'm really not sure...he's running ML SL3....so i dont know what would fit for him. Peace, Pogue

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
07-14-2006, 06:19 AM
If he's running Martin-Logan's then he definately ain't looking into a SET! Those 'stats are power hogs and he needs a muscle PP amp for sure. I thought the Bottlehead kits were SET [or low power PP] only, not sure. I once brought some small panels home for an audition and my 40wpc tube amp could barely get any sound out of them. Small combo jazz had a beguiling presentation.