Same old question: Need help deciding [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Same old question: Need help deciding

DLPZ
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
I think I've narrowed my receiver choices to the Pioneer VSX-1016 when it comes out and the Onkyo TX-SR703. The Pioneer has some more options the the Onkyo, but I think the Onkyo would be a better sounding receiver. I have not demo'd either, (the 1015 in the case of the Pioneer). Both are in the same price range if you get the Onkyo as refurbished. Both have pre outs and will be adding amplifiers as time goes on.

I'm curious if anybody had any opinions either way or neither or other

My usage is both the ability to have great sounding music and great home theater. Currently have BIC America speakers system modified by EFT technologies with a parts express sub. i want to get a receiver that's the heart of a system to add amplifiers to and upgrade other components as necessary without having to buy another receiver a couple years down the road.

Thanks

likeitloud
06-20-2006, 05:14 PM
I may be biased, but the sr703 was a receiver I looked at when making my final a/v
picks. It wound up being out of my budget, and I choose the vsx 1015tx. The onkyo
has features the pioneer dos'nt (ipod hook-up, hdmi). The other thing was the
craftmanship of the actual unit, after a 10 minute mid volume test, it got VERY hot.
I've seen this under $550 lately. I say take another look at it, and decide. Good Luck.

Pioneer VSX1015TX
JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
Panasonic DVD F86K
Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
AR Interconnects
Cobalt 14G Wire
Sanus Stands
XBOX 360 (Just Added)

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen

superpanavision70mm
06-20-2006, 10:48 PM
If the prices are only the same if the Onkyo is a refurb...why not look for a refurbished Pioneer Elite and get a much better receiver than either of your original choices. Just a thought!

thekid
06-21-2006, 05:39 PM
DLPZ- You may want to look at my post over in amps/recievers if you have not already. The Onkyo's are not getting much love over there.