adding dedicated preamps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : adding dedicated preamps

accastil
06-20-2006, 01:52 PM
i have an existing audio-video surround component set up with an AV surround receiver acting as the preamp during stereo music listening. in 2 months from now, ill be having a dedicated stereo preamplifier. how do i hook in this one into my existing set up if ill be making use only of it for music and the receiver only for movies? would i be needing a T or Y RCA connector in the inputs of my stereo power amps to accomodate both the reciever and the preamp outputs going to it? is would there be a wiser solution?

accastil
06-20-2006, 01:54 PM
i have an existing audio-video surround component set up with an AV surround receiver acting as the preamp during stereo music listening. in 2 months from now, ill be having a dedicated stereo preamplifier. how do i hook in this one into my existing set up if ill be making use only of it for music and the receiver only for movies? would i be needing a T or Y RCA connector in the inputs of my stereo power amps to accomodate both the reciever and the preamp outputs going to it? is would there be a wiser solution?
it is becuase i do not want to be redundant making use of both the reciever and the stereo preamp all at the same time when listening and/or when watching movies.

JoeE SP9
06-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Get a preamp that has an A/V pass through or bypass. That way you connect the amplifier for your front speakers to your preamp. The front L and R outputs from your surround component go to the pass through or bypass inputs on your preamp. You can connect your CD player, TT and any other 2 channel source to your preamp. Sources that are surround, Dolby, DTS or anything else multichannel get connected to your surround processor component.:cool: