Has anyone heard of this speaker brand? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of this speaker brand?

jwcullen
06-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Just wondering if anyone has heard of Delphonica?
If so what are they like??

Heres the specs for the speakers:

Delphonica E806R
Impedance 4 ohm
Sensitivity 91dB
Power 220W
Frequency 38hz - 22KHz
Dimensions (HxWxD) 1004 x 240 x 340(mm)
Drive Units 1" tweeter, 1x6 1/2" midrange 2x6 1/2" woofer
http://216.70.83.118/ebay/hifi/echo_806_che_2.jpg
http://216.70.83.118/ebay/hifi/echo_806_che_4.jpg

Thanks!

Resident Loser
06-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Just wondering if anyone has heard of Delphonica?
If so what are they like??...technical yada, yada, yada...

Thanks!

...new member posts re: unknown, off-market brands...this has the distinct aroma of spam to it...Geez, such great close-ups and not even a clue as to their quality?...even if that isn't the case, the above mentioned speakers are probably some third-world cr@p designed and built to bilk the unsuspecting noob out of his or her hard-earned bux...White van/ebay fodder...

jimHJJ(...but then, that's just me...)

jwcullen
06-20-2006, 08:50 AM
...new member posts re: unknown, off-market brands...this has the distinct aroma of spam to it...Geez, such great close-ups and not even a clue as to their quality?...even if that isn't the case, the above mentioned speakers are probably some third-world cr@p designed and built to bilk the unsuspecting noob out of his or her hard-earned bux...White van/ebay fodder...

jimHJJ(...but then, that's just me...)

Wow thanks for you help!
Do you feel better that you got that off your chest?

edtyct
06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
It may be an Australian company. Their speakers certainly do not look cheap. For example, check out Item number: 9744609938 on ebay.

topspeed
06-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Wow. I wonder if B&W can do anything about these blatant rip-offs? Certainly this must be some form of trademark infringement?

White van crap. Stay away. (although the current e-bay bid is $0.99...which is about right :) )

Resident Loser
06-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Wow thanks for you help!
Do you feel better that you got that off your chest?

...obviously able-bodied, non-handicapped folks parking in clearly marked handicapped only spots after dutifully putting the required hang-tag on their rear-view mirror, I will, on many instances, ask them what their handicap is that allows them to qualify for this preferential treatment...

While you'd think the truly disabled would be glad to see someone taking an interest in the proper use of those spots, the answer is never "Oh I have such and such and can't walk too far"...The reality is that guilt is it's own accuser, so it's usually an arrogant "Mind your own business, what's it to you?" The latter reponse screams volumes...

As does yours...touchy, touchy...

As previously posted:

...White van/ebay fodder...

jimHJJ(...of course you could visit their facade of a website...ain't difficult to find...)

paul_pci
06-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Wow. I wonder if B&W can do anything about these blatant rip-offs? Certainly this must be some form of trademark infringement?

White van crap. Stay away. (although the current e-bay bid is $0.99...which is about right :) )

Exactly my thought.

edtyct
06-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Isn't the label underneath the binding posts, which reads "Professional Audio Equipment," enough for you guys? O, ye of little faith.

Resident Loser
06-21-2006, 06:03 AM
...ho-boy-y-y-...Your PM was so well received, I thought I'd share it with everyone:

Problems as a child?

I came on here asking advice on a set of speakers, If they are ****...ok fair enough..but dont start attacking me.
1,229 posts and I wonder how many of them are as useless as the last two.

Resident Loser...spot on pal

You think that was an attack?!?!?!?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...yada-yada-yada...

Your post follows a pattern...A noob who has nothing to offer on their first post other than to provide some rather detailed pics re: some off-brand items...funny thing, they're only available on ebay or some other on-line version of the white van modus operandi, the supposed manufacturers website is useless and the post's .jpeg/spec sheet inclusion looks like a blatant cut-and-paste...

Within the last few months. some guy (barbershopdude) was touting unheard-of cables and another (Juan Francisco) HT speakers...there were other similar, perhaps more blatant, helpings of spam, but they were deleted by the mods...Word-of-mouth advertising...just cast that fly and hope someone will bite.

So if you aren't pimping the ebay sale, my apologies (don't wanna' upset the mods)...if you are: bite me!

BTW, the remark re: my moniker...oh, golly duh!...never heard that one...

jimHJJ(...not...)

jneutron
06-21-2006, 07:01 AM
It may be an Australian company. Their speakers certainly do not look cheap. For example, check out Item number: 9744609938 on ebay.

