Anybody else love the Apple ad campaign? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else love the Apple ad campaign?

topspeed
06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
I think they're absolutely brilliant! The way they have the young, everyday kind of guy as Mac and the nerdy, Bill Gatsian lookin' dude as PC is priceless. I think they're hilarious :lol:!

It's even making me consider buying a Mac next time!

Feanor
06-22-2006, 09:53 AM
I think they're absolutely brilliant! The way they have the young, everyday kind of guy as Mac and the nerdy, Bill Gatsian lookin' dude as PC is priceless. I think they're hilarious :lol:!

It's even making me consider buying a Mac next time!

Seriously though, how many people are going to switch? Not many. The amount of sofware for PC is so much larger; not to mention the higher price of the Apple machines.

I'm not knocking Apple. They're fundamentally good-to-great products, but MS has the market by the short hairs.

ericl
06-22-2006, 10:24 AM
there are better reasons to go mac than the commercial!! If there's nothing you absolutely need in windows, then i tell friends and family to go mac. No viruses, spyware, all that crap that just slows down your computer over time. Such a clean, beautiful system. Superior hardware, designed to go with the software and vice versa.. Better sound for computer audio too. I use both systems, windows has some advantages, but I prefer the elegance of Apple by a longshot..

for most basic computer users, choosing apple should be ano brainer. they are alightly more expensive, but the hardware is MUCH better, and more dependable down the long run. Audio geeks should appreciate the "build quality" and performance factors. Sure Windows machines are cheaper, and so are the boomboxes at walmart..

Florian
06-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey Ericl,

please eleborate on why you think the Hardware is superior, please. This would interest me.

Cheers

Flo

noddin0ff
06-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Don't forget that with the new chips Apple is using you can run Windows and pretty much everything Windows program you might need on a PC -NATIVELY- on a Mac. The last I read the side by side comparisons of running Windows on a new Mac vs on a PC showed there was little performance difference and there were even some things Macs did better within Windows. Essentially a draw though. Really high end PC games suffer because of lack of graphics card support. I'm sure it won't belong before those issues are resolved.

ericl
06-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Hey Ericl,

please eleborate on why you think the Hardware is superior, please. This would interest me.

Cheers

Flo

Well, of course there are millions of windows box configurations out there, but when people say "windows machines are cheaper, i can get a dell for $399" they are buying something full of crappy components that are far more likely to fail down the stretch, and they often do.. Apple in general uses better quality components all around.

Apple has a limited set of hardware configurations, which are customized with the OS. The OS is made to work with those specific hardware configs. Its much better integration as opposed to slapping together a bunch of components, and installing windows, and then hoping that everything works together. XP is much better with different hardware, but it sitll has issues.

I am typing this on a Toshiba/winXP laptop that is about four months old, about $1200 new. It has an ongoing problem of the keyboard and monitor often (separately, these are two independent issues) just shutting themselves off and refusing to work until i reboot. What is that about? Not to mention that this thing is bulky, ugly, and more noisy than a Mac machine, it is really no contest. I think anyone who has really spent anytime with a mac feels the same way.

People have a built in misconception left over from the 90's of Macs not being able to handle lots of file formats, or have the same programs (like MS office). but that's just not true anymore. Macs can do pretty much anything. Add in that they have both windows virutalization software AND the new intel macs can dual boot to windows and you have a compelling case.

In the next few months I plan to sell my ibook g4 and this winXP laptop and buy a MacBook Pro. I will be able to run both OSes, and I'll have the best of both worlds. (I need windows for WORK, as our sites run on ASP.net and our internal tools are all developed on and for the windows platform. I can do most work chores on mac too, but there are still some issues.)

paul_pci
06-22-2006, 12:23 PM
I too find the new ad campaign hilarious, and they could mix it up a bit and create a whole variety of scenarios to capture the utter stupiidty of working with Windows and utter simplicity and sense of working with Apple.

kexodusc
06-22-2006, 01:17 PM
http://break.com/index/pcvsmac1.html
http://break.com/index/pcvsmac2.html

I'd like to see a Mac at a LANparty...

