Remotes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Remotes

first timer
06-18-2006, 11:44 AM
I now need some recommendations on a good remote. I have been told that RTI, mynevo and Universal Remote are all good. Some of them are quite pricey(over 1k). I don't need anything fancy just something that is functional and future proof. I noticed some are wi-fi also. Is one any better than the other?

EdwardGein
06-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I think you definately should go for a $900 remote. I'll be happy to sell you my custom made $2,000 remote, that has hardly been used in perfect condition for $900.

westcott
06-19-2006, 09:07 AM
firsttimer,

I highly recommend the Logitech Harmony line. Very versatile, easy to program, and the 688 works with Next Generations RF Hubs so line of sight is not necessary.

Good Luck,
"His and Her Room!"

Sorry Ed, did not mean to squelch your possible sale!

EdwardGein
06-19-2006, 09:24 AM
I think you can sell yours too him for $800- A bargain!

AVMASTER
06-19-2006, 09:44 AM
there's plenty of good remotes out there but you need to determine what capabilities the remote has that fits your requirements, i.e. will the equipment be out of sight, are you using a DVR, combo unit, is the remote easy to set-up, is it activity based, is it backlit, does the equipment have discreet commands-direct remote control commands for power on, power off, inputs, etc.., the list can go on but if you make a list of what you what it to do vs. what you need we can help you make a better choice

topspeed
06-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Check out remotecentral.com for reviews and recommendations. Also check out their forums as this is where you discover the quirks and annoyances that every universal remote suffers.

Personally, I can't imagine spending that kind of dough on a freakin' remote, but perhaps your rig is exceptionally complex.

first timer
06-24-2006, 06:38 AM
I think I will pass on preowned remotes that you guys are offering at an inflated price. I will check out the website though. I figure a remote in the$ 300 range should be adequate.

RoyY51
06-24-2006, 01:55 PM
I, too, heartily recommend the Logitech Harmony line. My 676 has made it possible for my entire family to access any function (Play DVD, Watch TV, Play Music) with the push of one button. Even my long-suffering wife (ANOTHER black box?) has warmed to it, to the point of recommending it to a friend. The internet download is quick and simple: the entire process took about 20 minutes. I got mine on ebay for $75.00.

HAVIC
06-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Defintely look at the Logitech Harmony 880. (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlistharmony/US/EN,crid=2080,categoryid=406)

first timer
07-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I had it narrowed down to the Universal MX-850 and the Logitech Harmony 880. I went with the Harmony. Both received good user reviews and both are very capable for what I need. The Harmony has rechargeable batteries while the MX does not. Plus the price point was better with the Harmony. Now I am looking forward to programing it. Thanks for all the useful info.

agtpunx40
07-07-2006, 12:29 PM
I picked up a Harmony 880 for $79 after rebate and it is sweet. The rebate is dead now, but they still pop up on dell for under $150. It is basically totally customizable if you are willing to put in a little effort. check out remotecentral.com. It's a pretty good resource for purchasing, and then programing, your remote.