Why would an Australian company put "made in china" on the bottom of the sticker, and designed in the UK by...?

Sheesh, I guess everybody's outsourcing these days..course, I would have had somebody spellcheck "sentivity" and "imperdance"..

Cheers, John

Resident Loser
06-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Why would an Australian company put "made in china" on the bottom of the sticker, and designed in the UK by...?

Sheesh, I guess everybody's outsourcing these days..course, I would have had somebody spellcheck "sentivity" and "imperdance"..

Cheers, John

...mention it (it's so much easier when you have the answers) MIC and DIUK is so friggin' obvious...my resolution stinks...allthough I didn't notice the mis-spellings...good one Science Boy...

jimHJJ(...if this was AH I'd give you a green Chicklet...)

edtyct
06-21-2006, 07:27 AM
I hastily noticed that all of Delfonica's products on ebay originated in Australia. I did a little bit more checking and found an indirect connection with a Chinese company in Hong Kong that makes tube amplifiers. I'm an editor, and I didn't catch the misspellings--but. then again, I didn't look below the first line.

jneutron
06-21-2006, 07:46 AM
I hastily noticed that all of Delfonica's products on ebay originated in Australia. I did a little bit more checking and found an indirect connection with a Chinese company in Hong Kong that makes tube amplifiers. I'm an editor, and I didn't catch the misspellings--but. then again, I didn't look below the first line.

Hmmm...an editor didn't catch mis-spellings..:confused5:

Well, your excused...the resolution of the pic was quite low.

I expect more and more mainland China/Australia connections in the future. The current undergraduate capacity in China falls far below the need, and many chinese students are studying in Australia.

It has a tragic side, however...in China, traffic signals are typically ignored by bicyclists and pedestrians, especially in Beijing, and many assume the traffic will yield. An incorrect assumption, especially on roads at 80 to 100 kph.

Cheers, John

edtyct
06-21-2006, 08:08 AM
I never said that I was a good editor, but I try to look both ways before I cross the street.

jwcullen
06-21-2006, 08:58 AM
...ho-boy-y-y-...Your PM was so well received, I thought I'd share it with everyone:

You think that was an attack?!?!?!?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...yada-yada-yada...

Your post follows a pattern...A noob who has nothing to offer on their first post other than to provide some rather detailed pics re: some off-brand items...funny thing, they're only available on ebay or some other on-line version of the white van modus operandi, the supposed manufacturers website is useless and the post's .jpeg/spec sheet inclusion looks like a blatant cut-and-paste...

Within the last few months. some guy (barbershopdude) was touting unheard-of cables and another (Juan Francisco) HT speakers...there were other similar, perhaps more blatant, helpings of spam, but they were deleted by the mods...Word-of-mouth advertising...just cast that fly and hope someone will bite.

So if you aren't pimping the ebay sale, my apologies (don't wanna' upset the mods)...if you are: bite me!

BTW, the remark re: my moniker...oh, golly duh!...never heard that one...

jimHJJ(...not...)

I didnt even take the photos, and I am certainly not trying to advertise these speakers.
I was simply asking if anyone had heard of them.

A simple "No they are junk" or "Yes they are quite good" would have been great.rather than accusing me of being a "noob spammer"

Obviously you take offense to people that post in "your forum"

topspeed
06-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Posting a pm on the board, Jim? :nono:

FWIW, I didn't think the OP was blatant spam, but then again the rash of crap that has been hitting the board lately is usually deleted before I get a chance to see it. The mod's are pretty quick on the draw. At face value, the guy's a noob and simply didn't know what a White Van speaker is.

bonsaiguitar
06-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Don't worry about it jwcullen. Welcome to the forum. I received the same over reaction with the first coule of posts I placed here.

Unfortunatly some people have little time other than to sit on forums in their own waste waiting for a chance to pounce on someone. It's actually a pretty good forum minus a couple of posters that obviosly over react based without facts and just have nothing better to do. Now this is where I would Moderate swiftly.

There are so many companies making speakers that its hard to tell. Being made in China is no clue to the quality of the speaker. Anybody thinking so simply doesn't know any better. Several high end companies have items assymbled in China and other countries that were engineered and designed in the USA. It's a cost issue, not quality. Now granted some Chinese made items are garbage, just as some USA made items are so you would need a little more to go on, like listening to them or reading reaviews or both.

