Help w/ DIY Surround Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ DIY Surround Speakers

jerky1280
01-30-2004, 06:53 AM
I'm building a set of surround (5.1) speakers for a class I'm taking, but I'm on a tight budget ($500). I'd like to build a decent 5-speaker system for now, and add a subwoofer at a later time. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I do know what decent speakers sound like. Is $500 too tight a budget for this project? :confused:

Also, recommendations for speakers and plans are HIGHLY appreciated. I'm completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information out there, and haven't been able to find a good place to start. Thanks so much!

Swerd
01-30-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm building a set of surround (5.1) speakers for a class I'm taking, but I'm on a tight budget ($500). I'd like to build a decent 5-speaker system for now, and add a subwoofer at a later time. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I do know what decent speakers sound like. Is $500 too tight a budget for this project? :confused:

Also, recommendations for speakers and plans are HIGHLY appreciated. I'm completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information out there, and haven't been able to find a good place to start. Thanks so much!
An inexpensive kit is available from Parts Express, called the Dayton BR-1. It sells for $140 a pair in kit form. Parts Express is good dealer for speaker building in general, and they are very helpful on the phone if you have questions. Have a look and see if this fits your needs. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640

karl k
01-30-2004, 08:52 PM

Also, recommendations for speakers and plans are HIGHLY appreciated. I'm completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information out there, and haven't been able to find a good place to start. Thanks so much!Check out the AR.com/Ed Fias DIY 2-ways here...

http://www.audioreview.com/Learncrx.aspx Lot's of good things said and have a pair myself. About $200us/pair for parts and you save $90 or so if you build your own box's. Lot's of support in this forum both current and Old AR forums(on right side of this page under "green links")