for the Prog fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : for the Prog fans

KEXPMF
06-20-2006, 09:43 AM
for the prog rock fans out there... it's not a genre that I'm into that much but I like this album. Don Caballero has a new album on Relapse. www.relapse.com :cornut:

Dusty Chalk
06-20-2006, 06:25 PM
I like the two tracks on this page (http://shop.relapse.com/store/product.aspx?ProductID=22961), will have to look it up.

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2006, 06:39 PM
for the prog rock fans out there... it's not a genre that I'm into that much but I like this album. Don Caballero has a new album on Relapse. www.relapse.com :cornut:

Ya lost me as soon as the vocals started. Thanks for posting the rec though.

KEXPMF
06-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Ya lost me as soon as the vocals started. Thanks for posting the rec though.

but Don Caballero is all instrumental. There are no vocals. You musta listened to something else?:confused5:

Dusty Chalk
06-21-2006, 01:35 PM
There were vocals?

ForeverAutumn
06-21-2006, 03:03 PM
but Don Caballero is all instrumental. There are no vocals. You musta listened to something else?:confused5:

LOL. Am I ever glad to hear you say that! I was wondering why you would call what I was listening to Prog. Whatever it was, it was VERY death metal.

I can't listen on my work computer. I'll have to wait until I'm on my home computer and I'll try again.

Dusty Chalk
06-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Well, to be fair, until KEXPMF said something, I wasn't sure there wasn't vocals, I figured I had just tuned them out. Try clicking on the page I linked when you get home, that should send you to the right audio samples (two whole tracks).

KEXPMF
06-22-2006, 08:28 PM
haha, they definitely are not 'Death Metal'.... I'm guessing their label's website probably automatically played one of their other bands upon loading the site?

Don Cab are hard to describe/categorize. I'll give it a try: prog-instrumental-indie rock

I just like 'em. I just like this new record. I don't think the best songs on it are the ones up for listening to on the site. But the whole thing is pretty good. They are touring this summer. I haven't seen them live yet.

Here's a review from the Chicago Reader:

DON CABALLERO This isn't your older brother's Don Caballero. In 2001 guitarist Ian Williams and bassist Eric Emm checked out, leaving drummer Damon Che, the sole constant in a decade of personnel changes, to start over from scratch. He did it by acquiring three-quarters of the Pittsburgh band Creta Bourzia--Jeff Ellsworth and Gene Doyle on guitars, Jason Jouver on bass--and the new lineup has developed a sound that's metallic in the most literal sense: the ten pounding, percussive, cyclical instrumental tracks on World Class Listening Problem (Relapse), the first Don Cab album in more than five years, sound like they weren't so much written as assembled out of massive steel girders and tiny clockwork gears.

ForeverAutumn
06-23-2006, 06:05 AM
Now that's MUCH better than what I heard the first time 'round!

This just didn't click with me. There's no direction. The changes come out of nowhere with no real flow to the songs. It seemed more like a repetition of a phrase for a few bars, then change. Then repeat. Then change. Repeat. Change. Personally, I was bored.

Thanks for the rec and the links. It's always great to be exposed to new stuff, even when it's not your cup of tea.

-Jar-
06-23-2006, 08:36 PM
I don't think most of the Prog fans here would know what to think of Don Caballero.

-Jar-
06-23-2006, 08:41 PM
This just didn't click with me. There's no direction. The changes come out of nowhere with no real flow to the songs. It seemed more like a repetition of a phrase for a few bars, then change. Then repeat. Then change. Repeat. Change. Personally, I was bored.

You might like their first album (FOR RESPECT) better, it has catchy riffs that go on for a few measures. Probably their strongest prog influence is the more abstract parts of the RED/STARLESS era King Crimson. Definately not Genesis or Kansas! hehe :D

-jar