They should make a commercial where PC can ask what games macs have, and the mac guy can go "um....Chess....."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCmUAWn_DlU

And my personal fav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OCWnXNj42U&search=apple

kexodusc
06-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Don't be ready to turn in that PC laptop just yet -
http://theinquirer.org/?article=32582

Quality control by Apple....

ericl
06-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Don't be ready to turn in that PC laptop just yet -
http://theinquirer.org/?article=32582

Quality control by Apple....

The intel macs are pretty new, give em sometime. That's one of the reasons I'm waiting..

I don't play video games, probably the best argument for PCs..

ericl
06-22-2006, 01:34 PM
And my personal fav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OCWnXNj42U&search=apple

I have not experienced what that dude was talking about.. You said it yourself, it ain't 1995 anymore. Is that the last time you used a mac? :)

kexodusc
06-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Actually, Mac's have their place, and are capable machines - CAD, serious multimedia work, etc...they've always been better.
I worked at a Mac store for 2 summers in college - did all kinds of troubleshooting - if anyone believes Macs are at all more reliable than PC's, they need to give their heads a serious shake. They're just as bad as PC's...except everyone knows how to fix a PC.

I think for the most part there's more computer literate people using Mac's thus not creating their own problems in the first place, but take my word, they ain't more reliable...just smarter at a few things.

I'm on a Mac as I type this...I generally like them, but I've had enough frustrated hours in front of one to make a point to dispell the myth about their superior quality compared to PC's. Don't even get me started on virtual PC...

ericl
06-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Actually, Mac's have their place, and are capable machines - CAD, serious multimedia work, etc...they've always been better.
I worked at a Mac store for 2 summers in college - did all kinds of troubleshooting - if anyone believes Macs are at all more reliable than PC's, they need to give their heads a serious shake. They're just as bad as PC's...except everyone knows how to fix a PC.

I think for the most part there's more computer literate people using Mac's thus not creating their own problems in the first place, but take my word, they ain't more reliable...just smarter at a few things.

I'm on a Mac as I type this...I generally like them, but I've had enough frustrated hours in front of one to make a point to dispell the myth about their superior quality compared to PC's. Don't even get me started on virtual PC...

Have you ever been to a friend or relatives house and had them ask you: "Can you fix my computer? It's really slow now. I don't know what's wrong with it." I sit down at their machine and proceed to spend hours removing obnoxious unnecessary applications, spyware, viruses, defragging their hard drive, you name it. It's a nightmare. I tell them to get a mac as soon as their machine dies.

I don't experience this with Mac owners. My mother has got to be the biggest luddite/technophobe i know, but she rarely has issues with her macs. She had her original iMac for about 8 years, running great until it got fried in an electrical storm (crappy 40 year old wiring in her house+ no surge proctector are to blame there). I got her a nice used iMac g4 for a great price, and she's all set for several more years..

I know macs have their numerous issues, but for the basic user, they are a much better choice.

kexodusc
06-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Have you ever been to a friend or relatives house and had them ask you: "Can you fix my computer? It's really slow now. I don't know what's wrong with it." I sit down at their machine and proceed to spend hours removing obnoxious unnecessary applications, spyware, viruses, defragging their hard drive, you name it. It's a nightmare. I tell them to get a mac as soon as their machine dies.

I don't experience this with Mac owners. My mother has got to be the biggest luddite/technophobe i know, but she rarely has issues with her macs. She had her original iMac for about 8 years, running great until it got fried in an electrical storm (crappy 40 year old wiring in her house+ no surge proctector are to blame there). I got her a nice used iMac g4 for a great price, and she's all set for several more years..

I know macs have their numerous issues, but for the basic user, they are a much better choice.
Ha ha, my mom has my old imac and took her years to figure out how to work the single button mouse...
I dunno...I was a mac fanatic growing up, still like what they can do, and there's a reason Hollwood uses them so much for movies, but for home use, value, flexibility, support...I just disagree that they're a better choice these days - despite the fact viruses, spyware and cyber junk target PC's almost exclusively...

They certainly look cooler though - PC's are still too freakin' sterile.