Resident Loser
06-21-2006, 09:47 AM
I didnt even take the photos, and I am certainly not trying to advertise these speakers.
I was simply asking if anyone had heard of them.

A simple "No they are junk" or "Yes they are quite good" would have been great.rather than accusing me of being a "noob spammer"

Obviously you take offense to people that post in "your forum"

...you have comprehension problems, to wit:

From Post #2

...even if that (being a noob spammer) isn't the case, the above mentioned speakers are probably some third-world cr@p designed and built to bilk the unsuspecting noob out of his or her hard-earned bux...White van/ebay fodder...

From Post #6

..White van/ebay fodder...of course you could visit their facade of a website...ain't difficult to find...

From Post #9

...So if you aren't pimping the ebay sale, my apologies (don't wanna' upset the mods)...if you are: bite me!

What I take offense to is folks who do that sort of thing, and pardon my opinion, but your virgin post has all the earmarks of such behavior...

jimHJJ(...like I said, you're either really handicapped or just tryin' to get over...and by your answers they shall know you...)

edtyct
06-21-2006, 09:49 AM
That's a good point to make--that is, about equipment assembled in China. People might well be surprised to learn how many reputable companies save money that way. The point to take out of this thread is that A/V scams can be insidious and highly tempting to people who don't spend a lot of time in this field and are looking for a bargain. We deconstructed Delfonica fairly well; the burden of proof now lies with the "company" itself. JW Cullen should not come away with the idea that he is not welcome here, much less that he should be presumed guilty of shilling without any good evidence.

Resident Loser
06-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Posting a pm on the board, Jim? :nono:

FWIW, I didn't think the OP was blatant spam, but then again the rash of crap that has been hitting the board lately is usually deleted before I get a chance to see it. The mod's are pretty quick on the draw. At face value, the guy's a noob and simply didn't know what a White Van speaker is.

...FWIW and based on recent history, that's the way it struck me...

Out of curiosity since when have PMs fallen under the guidelines of the Seal of Confession?...What sinister information did I reveal? Oh, perhaps that someone has a thin skin and resorts to insult when the rain starts to fall...

PMs stay PMs when they are from known entities...

jimHJJ(...and that's something this guy isn't...)

Resident Loser
06-21-2006, 10:22 AM
...Unfortunatly some people have little time other than to sit on forums in their own waste waiting for a chance to pounce on someone. It's actually a pretty good forum minus a couple of posters that obviosly over react based without facts and just have nothing better to do. Now this is where I would Moderate swiftly.

...that first line is a corker!

Moderate swiftly? As I recall it was a moderator who deleted your early work due to your shill-like turn of phrase...there are other regulars who respond in kind to tout-like behavior...markw...FLZapped...to name two...and JohnMichael is mod in charge of spam-ectomies...

Are you trying to imply our moderators sit "...in their own waste..."?

jimHJJ(...hmmmm...)

bonsaiguitar
06-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Good Point RL. I was refering to those attacking the new poster. What you are missing is one simple point, it's the moderators jobs to jump in when they suspect problems on the forum. Not yours or anybody elses. I only wish they would have made sure about mine first, but it's water under the bridge. They didn't ban me, they only removed the post temporarily until I proved myself. Even sent me a PM, of course I didn't get it until after the fact, but they did their jobs, though maybe a bit hasty.

It's not about thick or thin skin, it's about being civilized and treating eachother with respect.

It's also very tacky and rude to post someones PM on the forum, regardless of what they may or may not have said. In this case I would think that you deserve whatever you get.

Damnit Jim! It's a forum, not a life. ............Dr. Bones of the starship Audio.

Resident Loser
06-21-2006, 11:06 AM
What you are missing is one simple point, it's the moderators jobs to jump in when they suspect problems on the forum. Not yours or anybody elses...but they did their jobs, though maybe a bit hasty

...a "report this post" option...why might that have been? Do you think the mods have a million eyes? Or can react as quickly as the members? So, yeah it's mine AND everyone elses...it's up to us to put flags on suspect items...

There was a guy some time ago trying to start a cable company...answered every cable inquiry with a sort of "try mine" type of response and included his web address in every post...he was told to stop by some of the rank-and-file, myself included, and take up some paid ad space, after a number of such threads the mods (not the current group) took notice and took action.

