Anyone familiar with The Boxing Mirror by... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with The Boxing Mirror by...

Swish
06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Alejandro Escovedo? If you don't know his story, it's quite interesting as he's had a rocky road throughout his life, including 4 marriages and a near-death experience from hepatitis C a few short years ago. He's been in the music biz since around 1975 when he formed a punk band in San Francisco called The Nuns, then moved to NY and joined the Judy Nylon Band, another punk act. Next came Rank & File in Austin to play a fusion of punk and country (WTF?). Then he and his brother started a band called True Believers and opened for Los Lobos in 1982 and 83, and the two groups ended up touring together for about 4 years. He started teh Alejandro Escovedo Orchestra in 1990 to create, as he put it "a Southwestern version of Brian Eno's Another Green World", and has cellists, violinists, trumpeters, and steel guitars on the stage at the weekly gigs.

Anyway, this CD is sounding pretty good to me so far after a couple spins, and his lyrics reflect on his health issues and his other troubles. John Cale joins the fun, along with a bunch of others not so notable, but this one is Swish recommended.

Swish

Snowbunny
06-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Alejandro Escovedo? If you don't know his story, it's quite interesting as he's had a rocky road throughout his life, including 4 marriages and a near-death experience from hepatitis C a few short years ago. He's been in the music biz since around 1975 when he formed a punk band in San Francisco called The Nuns, then moved to NY and joined the Judy Nylon Band, another punk act. Next came Rank & File in Austin to play a fusion of punk and country (WTF?). Then he and his brother started a band called True Believers and opened for Los Lobos in 1982 and 83, and the two groups ended up touring together for about 4 years. He started teh Alejandro Escovedo Orchestra in 1990 to create, as he put it "a Southwestern version of Brian Eno's Another Green World", and has cellists, violinists, trumpeters, and steel guitars on the stage at the weekly gigs.

Anyway, this CD is sounding pretty good to me so far after a couple spins, and his lyrics reflect on his health issues and his other troubles. John Cale joins the fun, along with a bunch of others not so notable, but this one is Swish recommended.

Swish

One good pity click deserves another...

:Yawn:

Swish
06-20-2006, 07:04 PM
One good pity click deserves another...

:Yawn:

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Swish

Stone
06-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Next came Rank & File in Austin to play a fusion of punk and country (WTF?).

Does this mean you're not familiar with Rank & File or that you don't agree with the description?

That first Rank & File record, on which Alejandro played, is excellent. I highly recommend it. It is somewhat of a fusion of punk and country, which would later be heard more in bands like Jason & the Scorchers.

I do like The Boxing Mirror too, but it hasn't kept my attention. I need to pull it out again soon and spin it.

Swish
06-21-2006, 06:14 AM
Does this mean you're not familiar with Rank & File or that you don't agree with the description?

That first Rank & File record, on which Alejandro played, is excellent. I highly recommend it. It is somewhat of a fusion of punk and country, which would later be heard more in bands like Jason & the Scorchers.

I do like The Boxing Mirror too, but it hasn't kept my attention. I need to pull it out again soon and spin it.

..until you hear it. Anyone sounding like Jason and the Scorchers is fine in my book. I got the bulk of my info from Paste a couple months ago, not knowing his complete history.
Good stuff.

Swish