Off by a grid!!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Off by a grid!!!!!!!!!!

jrhymeammo
06-18-2006, 01:52 PM
So, I whipped out GEO-DISC and checked my cart for first time in 3-4 months. It was off by over 2mm, and alignment was slightly off too. How often do you guys check your cart?

My Tone-Loc 12"(45rpm) "Wild Thing" never sounded so good.

trollgirl
06-18-2006, 06:39 PM
...stylus condition a lot more than cartridge alignment. I have both an alignment gauge and a stylus microscope, and guess which one is easier to use?

Laz

nobody
06-19-2006, 04:20 AM
I check mine every time I switch cartridges, which is fairly often as I use a different cartridge to burn vinyl to CD as my regular listening. And, for listening in the car and such, I burn stuff fairly often, probably seldom go more than a week or two without burning something.

JohnMichael
06-19-2006, 06:45 AM
I also use the MoFi GeoDisc to align my cartridges on my Rega. One of the toughest steps for me was sighting the pivot. Now that I know how to do that consisitenly every time I change cartridges I get the alignment correct. Once I have the cart. installed and the hardware tightened it will always stay in place.

jrhymeammo
06-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I also use the MoFi GeoDisc to align my cartridges on my Rega. One of the toughest steps for me was sighting the pivot. Now that I know how to do that consisitenly every time I change cartridges I get the alignment correct. Once I have the cart. installed and the hardware tightened it will always stay in place.

I like Geo-Disc alot, but it's really hard to tell if my cart is aligned correctly.
This takes some guessing and patience. Almost like putting on well manicured green. I think it would help if I tape a piece of very light and straight wire on front of my cart. That way I can see if it is aligned correctly from the top in respect to grids. Unfortunately that is very hard to find

JohnMichael
06-20-2006, 11:49 AM
I like Geo-Disc alot, but it's really hard to tell if my cart is aligned correctly.
This takes some guessing and patience. Almost like putting on well manicured green. I think it would help if I tape a piece of very light and straight wire on front of my cart. That way I can see if it is aligned correctly from the top in respect to grids. Unfortunately that is very hard to find

If you ever buy an Ortofon OM20 then the fun really begins. The all black cartridge without parallel sides is tough for my 50 year old eyes to mount. Once you have it aligned properly though the magic begins and of course you never have to do it again.

jrhymeammo
06-20-2006, 08:26 PM
If you ever buy an Ortofon OM20 then the fun really begins. The all black cartridge without parallel sides is tough for my 50 year old eyes to mount. Once you have it aligned properly though the magic begins and of course you never have to do it again.

I forgot that you are the man who turned me on to Alpha Core IC. I love their Silver line for my analog setup. How do you stack Ortofon OM10, 20, 30, and 40 to other MM carts you have lived with? I'm starting to look at their MC series to get a taste of moving coil.

JohnMichael
06-21-2006, 07:43 AM
I forgot that you are the man who turned me on to Alpha Core IC. I love their Silver line for my analog setup. How do you stack Ortofon OM10, 20, 30, and 40 to other MM carts you have lived with? I'm starting to look at their MC series to get a taste of moving coil.

My cartridge experience involves the following models.

Grado cartridges which I have never felt sounded their best in my Rega tonearm. Good bass and warm sounding.

Audio Technica AT440ML is the opposite of the Grado. Bright and fast but instruments never sounded natural. Great string tone but little sound of the body of the instrument is the best way I can think to put it. Very much two dimensional.

Sumiko Blue Point is a high output mc cartridge that has wonderful sound staging but lacking in dynamics. I listen to a variety of rock, jazz and classical but found the cartridge to easy going for some rock and jazz.

Ortofon OM 20 does not have the depth of the sound stage that the Blue Point has but better dynamics and a more neutral balance between the Grado and the AT. I find it as revealing as the BP with complex classical music. Good lateral sound staging with fair depth. I use the OM 20 exclusively now.

Dyanavector 10X2 which is worn out was a great high output mc. When I get the urge to try another cartridge it will be the latest version the 10X5.

There are certainly more expensive cartridges out there I would like to try after a change in fortunes. I am glad to read you like the AlphaCores.

jrhymeammo
06-24-2006, 09:00 PM
My cartridge experience involves the following models.

Grado cartridges which I have never felt sounded their best in my Rega tonearm. Good bass and warm sounding.

Audio Technica AT440ML is the opposite of the Grado. Bright and fast but instruments never sounded natural. Great string tone but little sound of the body of the instrument is the best way I can think to put it. Very much two dimensional.

Sumiko Blue Point is a high output mc cartridge that has wonderful sound staging but lacking in dynamics. I listen to a variety of rock, jazz and classical but found the cartridge to easy going for some rock and jazz.

Ortofon OM 20 does not have the depth of the sound stage that the Blue Point has but better dynamics and a more neutral balance between the Grado and the AT. I find it as revealing as the BP with complex classical music. Good lateral sound staging with fair depth. I use the OM 20 exclusively now.

Dyanavector 10X2 which is worn out was a great high output mc. When I get the urge to try another cartridge it will be the latest version the 10X5.

There are certainly more expensive cartridges out there I would like to try after a change in fortunes. I am glad to read you like the AlphaCores.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm now very interested in Goldring Eroica LX, Garrot P77, K series, and Audio Technica OC9.

-JRA