So you want them to do their job of protecting the site, but make certain inquires first so as not to upset anyone...as I've been trying to say all along, the shills usually follow patterns...

jimHJJ(...and most of the time they are that duck I mentioned...)

bonsaiguitar
06-21-2006, 12:42 PM
LMAO Yeah.......OK.

Couldn't help myself just thinking back to what you said about the moderators. I guess they must not be doing their jobs after all. You're still here.

JohnMichael
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
LMAO Yeah.......OK.

Couldn't help myself just thinking back to what you said about the moderators. I guess they must not be doing their jobs after all. You're still here.

The difference in some posts involve when links are included. The person starting this thread asked an opinion of a speaker without a link for others to follow and purchase the speakers. When someone includes a link with their first post to take them to a store and not to the product they are asking about it looks suspicious. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as they are not offensive or conducting business for their own profit without buying advertising. Oh and by the way my chair is quite clean and waste free.

Geoffcin
06-21-2006, 05:29 PM
This post has been edited by me.

This sort of link to a site is not acceptable in this forum! We have members below 15 years old.

-Florian

What exactly is the problem here?

Florian
06-21-2006, 05:32 PM
What exactly is the problem here?

The new member has posted a link to a "Penis Enlargement site". I was trying to help by removing the link.

-Flo

Geoffcin
06-21-2006, 05:44 PM
The new member has posted a link to a "Penis Enlargement site". I was trying to help by removing the link.

-Flo
Thanks Flo, but I got it from here;

jwcullen; It's a good thing that I didn't see it first, as you would have received a suspension. Please do not post any more inappropriate links to this site.

I understand that it's tough when you ask a question and you don't get helpful answers. You have to understand that there's a lot of Spam hitting these forums, and it's always from newbies. I am sorry for the way some of the veteran members have treated you, but if you stick around you'll see that there's a lot of good people with helpful advice on these forums.

bonsaiguitar
06-21-2006, 07:03 PM
This is amazing. The source of the problem in this thread was not with jwcullen. He simply asked a question and posted some nice clean pics. Then some bully ( I'm being nice) came along and caused the problems with personal attacks. It takes a real man and genius to hide behind their PC while trashing someone undeservedly with no proof whatsoever. Kind of like medieval times. LMAO

There’s one in every crowd. Unfortunately for the members of this site there’s more than one in this crowd. And it's a real shame running people off like this because we all learn from eachother. I learned about idiots today.

jwcullen
06-21-2006, 07:37 PM
This is amazing. The source of the problem in this thread was not with jwcullen. He simply asked a question and posted some nice clean pics. Then some bully ( I'm being nice) came along and caused the problems with personal attacks. It takes a real man and genius to hide behind their PC while trashing someone undeservedly with no proof whatsoever. Kind of like medieval times. LMAO

Thankyou... at least there are a few nice/normal people in this forum.
Probably should delete this thread now as it has nothing to do with the topic anymore.

Next time I will make sure I dont post such clear photos.
:nonod:

drseid
06-22-2006, 12:35 AM
That's a good point to make--that is, about equipment assembled in China. People might well be surprised to learn how many reputable companies save money that way. The point to take out of this thread is that A/V scams can be insidious and highly tempting to people who don't spend a lot of time in this field and are looking for a bargain. We deconstructed Delfonica fairly well; the burden of proof now lies with the "company" itself. JW Cullen should not come away with the idea that he is not welcome here, much less that he should be presumed guilty of shilling without any good evidence.

I'll go even a step futher and say that there is some excellent quality gear that is even *designed* and built in China (not just for manufacturing savings). My own Opera Audio Consonance gear (CD-120 Player in my main rig and Eric-1 speakers for my office) were designed and built in China, and I am quite happy with them both. Other high-end brands from China like Vincent (maker of high-end hybrid tube electronics) can also run with most of the high-end stuff out there.

All of that said, like others have already mentioned, the speakers mentioned in the OP are B&W clone junk.

---Dave

Geoffcin
06-22-2006, 02:34 AM

There’s one in every crowd. Unfortunately for the members of this site there’s more than one in this crowd. And it's a real shame running people off like this because we all learn from eachother. I learned about idiots today.

Don't assume I can read every post on these forums. I didn't know there was a problem until someone complained.

bonsaiguitar
06-22-2006, 03:29 AM
I don't. But as I also said, what harm was it doing even if it was Spam for it to be here for a few hours. Is there one moderator per area? I've seen more moderators on this forum than any other I've been too.

