Shure E2c review... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shure E2c review...

audio_dude
06-20-2006, 01:33 PM
:cornut: e2c's ROCK!!!
there is only one way to describe these phones?...HELLZ YA!!!! :14:

i went to the store, picked them up, nothing to hard 'bout that....they're packaged in the typical electronics/impossible to open/infuriating plastic...the scissors made light work of it, just cut off the ring around the outside!

:12:

so, i got home, opened these babies up...the first thing that struck me is the weight and cord size, they were as light as I expected, but the cord is at least double the thickness of the stock iPod earbuds. the packaging is very sturdy, many layers. after you remove the top layer with the actual earbuds, you are greeted with a small pack of "sleeves" that fit over the little sound channel to provide the sound isolation. I first tried the one that came attached to the phones, they provided a pretty good fit for me, but I still tried most of the others. i'm using the large foam sleeves, think earplugs...with sound! you squish them with your fingers and let them expand in your ear canal. the stock ones aren't bad ether.

:2:

from a isolation stand point, i don't really have anything to compare it to, except real ear plugs, and these come pretty damn close! i can't hear the keyboard as i'm typing this, but i can hear myself blink if i blink hard, which is kinda really freaktastic.

from a sound quality standpoint, they sound nearly as good as my grado SR-60s if not the same or better.
:thumbsup:

if you have any questions, just ask me!!!

jrhymeammo
06-20-2006, 05:10 PM
there is only one way to describe these phones?...HELLZ YA!!!! :14:

i went to the store, picked them up, nothing to hard 'bout that....they're packaged in the typical electronics/impossible to open/infuriating plastic...the scissors made light work of it, just cut off the ring around the outside!

:12:

so, i got home, opened these babies up...the first thing that struck me is the weight and cord size, they were as light as I expected, but the cord is at least double the thickness of the stock iPod earbuds. the packaging is very sturdy, many layers. after you remove the top layer with the actual earbuds, you are greeted with a small pack of "sleeves" that fit over the little sound channel to provide the sound isolation. I first tried the one that came attached to the phones, they provided a pretty good fit for me, but I still tried most of the others. i'm using the large foam sleeves, think earplugs...with sound! you squish them with your fingers and let them expand in your ear canal. the stock ones aren't bad ether.

:2:

from a isolation stand point, i don't really have anything to compare it to, except real ear plugs, and these come pretty damn close! i can't hear the keyboard as i'm typing this, but i can hear myself blink if i blink hard, which is kinda really freaktastic.

from a sound quality standpoint, they sound nearly as good as my grado SR-60s if not the same or better.
:thumbsup:

if you have any questions, just ask me!!!

I've been looking at those for a long time now.
Do they sound as bright as GR-60? How is isolation w/ that clear silicone-like earplugs?

audio_dude
06-23-2006, 05:25 PM
first...sry 'bout the late reply, i was in quebec...

ok, the sound is smooth and controlled, not overly bright or nothing

and the silicone plugs really don't work well, skip over them and go straight for the foam ones...they have by far the best isolation and comfort...the silicone ones make like a vacuum in the ear canal, it hurts and sounds like $hit

jrhymeammo
06-23-2006, 06:34 PM
first...sry 'bout the late reply, i was in quebec...

..the silicone ones make like a vacuum in the ear canal, it hurts and sounds like $hit

How was Quebec? I bet it was nice and cool.
So, even the smallest plugs hurt like hell? Thanks for the update.

JRA

audio_dude
06-24-2006, 03:03 PM
quebec was fun, weather was good, nice and cool, not too hot but very nice...

well, when I cracked the package open, I lined up all 9 sets of tips ( 3 styles x 3 sizes each ) and tried the "flex sleeves" (clear whitish ones) first, small one: too small, no seal...medium one: good seal after a few minutes of wiggling...large ones: way to huge...

then I tried the "super flex sleeves" (the black really soft ones) small: again, too small...medium: a little too small to get a good seal, pretty comfortable though, no bass...large: once I got a seal the bass what good and the tip itself was very soft and comfortable, the only problem was the isolation, they let in way too much outside noise for a sound isolating earphone.

last I tried the soft foam ones, they are the most commonly recommended by other reviewers... small: too small, no seal...medium: good size, decent seal, no bass though....large: by far the best tip of all 9, comfortable, awesome bass, and its like wearing earplugs!

E-Stat
06-25-2006, 09:10 AM
there is only one way to describe these phones?...HELLZ YA!!!!
I'm likewise very pleased with my E3Cs. I definitely agree that one should experiment with the different sleeves. I found the small grey ones best for my ears. They form a great seal for optimum bass response and don't pop out like the mediums did.

I went back to compare them with a pair of Sony earbuds that I found better than the standard fare found with most Walkmans and Ipods. There was really no comparison. The Shures have better resolution and extension at both ends.

A bonus is that they are very efficient and thus save battery power.

rw

emorphien
10-21-2006, 11:39 PM
E2cs compared to grados won't sound as detailed or clear... but they're still well above average for earbuds for under $100 (I got mine for $55). It does depend what grados you're comparing to, I consider my E2cs quite commendable (all things considered) when compared to my SR325s.

audio_dude
10-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Agreed, the open air properties of the grado's lead to a clearer, crisper and more detailed sound, but the e2C's aren't slouches ether, they sound relatively clear, and have nice full bass, but no so much that it gets all muddy, its a clean bass, definitively not a "bass-head" kind of 'phone, but for everyday use, comuting, bussing, subway, its all good, the foam plugs are great... comfy, good isolation, great bass,

emorphien
10-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Agreed, the open air properties of the grado's lead to a clearer, crisper and more detailed sound, but the e2C's aren't slouches ether,
Obviously, but I do think the E2cs fall behind on refinement and clarity a bit. For $55 I'm not complaining at all, however I eventually will probably get a higher end set that is more refined and has a bit more punch to the bass.

audio_dude
10-24-2006, 02:02 PM
nothin wrong for the price! and they improve greatly on the stock iPod buds...

emorphien
10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
nothin wrong for the price! and they improve greatly on the stock iPod buds...
going deaf does too

audio_dude
10-26-2006, 02:48 PM
ohh ya, forgot to mention that point too...hehehe

emorphien
11-12-2006, 11:25 PM
mine have crapped the bed :(

staticky in both channels and the right channel fades sometimes. Gotta send them in.