Step on up and place your bets [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Step on up and place your bets

ForeverAutumn
06-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Who's gonna take home the big silver prize? Edmonton? Carolina?

My money's on Edmonton. With the last two wins they've got momentum. Although, Carolina has something to prove and home ice advantage. They'll come out fighting.

Either way, it should be a very exciting game!

Snowbunny
06-19-2006, 01:43 PM

My money's on Edmonton. With the last two wins they've got momentum. Although, Carolina has something to prove and home ice advantage. They'll come out fighting.

It should be a great game, Autumn! Of course, my money's on the Oilers! :3:

I had a great dilemna tonight, though! Nine Parts of Desire and fine wine with my Book Club or 6 Parts Sweaty Men and strong Canadian beer.

Good Canadian that I am - guess what I chose!

Snowie

audiobill
06-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Hey, FA.

Edmonton, all the way, with one proviso -- as long as they stay out of the penalty box.

Should be a great game!!

It's been a long time since the silver cup came back to Canada.

Cheers,

Bill

Hyfi
06-19-2006, 03:02 PM
I guess I would bet on the Oilers after the way they played Saturday. I will be cheering for Carolina for the obvious reasons although there are probably no players on the team that are actually from Carolina. I was glad this series went to 7 games just so I could see a few more.

No matter who wins, it will be some of the best hockey played. It's a shame the Flyers couldn't hang with either of these two teams for a period.

Time to get the party started!!!

audio_dude
06-19-2006, 04:42 PM
GO OILERS!!!!!

THE CUP IS OURS!!!!

(no really, it is, it belongs to the canandian people)

Ex Lion Tamer
06-19-2006, 05:23 PM
I although there are probably no players on the team that are actually from Carolina. I don't think youd lose your shirt by making that bet.

3-LockBox
06-19-2006, 07:07 PM
What's hockey?

Dusty Chalk
06-19-2006, 09:34 PM
I had a great dilemna tonight, though! Nine Parts of Desire and fine wine with my Book Club or 6 Parts Sweaty Men and strong Canadian beer.

Good Canadian that I am - guess what I chose! I'm thinking your book club is sweaty eskimo women, so..."fine wine"?

I actually had some wine the other night, and it was good. First time I've been able to enjoy alcohol in a coon's age.
What's hockey?Get the puck out of here. With a stick. Puck == little rubber dingy, not a character from Shakespeare.

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2006, 05:36 AM
I have to say that although I would have liked to see Edmonton win, they sure didn't come out playing like winners. It wasn't even as exciting a game as I thought it would be. Sure it had its moments, but I've watched much better games over the season. Carolina deserved that win. Good for them.

It's interesting, to me, to see that 2/3 of the people who posted on this thread yesterday were Canadians. I wonder what the Canadian to American ratio of TV viewers was last night. I know that the bar that we went to was filled to the rafters with Torontonians rooting for Edmonton. It's nice to see the country come together at times like this. :thumbsup:

kexodusc
06-20-2006, 05:50 AM
I was the only person in Canada, I believe, cheering for Carolina. Before mom and dad retired back to North Dakota, they billeted a certain Carolina Hurricane for 2 years in Red Deer while he played junior hockey for the Rebels (and won a Memorial Cup MVP - oh the irony).
So it's cool to kinda sorta know a player.

I did live in Edmonton for 2 years, though when dad was stationed at the AFB there - back in the glory days of the Oilers - I was just a kid learning hockey then, and became an Oiler fan for life - so I felt a bit guilty betraying my childhood favs...but they have nothing to be ashamed of.
Great series, great year. The NHL got it right after the lockout! If only baseball had the guts.

audio_dude
06-20-2006, 01:38 PM
noooo.....carolina wins...

oh well, this is their first stanley cup...lets be happy for 'em

and kex, where in canada are you?

kexodusc
06-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Fredericton, NB - Smallest city I've ever lived in, and I like it...it takes me 8 minutes to drive to work, 10 minutes to the airport.
Can't beat it. Big change from Atlanta.

Swish
06-20-2006, 03:23 PM

You really didn't think the Oilers were going to go to Carolina and win? Fool! You crazy Canadians are all alike.

Regards,
Swish

P.S. Did you see my Hershey Bears won the Calder Cup? Hey, it ain't the Stanley, but not bad for a AAA club.

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Did you see my Hershey Bears won the Calder Cup? Hey, it ain't the Stanley, but not bad for a AAA club.

I care about your Hershey Bears almost as much as you care about Lacrosse. :ciappa:

MasterCylinder
06-21-2006, 04:20 AM
To FA and the other Canadian posters -- I watched all of game # 7 the other night.....it was a great game as most Stanley games are.
Being from the South, I am one of few that will watch NHL games.......when I tell my neighbors that they should check it out, I get funny looks.

Most of these people do not understand what the rules are: high-sticking is obvious enough but, off-sides is a bit harder to figure (even though they get it in soccer) and icing is impossible...........I tell them that is what you put on a cake.

Now that the final game is over, I can tell you that I went to the Vegas lines and saw that Carolina was a $1.70 (somewhat substantial) favorite right before the game began. When Carolina scored within the first two minutes, I figured Edmonton would have to wait for another day to take home the Cup.

Duds
06-21-2006, 05:10 AM
It was a great post-season in the NHL. It sucked to see my Rangers limp into the playoffs and get swept by the She-Devils, especially after having such a great season. But I was more than happy with the way they played all year.

Although I am from the US, i really wanted Edmonton to win. On the other hand, I was happy to see players like Rod Brind Amour finally win a cup.

Now, if we could get rid of Gary Buttman, I mean Bettman, and get a good commissioner, I think we'll be all set.