I would agree that this thread needs to be removed.

Geoffcin
06-22-2006, 04:39 AM
I don't. But as I also said, what harm was it doing even if it was Spam for it to be here for a few hours. Is there one moderator per area? I've seen more moderators on this forum than any other I've been too.

I would agree that this thread needs to be removed.

There were some really good replies from AR veterans to the original question. The consensus being that this is cheap knockoff crap.

If there were some spurious remarks made and not removed by a moderator, how ironic that is, as you were just complaining about how constrained the moderators made you feel. you seem to want it both ways!

bonsaiguitar
06-22-2006, 05:49 AM
There were some really good replies from AR veterans to the original question. The consensus being that this is cheap knockoff crap.

If there were some spurious remarks made and not removed by a moderator, how ironic that is, as you were just complaining about how constrained the moderators made you feel. you seem to want it both ways!

My complaint (I actually made a suggestion, but I guess anybody that disagrees is considered complaining) had to do with handling threads going off topic. And deleting threads before finding out the facts as happened to me just a few days ago. I was slammed withou even being contacted even though I registered with a POP3 email account. Let's stick to the facts please. This isn't the Audio Lab ;)

If you beleive the way this new member was treated is OK you guys obviously have some serious issues on this forum.

bonsaiguitar
06-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Just curious, how many AR members, veteran or not have heard these speakers? A little honesty goes a long, long way.

markw
06-22-2006, 06:03 AM
Just curious, how many AR members, veteran or not have heard these speakers? A little honesty goes a long, long way.Geography has a LOT to do with this hobby. Not everything is universally available.

As this thread progressed, it became clear that these were from "down under" and, this being mostly an American forum, that would limit our exposure to a lot of stuff marketed to the rest of the world in a local market.

That's why it helps if posters identify their location. Sometimes someone from that market might pick up on it and be able to offer some specific advice.

However, I don't think he asked if anyone HEARD these speakers so much as if anyone had HEARD OF the manufacturer, as if to question it's reputation.

To wit: I've not heard all B & W speakers but I've heard of B &W and will go on record as stating that they are a reputable company that has been around for quite some time, will most likely be around for a while to come, their products are built to certain standards, and they back up their products. None of this has squat to say about how they sound, that's a personal preference, but is good information to know when making a purchase.

Now, it would be nice if this thread were allowed to die a natural death, no? There's been enough blood shed in this forum over the last few days.

Let's just move on, shall we?

Resident Loser
06-22-2006, 06:17 AM
...Now, it would be nice if this thread were allowed to die a natural death, no? There's been enough blood shed in this forum over the last few days.

Let's just move on, shall we?

The Steel Cage awaits...

jimHJJ(...join us, will you?...)

Geoffcin
06-22-2006, 06:18 AM
If you beleive the way this new member was treated is OK you guys obviously have some serious issues on this forum.

I thought the newbie got a pretty shabby welcome. But I don't think you should judge the rest of us by what ResidentLoser posts.

Resident Loser
06-22-2006, 06:32 AM
I thought the newbie got a pretty shabby welcome. But I don't think you should judge the rest of us by what ResidentLoser posts.

...but do try to convey exactly how you arrived at that conclusion...and you're right...no one should judge this place by what I post...they might actually think the place is populated with intelligent, skeptical, reasonable people who don't believe you need to spend a fortune for good sound and don't indulge in the self-deceptive tweak du jour...

jimHJJ(...BTW, wire is wire...)

GMichael
06-22-2006, 06:40 AM
jwcullen,

Welcome to AR. The speakers in your pics look like B&W speakers. If they are, then they a well thought of by many. Beware of knock offs though. It happens.

Sorry that you had a bumpy start here. Your first post just fit a pattern. Many posters here are protective and are quick to point out if they think that someone is trying to scam us. It doesn't mean that you are not welcome. Stick around. You'll see that scammers come by now and then. You may even find yourself replying in a similar way.

Mike

Florian
06-22-2006, 08:54 AM
To: jwcullen

I welcome you to this forum too :-) Just please dont post any more dirty links ;-)

As for the speakers. They are build to look like B&W speakers, without knowing what drivers, crossovers, parts etc. they use there is now way of knowing how they sound. B&W speakers have a great build quality, good service and a high wife acceptance factor. Maybe you should give the real ones a listen, and let your ears decide.

Have fun

Flo