Satisfaction with subwoofer just for music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Satisfaction with subwoofer just for music

J C
06-17-2006, 08:04 AM
:16: Hi,

My preference is for music in two channels not video, multi-channel or HT.
My room has the following dimensions: L = 28,8’ W = 19,8’ H = 12,4’ ( 8.78m 6,03m 3,77m)
My tube Preamp has one pair of outputs marked “Amp1 -||- (capacitor)” and another pair marked “Amp2”.
It’s possible to connect my Triode Class A 25W Amp to the “Amp2” pair and hear my pair of Quads-model 22L in full, without a subwoofer.
It’s also possible to connect a powered subwoofer to “Amp2” and the Triode to “Amp1 -||-” (a kind of biamplification). In this case (using a subwoofer) the Quads would receive only frequencies above 130Hz.
I’ve been using only the Quads, but I’m looking for a Sub to add to the system.
I got the impression that the Paradigm Servo 15 would be a great choice, but it is well above my budget. So are the B&Ws.
The ones which would fit, it seems, would be Axiom, HSU Research and SVS, but here where I live they are not available for hearing and even if I chose one brand I wouldn’t know the model adequate for my room.
So, I’m posting this first message with the hope that you guys know best and could help me.
Could you?

drseid
06-17-2006, 11:38 AM
While you are definitely looking at some quality brands, I actually would recommend a couple different brands for music use (since HT does not seem to be a priority)... REL and ACI are brands I feel are better suited for your requirements. REL is on the pricey side, but probably is the best bet for your needs... that said, a close second (and much more affordable, subjectively offering better "bang for the buck") is ACI sold Internet only at http://www.audioc.com

They have several models that would fit the bill nicely from the Titan at about $1200 on up. Their subs (like the RELs) have very flexable crossover options with adjustable slopes that can be fine tuned for better integration with your mains.

Good luck...

---Dave

Geoffcin
06-17-2006, 02:09 PM
:16: Hi,

My preference is for music in two channels not video, multi-channel or HT.
My room has the following dimensions: L = 28,8’ W = 19,8’ H = 12,4’ ( 8.78m 6,03m 3,77m)
My tube Preamp has one pair of outputs marked “Amp1 -||- (capacitor)” and another pair marked “Amp2”.
It’s possible to connect my Triode Class A 25W Amp to the “Amp2” pair and hear my pair of Quads-model 22L in full, without a subwoofer.
It’s also possible to connect a powered subwoofer to “Amp2” and the Triode to “Amp1 -||-” (a kind of biamplification). In this case (using a subwoofer) the Quads would receive only frequencies above 130Hz.
I’ve been using only the Quads, but I’m looking for a Sub to add to the system.
I got the impression that the Paradigm Servo 15 would be a great choice, but it is well above my budget. So are the B&Ws.
The ones which would fit, it seems, would be Axiom, HSU Research and SVS, but here where I live they are not available for hearing and even if I chose one brand I wouldn’t know the model adequate for my room.
So, I’m posting this first message with the hope that you guys know best and could help me.
Could you?

Absolutely recommend would be a servo controlled sub. Both Paradigm and Velodyne make superb servo controlled subs.

However, subs have been getting markedly better in the last 5 years, and depending on how loud you play them the difference in total distortion between them and a servo controlled sub might be vanisingly low.

I've had the Axiom EPI-500 in direct comparison with my Velodynes, and they acquitted themselves admirably. Only at the highest SPL's, and the most closest critcal listening could I tell a qualitative difference. There WAS a difference though, so the choice is one of degree.