Cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cables

s dog
06-18-2006, 11:35 AM
I just got done building a amp stand for my power amp so i can set it on the floor, i need to make more room on my audio stand and i hope the amp will run cooler setting out in the open. The thing is i will need 10ft cables to reach from the receiver to the power amp, I have several 6ft AR cables all ready. my ? is will it hurt anything to hook the cables together with a rca connectors to get my 10ft, any help would be appreciated

JoeE SP9
06-18-2006, 06:42 PM
You will not hurt anything by extending your cables.:)

jocko_nc
06-19-2006, 08:23 AM
By all means, don't buy those cables at the mall. $$$$$. PartsExpress is a much better bet.

I have long runs of pre-amp level going to-and-from my subs, its just the way I have them hooked up. Also, I have to go through some built-in shelves with a jack plate and bulkhead fittings. I decided to go with quad shield RG6 coax cable (same stuff satellite antenae use). I do think it is a better cable for long runs, a better conductor and superior shielding. Long runs of wire can pick up noise. My RG6's are very quiet, I had some 60Hz noise with patch cords. PartsExpress has nice ends and fittings for a reasonable price. They have RCA-style end adapters, which makes for a nice cable.

jocko

s dog
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I will get it hooked up and running.