So has anyone else been watching this "band reunion" deal on VH1? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So has anyone else been watching this "band reunion" deal on VH1?

Jefferson
01-30-2004, 07:14 AM
It's pretty interesting really, so far I've caught the episodes dealing with A Flock of Seagulls , Frankie Goes to Hollywood and The Alarm .

Now none of these bands ever did much for me but the stories behind their careers, how the broke up ect, is interesting.

The story of The Alarm I found intriguing due to how they broke up plus the fact that they still take themselves seriously even tho they were nothing but an over hyped, watered down copy of U2.

I've never known much about Frankie Goes to Hollywood , their sound or whatever was never my bag. I'll say this though,and anyone who has seen the episode will know what I mean , the live video clip they show at the end there is embarassing to say the least.

Jim Clark
01-30-2004, 07:21 AM
No, never seen it. When is it on? I catch the comments about all of the shows at the Electroculture forums and I never remember to find out when it's on.

Dissing The Alarm? For shame.

Frankie Say: We ROOL!

jc

Jefferson
01-30-2004, 07:31 AM
No, never seen it. When is it on? I catch the comments about all of the shows at the Electroculture forums and I never remember to find out when it's on.

Dissing The Alarm? For shame.

Frankie Say: We ROOL!

jc

Here ya go Jim. http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/bands_reunited/series.jhtml

Their re-running all the episodes so you'll just have to catch the Frankie one. It'd be interesting to see if after viewing the clip I've mentioned, if you could still say they "Rooled". :D

jasn
01-30-2004, 07:38 AM
I've been hearing about this too, and was wondering about it.

But VH-1 has gotten so putrid lately with these nostalgic segments that are nothing more than an excuse to showcase the new corporate talents, both in music and TV, that I'd given up on them. Who wants to watch the costars from Ed patronize about how important some 80's rock band was? Like they're experts?

Maybe I'll give them another shot on this format though...

Dave_G
01-30-2004, 07:52 AM
I saw them years ago and they were bizarre live.

Basically it's a dancing concert, they allowed lots of fans to get up on the stage and dance with them, pretty weird.

Plus they showed a lot of homosexual act pictures behind them during the gig.

Needless to say that part didn't appeal to me.

It was fun, though, and it was free too.

Dave

Jim Clark
01-30-2004, 08:12 AM
I saw them years ago and they were bizarre live.

Basically it's a dancing concert, they allowed lots of fans to get up on the stage and dance with them, pretty weird.

Plus they showed a lot of homosexual act pictures behind them during the gig.

Needless to say that part didn't appeal to me.

It was fun, though, and it was free too.

Dave

Oddly enough they never made it to Kansas! Pretty sure that Holly Johnson is HIV positive and has been for a while and I think I recall that Paul Rutherford (here for the smell of it) may be HIV positve as well but I could just as easily be wrong on that one. Guess I'll have to watch the show.

I remember a KC Pet Shop Boys show where Tennant and Lowe were dressed up in chaps and riding on a giant inflatable pecker. Could have done without that. Never been to a Soft Cell show and I don't even want to think about the visuals you'd encounter there.

jc

nobody
01-30-2004, 08:27 AM
I've seen a few of them so far: Flock of Seaguls, Romeo Void, and Kajagoogoo. Kajagoogoo was really funny, I thought. Seems like they were pretty much a bar band, picked up the singer, who got them a record deal and made them hugely popular, then decided he wasn't the right direction for the band to go and proceeded to fall off the face of the earth without him. Kinda makes 'em look like idiots.

I'd like to see the Alarm one. I actually really liked the first EP they put out and liked Declaration a bunch, even saw 'em live. After that they went downhill fast in my book, but those first two were good, still pull 'em out once in a while. That Frankie one would be fun too, just to see what the hell those guys would be doing nowadays.

Saw Dramarama too, and they actually seemed to still sound pretty decent live at the end.

OK...yes, I have been watching way too much TV lately.

Swish
01-30-2004, 12:44 PM
It's pretty interesting really, so far I've caught the episodes dealing with A Flock of Seagulls , Frankie Goes to Hollywood and The Alarm .

Now none of these bands ever did much for me but the stories behind their careers, how the broke up ect, is interesting.

The story of The Alarm I found intriguing due to how they broke up plus the fact that they still take themselves seriously even tho they were nothing but an over hyped, watered down copy of U2.

I've never known much about Frankie Goes to Hollywood , their sound or whatever was never my bag. I'll say this though,and anyone who has seen the episode will know what I mean , the live video clip they show at the end there is embarassing to say the least.

and they were about the only "legit" band on the show so far, although I may have missed a couple of them. I never considered Flock of Seagulls more than window dressing, and Kajagoogoo (spelling? Who cares!) was jsut a one-hit wonder. Anyway, the Dramarama bit was pretty good and I thought they had a decent sound back in the day. I have a couple
of their cds and may have to pull them out of the vault now since I haven't listened to them in years.

Swish Baby