Replacing a blown unit [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a blown unit

audio amateur
06-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Hey guys (and girls for that matter),
I just made a fool out of myself blowing the woofer on one of my Velodyne sats by playing a 20Hz test tone which I was intending to feed my sub with, but obviously the sat was hungry and ate a little too much:sad:
Anyway, there goes my second mid/woofer (it's part of a 5.0 kit by the way).
It still works though, and I know it's the woofer that's blown and not the tweeter cause I disconnected the tweeter. It makes a bizar crackling noise, and Im assuming it is the voice coil because a bunch of smoke was inside the cabinet when I pull out the drivers.
Anyway, what I would like is replacement 4" drivers for the speakers. The problem is the cutout, is not exactly round, so I'll probably have trouble getting the new woofers in. Sensitivity is around 88dB, sealed... Any suggestions? thanx

royphil345
06-22-2006, 06:26 AM
The best way to go is to always replace drivers with OEM parts so that the driver will perform like it's supposed to in the cabinet and in relation to any other drivers.

You could try calling Velodyne and / or an authorized service center (search web) to see if you could purchase the drivers.

Another option would be to contact some speaker repair / rebuilding places (search web) and see if they might be able to rebuild the drivers so that they perform close to original specs. Don't know if they would work on something like that or not. Never hurts to ask.

The LAST RESORT would be to find a driver the right size with roughly the same sensitivity. Is the driver round? 4" between diagonal screw holes? Are you saying that the driver's mounting plate is kind of squared off in shape? Does the driver need to fit into a recess or something like that?

audio amateur
06-22-2006, 06:56 AM
well Ive tried contacting Velodyne in the past and I havent had any replies. the problem is I live in switzerland so it would be difficult anyway.
As far as the driver, it is 4 inches but it's not exactly round, I mean the actual woofer is, but the front plat is shaped oddly, something you find on a lot of drivers. The cutout is the cabinet is shaped for the front plate of the driver, so I would need something of the same shape. I guess my best bet is to get drivers the same size, same efficiency... with a front plate that is the same shape...
The speakers don't mean that much to me, I'm planning on getting new ones in the near futur when I have the money, mean while I need to change the woofers. I'm, not all that worried as to how well they sound.

royphil345
06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Ah... Didn't catch the Switzerland part...

Well... Woofers like the ones you need are pretty common. Don't know where to recommend you shop though.

Found these at parts Express, but saw they have a $50.00 minimum for international shipping. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-372

If you have access to a multi - tester, it might be wise to test the resistance across the terminals of one of the working woofers to see if it's 4 ohm or 8 ohm. Chances are it's 8 ohm, but being part of an all-in-one system... you never know. Parts express also has a 4 ohm version. Maybe the specs. for the speakers would tell you...

Sorry I can't be of more help... Just don't know where to send you shopping...

royphil345
06-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Here's more...

http://www.mcminone.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&category%5Fname=1000213&Page=1

International shipping policy looks better here.

emack27
06-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Here's an idea. If you keep blowing your ****ty speakers how bout getting some real good speakers that wont blow. Velodyne?....please.

Outlaw Audio: Model 990 Preamp/Processor
Outlaw Audio: Model 7500 5-channel Balanced Amplifier
SEAS: Excel Thor Main Speakers
SEAS: Excel Froy Mk3 Center Speaker
SEAS: Excel Odin Mk3 Surround Speakers

audio amateur
06-24-2006, 05:14 AM
Here's an idea. If you keep blowing your ****ty speakers how bout getting some real good speakers that wont blow. Velodyne?....please.

Outlaw Audio: Model 990 Preamp/Processor
Outlaw Audio: Model 7500 5-channel Balanced Amplifier
SEAS: Excel Thor Main Speakers
SEAS: Excel Froy Mk3 Center Speaker
SEAS: Excel Odin Mk3 Surround Speakers

Velodyne makes decent subwoofers, so I don't know where you got that" "velodyne?... please" from. I didn't think their surround package would be that bad. I didn't have much experience at the time and my budget was low. I honestly doubt any conventional 4 inch driver would withstand a clean 20Hz tone at high volume for very long.
Thanks for the suggestions royphil, i'll be considering them.

emack27
06-24-2006, 10:10 AM
OK let me get this straight. according to http://www.mcminone.com/category.asp...1000213&Page=1 the most expensive 4" driver is $20?
Not that I'm comparing apples to oranges here or anything but here's the cost of one SEAS Excel 4.5" Magnesium Cone Woofer with copper phase plug $124.00 and another distributer sells them each for $133. Forget about buying from SEAS they sell them for MSRP which would make them around $215 each.
My 6.5's cost $141 a piece and some distributers are even selling them for as much as $343 for a pair http://www.northcreekmusic.com/NorthCreekPriceList.pdf.
I think I heard somewhere that you generally get what you pay for?

emack27
06-24-2006, 11:06 AM
At $20 a pop I'de be blowing speakers too.

emack27
06-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Now if you had blown all of your drivers at once and had to totally disassemble and rebuild your cabinets then that might be something to throw a tissy about.
Other then that who cares?
Waste time over a $20 driver? WOW!

royphil345
06-24-2006, 10:32 PM
No less than four posts on this thread with the point being that your speakers are more expensive than his?

...And you say his asking for help with replacing an inexpensive driver is a waste of time??? Geesh...

audio amateur
06-25-2006, 04:58 AM
I don't believe there was anything to get straight. Just posting to show you that I did read your posts if that makes you happy. Glad you enjoy your "quality" seas drivers.